Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which Setup for HEAD Graphene Speed Pro? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458413)

sberman51 03-21-2013 05:51 PM

Which Setup for HEAD Graphene Speed Pro?

I have 4 Head Graphene Speed Pro's on the way, and I'm debating between 2 string setups. Hopefully some people on the Racquet forum will have some experience with the Graphene Speed Pro and possibly some insight as to which would work best in this frame:
1. Full-bed of Head Sonic Pro Edge
2. Hybrid of Sonic Pro Edge/Mantis Comfort Synthetic (MCS)

Some details:
I am an aggressive baseline player who likes to use a lot of spin. The new Graphene Speed Pro's have an 18x20 string pattern and this will be my first switch to a racquet with such a dense string pattern, so keep that in mind.
I am also thinking that if I hybrid the Sonic Pro Edge, I can get twice as many setups out of it. Don't get me wrong I love MCS, but using such a hybrid might change the overall feel of the stringbed. I don't want to sacrifice any spin or control, nor add much power. This is because I am transitioning into an advanced, competitive-level player and need all the control I can get; thus the new racquets with the denser string pattern.
On the other hand, the Mantis Comfort Synthetic in the crosses might make the racquet "come alive."
Previously I have been using a Wilson BLX Pro Open (16x19) strung as a hybrid with Cyclone 17/MCS, but I think it's time for that to change in its entirety.

Any thoughts?

Oz_Rocket 03-21-2013 08:50 PM

I've got a full bed of Sonic Pro Edge @ 50lbs in mine at the moment. Impressions so far are:

- It has plenty of power (so much that I'm thinking of going 52-54lbs next time)
- The feel is very muted and a bit softer compared to the factory Sonic Pro. Definitely a very soft and comfortable poly.
- Control is just simply amazing. On every stroke I just feel as though I can get the ball to go exactly where I want it. Groundies, volleys and even lobs seem like they are a foot or so more precise than my old IG Speed 16x19.
- Spin seems to be maybe slightly less or just on par with Sonic Pro which is weird given the Edge is textured. Maybe it has a bit to do with the different gauge (16 v 17). But for an 18x20 it still has plenty of spin potential.
- Tension retention has been good compared to Sonic Pro, but I've only had two x 3 hours sessions hitting with grown ups and maybe 7 hours with the kids and low compression balls. By this time Sonic Pro had started to noticeably stiffen and play harsh but the Edge is yet to do that.

I will probably do a hybrid just for the sake of it as I've got some Synth Gut PPS sitting around but to be honest for me I really can't see what it will get me. So far there hasn't been one thing I've asked of this combo that it hasn't been able to deliver on at a high or very high level.

sberman51 03-22-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz_Rocket (Post 7294387)
I've got a full bed of Sonic Pro Edge @ 50lbs in mine at the moment. Impressions so far are:

- It has plenty of power (so much that I'm thinking of going 52-54lbs next time)
- The feel is very muted and a bit softer compared to the factory Sonic Pro. Definitely a very soft and comfortable poly.
- Control is just simply amazing. On every stroke I just feel as though I can get the ball to go exactly where I want it. Groundies, volleys and even lobs seem like they are a foot or so more precise than my old IG Speed 16x19.
- Spin seems to be maybe slightly less or just on par with Sonic Pro which is weird given the Edge is textured. Maybe it has a bit to do with the different gauge (16 v 17). But for an 18x20 it still has plenty of spin potential.
- Tension retention has been good compared to Sonic Pro, but I've only had two x 3 hours sessions hitting with grown ups and maybe 7 hours with the kids and low compression balls. By this time Sonic Pro had started to noticeably stiffen and play harsh but the Edge is yet to do that.

I will probably do a hybrid just for the sake of it as I've got some Synth Gut PPS sitting around but to be honest for me I really can't see what it will get me. So far there hasn't been one thing I've asked of this combo that it hasn't been able to deliver on at a high or very high level.

So you like the Sonic Pro Edge as a full-bed in the Graphene Speed Pro? Do you think that putting a multifilament in the crosses, such as Mantis Comfort Synthetic, would sacrifice any of its attributes? Or instead would it add some positive qualities?
Additionally, the reel of Sonic Pro Edge would last twice as long if I used it in a hybrid.

What does everyone else think about the two options?

mrmo1115 03-22-2013 07:23 AM

I go hybrid in mine.

sberman51 03-22-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7294987)
I go hybrid in mine.

What's your setup?

Oz_Rocket 03-22-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sberman51 (Post 7294979)
Do you think that putting a multifilament in the crosses, such as Mantis Comfort Synthetic, would sacrifice any of its attributes?

Since coming back to tennis last year from over a decade away I haven't had the chance to play with any multis aside from some PPA in my IG Speed MP 16/19 (which I didn't really like). So I'll leave it to others to comment.

But I am very happy with the full bed of Edge and aside from the extra cost (which doesn't bother me) so far it ticks all the boxes.

I should probably add that while I was a state ranked junior back in my teens, age has caught up with me in my 40s. So while I want something relatively soft after having a bad experience with a few stiff frame/poly combinations, my technique and playing style seems to still be good enough to benefit from a full bed of poly.

Anton 03-22-2013 11:28 AM

I haven't tested many strings at this point but I'm really loving my loosened up Solinco Tour Bite 17 stringbed, not exactly same as Sonic Edge but also a shaped poly. Nasty spin, control, touch, comfort - it's got it all.

If you want to hybrid I'd recommend putting the multi in the mains, not cross.

parasailing 03-23-2013 06:26 PM

I have Prince natural gut and Ltec 4s in my setup and loving how it feels.

sberman51 03-23-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 7295547)
I haven't tested many strings at this point but I'm really loving my loosened up Solinco Tour Bite 17 stringbed, not exactly same as Sonic Edge but also a shaped poly. Nasty spin, control, touch, comfort - it's got it all.

If you want to hybrid I'd recommend putting the multi in the mains, not cross.

Why do you suggest the multi in the mains instead of the crosses? I have always put the poly in the mains because it makes the stringed feel more overall like the mains, right?

Anton 03-23-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sberman51 (Post 7298507)
Why do you suggest the multi in the mains instead of the crosses? I have always put the poly in the mains because it makes the stringed feel more overall like the mains, right?

Poly lets the main slide across it very easy, multi does not. So if you want all the spin on full poly setup with softer response put main multi (or ngut), cross poly.

sberman51 03-24-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 7298710)
Poly lets the main slide across it very easy, multi does not. So if you want all the spin on full poly setup with softer response put main multi (or ngut), cross poly.

Even if the poly is textured/ has sides?

sberman51 03-24-2013 01:44 PM

Does anyone have any tension recommendations for a full-bed of Sonic Pro Edge on a HEAD Graphene Speed Pro? I am a baseliner who uses lots of spin and would prefer control over power, although the frame is very control-oriented itself.
Racquet range is 48-57 lbs, string pattern 18x20.

Anton 03-24-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sberman51 (Post 7299462)
Even if the poly is textured/ has sides?

Yea, along length it's still slick