Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long does Bab RPM Blast Last? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458340)

Mick3391 03-20-2013 10:15 PM

How long does Bab RPM Blast Last?
 
Got that in my Bab Aero at 55lbs. I've played let's say 16 hours with it, but it seems different now, not as much pop, and a "Thud" and shaking racquet when I hit.

My imagination or has it weakened already? I don't have experience with Poly.

Doubles 03-20-2013 10:20 PM

Polys start declining in playability from the beginning. Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken you this long to notice it, even without much experience with poly.

The Meat 03-20-2013 10:31 PM

RPM Blast died(felt like hitting with a board) on the 3rd day for me, which is about 10 hours. Look for a poly that can hold tension better, there are tons of threads about the switch from RPM Blast to a better and usually cheaper alternative.

fuzz nation 03-21-2013 04:43 AM

I'm hoping to get one of the sluggers that I coach to try out a set of Tourna Poly Black 7 in 16 gauge. He's been using RPM Blast for a bit, but I've found some feedback here from other Black 7 users who also preferred this string to RPM Blast.

Since the Tourna Poly is a lot cheaper, I'm curious to know how this stuff compares - I'll be stringing a lot this summer and since I don't use poly myself, any samplings like this are helpful for me. Gotta stock up soon.

I'll hopefully have some results to share here soon.

Ennismt 03-21-2013 05:02 AM

You might try Head Sonic Pro Edge as well. I found BHB7 to be a bit too springy. It starts off crisp for 3-4 hrs then I lost a lot of control. Head SPE seems to be holding the crispness longer. Like BHB7, It is softer and more powerful than RPM. It is more expensive than BHB7, however.

Lambsscroll 03-21-2013 05:18 AM

16 hours with playability that you liked. Not bad at all.

In those 16 hours did it perform a lot better than synthetic strings you used in the past? If so I would stick with RPM Blast.

Ennismt 03-21-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambsscroll (Post 7292701)
16 hours with playability that you liked. Not bad at all.

In those 16 hours did it perform a lot better than synthetic strings you used in the past? If so I would stick with RPM Blast.

Good point.

Mick3391 03-21-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7292420)
RPM Blast died(felt like hitting with a board) on the 3rd day for me, which is about 10 hours. Look for a poly that can hold tension better, there are tons of threads about the switch from RPM Blast to a better and usually cheaper alternative.

Yea that's it, feels like hitting a board, best way to put it.

I'm going to switch to NXT Tour, have that in my K-Factors and love it, plus it seems to go on and on.

tlm 03-21-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7292405)
Got that in my Bab Aero at 55lbs. I've played let's say 16 hours with it, but it seems different now, not as much pop, and a "Thud" and shaking racquet when I hit.

My imagination or has it weakened already? I don't have experience with Poly.

When I used the rpm blast it played great for a couple times out + then it went down hill quickly. I ended up using the rpm team instead because it kept its playability longer.

Mick3391 03-22-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7293635)
When I used the rpm blast it played great for a couple times out + then it went down hill quickly. I ended up using the rpm team instead because it kept its playability longer.

But how much longer? I don't want to re-string every couple of weeks. We play maybe, it varies but say 8 hours a week or so.

I like the NXT Tour, seems to never stop. I'm thinking to stringing it at 50 pounds, what do you think?

AYone 03-22-2013 09:55 AM

I don't think you have to go that low for a multi. Yeah, RPM died on me after only a week or two of tennis. But they were really impressive when fresh.

Mick3391 03-22-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYone (Post 7295339)
I don't think you have to go that low for a multi. Yeah, RPM died on me after only a week or two of tennis. But they were really impressive when fresh.

Yea it's awesome when fresh, pop, touch, everything, but yea now it's like hitting a board.

I used NXT tour in both of my K-Factors, one at 62 other at 55, they play well, a bit hard compared to RPM, so I'm thinking at 50 I'd have the pop, and dwell time that you get with RPM. I'm just not changing string every couple weeks, and the NXT seems to last forever.

tlm 03-22-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7295318)
But how much longer? I don't want to re-string every couple of weeks. We play maybe, it varies but say 8 hours a week or so.

I like the NXT Tour, seems to never stop. I'm thinking to stringing it at 50 pounds, what do you think?

I hit almost everyday so I restring once a week but the rpm blast went bad in a couple of times out.

As far as nxt tour goes i have used that in the past and the 18 gauge is a terrific string. I am going to try a set in my new racket, I have only used poly so far. I usually string a multi at 56 lbs. minimum but of coarse it depends on the player and the racket.

Bhairava 03-23-2013 11:16 PM

After 6 hours I feel my RPM blast stringebed has lost ever sharpness.
After 8 hours I feel very big tension loss.
After 10 hours I feel the impellent need to cut them.
That's why I'll change this string, and I'm looking for same spinness with better duration or lower cost.

aznhippos 03-24-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7293635)
When I used the rpm blast it played great for a couple times out + then it went down hill quickly. I ended up using the rpm team instead because it kept its playability longer.

How much longer does RPM Team last than RPM Blast

Edit: nvm, realized you answered it already!

sm01 03-24-2013 08:29 AM

I'm getting a comfortable controlled life of 40- 50 hrs for RPM Blast 18 strung at various combinations in the mid 40# range in a Head Microgel Prestige Pro, after which it gets a bit boardy and vague, and I cut it out. What seems weird to me is that this occurs when the mains are about 30-40 % sawed through, which is when my former favorite Wilson Sensation 17 played its best.

I find RPM B to be amazingly consistent throughout its life. Much better than Sensation 17 at 52.

My observation is that that the problems with RPM B arise when it is strung at tensions over 48#. I do not like it at all over 51 or 52--I would not use it if I required tension over 48.

Nostradamus 03-24-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7292405)
Got that in my Bab Aero at 55lbs. I've played let's say 16 hours with it, but it seems different now, not as much pop, and a "Thud" and shaking racquet when I hit.

My imagination or has it weakened already? I don't have experience with Poly.

for me, It lasts only 4 hours and that thud starts to happen

Francis27 03-24-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznhippos (Post 7299213)
How much longer does RPM Team last than RPM Blast

Edit: nvm, realized you answered it already!

I really love the RPM Team i put it on my Pure Drive. I did notice it had a bit more playability than the Blast as the blast died pretty quick for me around the 12hour mark but the team usually lasts around 20-28hours for me but its still pretty good past that


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse