Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Atp 250 - Portugal Open 2013 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458439)

THESEXPISTOL 03-22-2013 01:13 AM

ATP 250 - Portugal Open 2013

The organization changed the name of the event from ESTORIL OPEN to PORTUGAL OPEN.

Here's the teaser for this year's edition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMvJZIVuzCI

gavna 03-22-2013 03:44 AM

And I bet the reason is outside of Europe (and a few other places where they teach geography) no one knew whe the hell Estoril is! I bet 99.9% of Americans ,don't even know where Portugal is and couldn't find it on the map.

Vamos Rafa 03-22-2013 08:06 AM

Anyone good playing Estoril this year?

jaggy 03-22-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7294691)
And I bet the reason is outside of Europe (and a few other places where they teach geography) no one knew whe the hell Estoril is! I bet 99.9% of Americans ,don't even know where Portugal is and couldn't find it on the map.

Many Americans couldnt find America on a map.

bluetrain4 03-22-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Portugal is like suburban Spain. Kidding.

But, it is Spain's neighbor on the Iberian Peninsula. Generally west of Spain, but also south of a portion of Spain, since it's coast doesn't run the entire length of the peninsula.

I was a total geography nerd as a kid. I would sit and listen to headphones and look at my parents' world atlas. And, I would look at metro area and state maps in the gigantic road atlas that people used to take on trips. Gave me a general sense of where everything is in relation to other things. I'm betting kids aren't doing that much these days.

3fees 03-22-2013 09:02 AM

Estoril is near Lisbon(~15K), smaller coastal community, probably a fishing community.

augustobt 03-22-2013 09:34 AM

Estoril is such a nice place to go. But don't go there if you're on a diet...

batz 03-22-2013 09:41 AM

Estoril has a famous motor racing track - it's also one of the best colours ever produced for a car (BMW Estoril Blue)

THESEXPISTOL 03-23-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 7295323)
Estoril has a famous motor racing track - it's also one of the best colours ever produced for a car (BMW Estoril Blue)

Here we go! ;-)

Quote:

There's a funny story about that. A portuguese clothing brand paid Jonathan Togo and Eva La Rue from CSI MIAMI cast to visit Portugal and make a few appearances on public events in order to represent the brand.
When a few reporters asked Togo what he liked the most about Portugal he said that he loved Paella (Spanish food) and couldn't wait to party in Ibiza (Spanish island). And he was actually quite surprised and even doubted when they told him the footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is portuguese.
The brand was very embarrassed.

wintintu 03-23-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 7295173)

But, it is Spain's neighbor on the Iberian Peninsula. Generally west of Spain, but also south of a portion of Spain, since it's coast doesn't run the entire length of the peninsula.

I was a total geography nerd as a kid. I would sit and listen to headphones and look at my parents' world atlas. And, I would look at metro area and state maps in the gigantic road atlas that people used to take on trips. Gave me a general sense of where everything is in relation to other things. I'm betting kids aren't doing that much these days.

I had a fascination with geography as a youngster too - still do really! World capitals etc! Maybe we should start a geography thread! But yeah not a bad idea to change the name from Estoril Open to Portugal Open

merwy 03-23-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

I'm Dutch and I've never heard of Estoril, no idea that it was in Portugal. But are you serious about not being able to find Portugal on a map? You should be able to.. it's right next to spain. If you can locate Spain on a map, you can locate Portugal as well.

gavna 03-23-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merwy (Post 7297009)
I'm Dutch and I've never heard of Estoril, no idea that it was in Portugal. But are you serious about not being able to find Portugal on a map? You should be able to.. it's right next to spain. If you can locate Spain on a map, you can locate Portugal as well.

My friend..........they had some fun a few years ago testing Americans on geography.........something like 33% of those asked to point out FLORIDA on a map picked the location of CAPE COD, Mass --------- quite a few thousand miles to the north.

Show the avg Yank a map of Europe and they might, maybe just might get 3 or 4 of the countries. And I'm talking about college educated ones!

Portugal the "red headed step child" for sure overshadowed by Spain.........I'm French and knew where Estoril was when I was a kid......we learned about he whole Iberian region before I was 10!

wintintu 03-23-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7298128)
My friend..........they had some fun a few years ago testing Americans on geography.........something like 33% of those asked to point out FLORIDA on a map picked the location of CAPE COD, Mass --------- quite a few thousand miles to the north.

Show the avg Yank a map of Europe and they might, maybe just might get 3 or 4 of the countries. And I'm talking about college educated ones!

Portugal the "red headed step child" for sure overshadowed by Spain.........I'm French and knew where Estoril was when I was a kid......we learned about he whole Iberian region before I was 10!

this amazes me

ruerooo 03-23-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustobt (Post 7295302)
Estoril is such a nice place to go. But don't go there if you're on a diet...

Is the food in the town / province really that magnificent? Every time I hear about the tournament I start dreaming about vinho verde.

THESEXPISTOL 03-24-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 7298459)
Is the food in the town / province really that magnificent? Every time I hear about the tournament I start dreaming about vinho verde.

I'm a little biased because i'm portuguese. But the food there is magnificent. You got great meat dishes like in any region of Portugal and in that particular region you've got the best seafood dishes in the world. You would be amazed.
Vinho Verde is very nice, almost every kind of that wine comes from vineyards in my region. We are very proud in our heritage as winemakers.

egn 03-24-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Want to arrange a bet that's 10% of your yearly salary for the rest of your life that I can prove this horrible assumption wrong with ease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7298128)

You expect me to believe an American in college can't point out Florida on a map and would point to Massachusetts. Sorry, what did he ask like 5 American tourists who were drunk out of their mind and dropped out of high school? As I know zero people who went to college who can not distinguish between Massachusetts and Florida.

Please tell us about yourself, explain what makes you so qualified to make ridiculous assumptions about a whole nation? Congrats on learning about the geography of Spain, Portugal and Andorra by age 10! Hold on let me get you a gold star to tape your message board posts on your fridge.

MindoverMatter 03-24-2013 10:05 AM

As an American, I understand how enjoyable it is to poke fun at us - we like to do it to ourselves a lot of the time - but please don't take anything of these things seriously lol. I'm sure we can all point out Florida on a map. As well as Portugal.

But now that we're on the topic, can you point out Indiana on a map? As far as I know its about the same size as Portugal, and since apparently you know so much about the geography of other countries surely you must know where Indiana is? I do. In fact, I think I knew the entire United States when I was ten.

THESEXPISTOL 04-28-2013 09:16 AM

Andreev lost to Machado in the qualifying yesterday.

Onehandedbackhand 04-28-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7373583)
Andreev lost to Machado in the qualifying yesterday.

Machado made it off the trading floor and back on a court, huh?

thejackal 04-28-2013 10:31 AM

I first knew of estoril because of the F1 track. not the most exciting circuit though.

a girl I know is there right now I think. I ll have to ask her about the food. she's the defending champs in the wta doubles draw so I guess last yr it was good enough for her