Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Softening the String Bed? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458332)

EastAngels2014 03-20-2013 07:53 PM

Softening the String Bed?

So i am just looking to soften my string bed with a cross of a multi or a synthetic, and i was just wondering is it worth the extra money to get a multi? Will it add anything that a synthetic gut wont? Thank You

cluckcluck 03-20-2013 09:05 PM

What are you using currently? Have you tried lowering the tension to soften the bed overall?

EastAngels2014 03-20-2013 09:31 PM

I am using pro line 2 and gamma synthetic, at 52/54 and i like how it feels but my main purpose of the thread was to figure out if getting a reel of synthetic for cheap would do the same job as a multi in terms of softening the string bed.

Rabbit 03-21-2013 03:52 AM

Yep, stay cheap on the crosses you'll be fine. I don't see any benefit to using a more expensive multi. If you want to soften your stringbed even more, drop the cross tension to the same as the mains.

anubis 03-21-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7292216)
So i am just looking to soften my string bed with a cross of a multi or a synthetic, and i was just wondering is it worth the extra money to get a multi? Will it add anything that a synthetic gut wont? Thank You

You aren't going to notice any softening of the string bed if you use any old synthetic gut. 90% of the cheap synthetic guts out there are just as stiff as the softest polys.

People that cross with a cheap syn gut do it to save money, not because of any performance increases or stringbed softening. In fact, some of the cheaper syn guts such as Gosen OGSM are just as stiff as many poly strings.

If you really want to soften the string bed, you can't be concerned too much with price. Softer strings are more expensive, stiffer strings are less expensive, in general.

You're going to have to go with a soft multi if you really want to make a dent in the overall stiffness of the frame. I suggest Dunlop DNA. It's VERY soft. It averages in the low 140s @ 51 lbs, compared to a Prince Original Syn gut or Gosen, which averages in the mid 180s.

Look at it this way: if you cross with it, you're getting two string jobs for the price of one.

TennezSport 03-21-2013 06:53 AM

Nailed it..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7292844)
You aren't going to notice any softening of the string bed if you use any old synthetic gut. 90% of the cheap synthetic guts out there are just as stiff as the softest polys.
People that cross with a cheap syn gut do it to save money, not because of any performance increases or stringbed softening. In fact, some of the cheaper syn guts such as Gosen OGSM are just as stiff as many poly strings.
If you really want to soften the string bed, you can't be concerned too much with price. Softer strings are more expensive, stiffer strings are less expensive, in general.
You're going to have to go with a soft multi if you really want to make a dent in the overall stiffness of the frame. I suggest Dunlop DNA. It's VERY soft. It averages in the low 140s @ 51 lbs, compared to a Prince Original Syn gut or Gosen, which averages in the mid 180s.
Look at it this way: if you cross with it, you're getting two string jobs for the price of one.

Anubis has nailed it. When you look at the string construction and stiffness index you find that multis', designed to mimmick NG string, are the next best thing to absorbing shock as NG. Multi string is also harder to make and therefore the higher cost. You will soften your stringbed and increase feel with multi string but your question will be is the cost and loss of durability worth it to you. I have always said find what works for you and your game and forget what everyone else is doing. Good luck in your search.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Muppet 03-21-2013 02:13 PM

Isn't it acceptable to use a cheaper multi as a cross? I'm using Hexy Fiber 16, which is supposed to be a fragile full bed. I'm getting good softness and a lot of feel. I'm stringing it 5 lbs. higher than the Cyber Flash 1.25 mains. It goes for only $6.95 per set.

unorthodox stringing 03-21-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7292355)
I am using pro line 2 and gamma synthetic, at 52/54 and i like how it feels but my main purpose of the thread was to figure out if getting a reel of synthetic for cheap would do the same job as a multi in terms of softening the string bed.

How about reversing the poly/syn gut to syn gut/poly or multi/poly?

I recall trying the pro supex big ace 1.25 in mains with multi cross vs multi mains with big ace cross. The difference in stringbed softness is huge.

The surprising thing I noticed was the control and spin levels did not drop much with multi mains. It was so comfortable that it almost felt like a fullbed of multis to me, without the mushiness.

Between using multi or syn gut cross with poly mains, I felt multi generally have much better vibration dampening, especially with a stiff poly mains. Softness seems about the same.

EastAngels2014 03-21-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unorthodox stringing (Post 7294060)
How about reversing the poly/syn gut to syn gut/poly or multi/poly?

I recall trying the pro supex big ace 1.25 in mains with multi cross vs multi mains with big ace cross. The difference in stringbed softness is huge.

The surprising thing I noticed was the control and spin levels did not drop much with multi mains. It was so comfortable that it almost felt like a fullbed of multis to me, without the mushiness.

Between using multi or syn gut cross with poly mains, I felt multi generally have much better vibration dampening, especially with a stiff poly mains. Softness seems about the same.

I just did that and if felt great but i broke it with in 4 hours of hitting and i cant restring that often even though i have my own stringer, the price of the strings would be to high for the poly at least.

anubis 03-22-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 7293704)
Isn't it acceptable to use a cheaper multi as a cross? I'm using Hexy Fiber 16, which is supposed to be a fragile full bed. I'm getting good softness and a lot of feel. I'm stringing it 5 lbs. higher than the Cyber Flash 1.25 mains. It goes for only $6.95 per set.

I'm using hexy fiber as well, but not as a cross... in a full bed. I don't recommend it. Yes, it's very soft, but I think it would be terrible as a cross. It's way too rough -- has a lot of string friction. I'm afraid that even the slickest poly mains wouldn't slide well at all.

If you're going for a soft multi cross, you should go with the smoothest one you can find, nothing textured. You want the poly mains to just snap back almost as quickly as they would had you strung full poly.

One of the biggest reasons why poly is so effect with spin is because it returns back to its original position very quickly and without any help from the player. Part of the production of topspin is the string snapping back into place. If this snap back happens while the ball is leaving the string bed, then the strings will put even more spin on the ball.

but if the mains are locked in place or hindered by a very rough cross, then they wouldn't be doing their "duty" as spin-inducing mains should.

Muppet 03-22-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7294749)
I'm using hexy fiber as well, but not as a cross... in a full bed. I don't recommend it. Yes, it's very soft, but I think it would be terrible as a cross. It's way too rough -- has a lot of string friction. I'm afraid that even the slickest poly mains wouldn't slide well at all.

If you're going for a soft multi cross, you should go with the smoothest one you can find, nothing textured. You want the poly mains to just snap back almost as quickly as they would had you strung full poly.

One of the biggest reasons why poly is so effect with spin is because it returns back to its original position very quickly and without any help from the player. Part of the production of topspin is the string snapping back into place. If this snap back happens while the ball is leaving the string bed, then the strings will put even more spin on the ball.

but if the mains are locked in place or hindered by a very rough cross, then they wouldn't be doing their "duty" as spin-inducing mains should.

You're right about a full bed of Hexy Fiber. I tried the 16g and the mains and crosses do chew eachother up. And they're hard to straighten. But with a smooth (Cyber Flash 1.25) or slick (Dunlop Ice 17) main the Hexy 16 cross really holds up. I didn't need to straighten them and I had them in the racquet for at least 6 playing hours plus many idle hours. Given a compatible main string, there's no durability problem for Hexy Fiber. I'm 2 for 2 so far. But I wouldn't try Hexy Fiber with a rough or shaped poly main.

Have you tried it as a cross? It's a far better application than full bed. I'm thinking that down the road I may try a Hexy full bed with silicone spray next time.

anubis 03-22-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 7295457)
You're right about a full bed of Hexy Fiber. I tried the 16g and the mains and crosses do chew eachother up. And they're hard to straighten. But with a smooth (Cyber Flash 1.25) or slick (Dunlop Ice 17) main the Hexy 16 cross really holds up. I didn't need to straighten them and I had them in the racquet for at least 6 playing hours plus many idle hours. Given a compatible main string, there's no durability problem for Hexy Fiber. I'm 2 for 2 so far. But I wouldn't try Hexy Fiber with a rough or shaped poly main.

Have you tried it as a cross? It's a far better application than full bed. I'm thinking that down the road I may try a Hexy full bed with silicone spray next time.

I have one pack left, I'm considering trying it out as a cross next, but I also have a couple other packs of stuff (I buy way too many strings!). I have Babolat Addiction, Prince Premiere Attack and Babolat Xcel Comfort. They are all smooth, and almost as soft as Hexy Fiber. I'm thinking that any of them would do better as a cross. I may just save my last pack of Hexy Fiber for my backup racquet.

Muppet 03-23-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7296466)
I have one pack left, I'm considering trying it out as a cross next, but I also have a couple other packs of stuff (I buy way too many strings!). I have Babolat Addiction, Prince Premiere Attack and Babolat Xcel Comfort. They are all smooth, and almost as soft as Hexy Fiber. I'm thinking that any of them would do better as a cross. I may just save my last pack of Hexy Fiber for my backup racquet.

I think that part of the reason a shaped string makes a good cross for a poly main is that there is less contact area and friction between the main and the cross. Please let us know how your cross string trials go.

tvizz 03-24-2013 06:19 AM

I have been stringing with Wilson sensation lately. It feels very soft and seems to be rated as softer than some of the other Wilson multis.

It's currently on sale for 3 sets of 120 foot reels. Like $6 a set it comes to or something.