Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Federer and Nadal switch racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458338)

Stevo Karlovic 03-20-2013 09:23 PM

Federer and Nadal switch racquets

What would happen if Nadal was forced to play with the Six.One 90? I believe this hypothetical question answers any doubt that racquet technology has great bearing on the one-sidedness of this rivalry. That Aero Pro Drive with RPM Blast absolutely scorches the ball, and in essence, covers far more court with its high forgiveness. This is a glaring advantage that Federer should not be so stubborn or naïve to, any longer.

Consider this:

Two out of three PGA Tour golfers carry an "R" series driver by Taylormade. The R7 inparticular, was carried by an uncanny, 75% of golfers in 2009.

VeeSe 03-20-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo Karlovic (Post 7292336)
What would happen if Nadal was forced to play with the Six.One 90? I believe this hypothetical question answers any doubt that racquet technology has great bearing on the one-sidedness of this rivalry. That Aero Pro Drive with RPM Blast absolutely scorches the ball, and in essence, covers far more court with its high forgiveness. This is a glaring advantage that Federer should not be so stubborn or naïve to, any longer.

Consider this:

Two out of three PGA Tour golfers carry an "R" series driver by Taylormade. The R7 inparticular, was carried by an uncanny, 75% of golfers in 2009.

Consider this:

ATP tour players have the same choice that pro golfers do of using the racquet that they prefer. Yet I don't see 75% of pro tennis players using Babolats. In fact, I see players using an array of racquets. This has existed forever. Sampras used a small headed racquet, very similar to Federer's. Agassi used an oversize racquet. There's not one racquet for everybody.

Devilito 03-21-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeSe (Post 7292360)
Consider this:

ATP tour players have the same choice that pro golfers do of using the racquet that they prefer. Yet I don't see 75% of pro tennis players using Babolats. In fact, I see players using an array of racquets. This has existed forever. Sampras used a small headed racquet, very similar to Federer's. Agassi used an oversize racquet. There's not one racquet for everybody.

Ignore federer and nadal. The top 5 are like in a different sport from the rest of the field. Imagine a player that just hit the top 100, is finally able to afford fries with his burger, gets a call from babolat, “Hey, so what’s your favorite racquet?”, “Wilson, why?”….. “well how about if we offered you $100,000/ year to use babolat?”…. “did I say Wilson? I meant Babolat!.... so when will the check get here?”

dje31 03-21-2013 05:42 AM

TaylorMade also has a huge "pay-to-play" / "tee-it-up" incentive on the PGA tour. HUGE marketing / sponsorship budget. Pros may have another sponsor brand on their hat, bag, etc., but put a TM driver in there.

Lots of pros need the extra income, and their sponsorship contract often allows other brands in the bag. Hard to blame them.

Plus, drivers are used, essentially, for one shot: off the tee, booming down the fairway. Okay, sometimes they use them for relief on a free drop, using the longest club in the bag.

Tennis players use one racquet for all shots...at least they used to. I seem to recall, in the not-too-distant past, folks who play singles would, on occasion, come to net to volley, but that may be an urban myth.

ollinger 03-21-2013 08:22 AM

"I believe this hypothetical question answers any doubt...." intones the OP. How, kind sir, can a hypothetical quesion ever resolve doubt?? Look up the definition of "question."

amx13 03-21-2013 09:50 AM

I would say both of them would struggle with each frame, Nadal would hardly generate the same spin and power with the wilson, and Federer would hardly keep the ball on the court with the babolat. Those frame are as opposed as can be in terms of feel, so getting used to them would be really hard on both players.

TheCheese 03-21-2013 12:47 PM

I think Federer's game would translate much better to Nadal's racket than the other way around.

dje31 03-21-2013 01:30 PM

^^^ TheCheese speaks the truth. Word up.

Stevo Karlovic 03-21-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7293051)
"I believe this hypothetical question answers any doubt...." intones the OP. How, kind sir, can a hypothetical quesion ever resolve doubt?? Look up the definition of "question."

My man, since you only have the ability to read words and not their meanings, I'll elaborate in a more conservative way to appease your narrow-mindedness: "I believe this hypothetical question answers any doubt", is to suggest that all those reading the "what if (?)", would render the same determination - that being Nadal would have very little success wielding Federer's racquet.

Now, do you have anything to offer in response to the content of my original post? Not that you hadn't already understood the angle perfectly fine, but decided to wax elitism and mindfully take the low-road.

Praetorian 03-24-2013 08:04 AM

Federer would still be ranked where he is, +/- 2 spots. Nadal would drop out of the top 100, and concentrate on online poker.

hoodjem 03-24-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCheese (Post 7293515)
I think Federer's game would translate much better to Nadal's racket than the other way around.

So how would Nadal's game translate to a wooden racquet with a 66 sq. in. head-size, and natural gut strings?

mikeespinmusic 03-31-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dje31 (Post 7292743)
I seem to recall, in the not-too-distant past, folks who play singles would, on occasion, come to net to volley, but that may be an urban myth.

That's crazy talk..... Back to the nut house for you!

:P

brage tennis 03-31-2013 04:17 AM

if they switched rackets Federer would hit everything long and nadal would frame like crazy!

Relinquis 03-31-2013 05:20 AM

I'm pretty sure federer could lead up the babolat close to his required weight and balance. might be a little stiff and uncomfortable though.

could be a bigger adjustment for nadal, but i think he could still hit a heavy ball. might have to adjust to a different launch angle or end up going for more extreme angles instead of his normally loopy shots. he might also find that he can just blast people off the court and shorten points by driving the ball more. i don't think it will change his style materially. would probably be very similar or the same results in their head to head.

i think, for nadal, the adjustment will be more psychological than anything else.

struggle 03-31-2013 07:31 AM

Nadal would still pick his ***** and sniff his hand before every serve.

Fed would still never give his winning opponent any credit, claiming if he had played better he wouldn't have lost.

nothing would change.

SwankPeRFection 04-02-2013 10:41 AM

For those of you who think Fed can't hit like Nadal simply because of the racquet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDNRNv5FBC0

Ya, can you imagine how boring that will be to watch 3+ hours of that bs going back and forth?

The Meat 04-02-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7321006)
For those of you who think Fed can't hit like Nadal simply because of the racquet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDNRNv5FBC0

Ya, can you imagine how boring that will be to watch 3+ hours of that bs going back and forth?

With a bigger racquet Federer would still be hitting the same shots, only less shanking. ;)

Also, why bump an old thread, that is a clone of several other threads?

Might as well bump the older original thread, linking it to this bump. Bumpception.

SwankPeRFection 04-02-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7321016)
With a bigger racquet Federer would still be hitting the same shots, only less shanking. ;)

Also, why bump an old thread, that is a clone of several other threads?

Might as well bump the older original thread, linking it to this bump. Bumpception.

lol, ya, that'll help with the mishits. :rolleyes:

And this is hardly an old thread. You act like this thread was created in 2011 or something.

SuperHead 04-07-2013 09:32 AM

It would be really awesome if they swapped rackets.

Lukhas 04-07-2013 09:42 AM

Nadal's not going to like Fed's racquet if it happens, despite the open pattern. Not sure Fed would like a head heavy but lighter one either though. Would kill his net play. Does the racquet switch includes the string switch? Because Federer has little to gain by going full poly.