Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I'm in Miami, girl - WTA Miami Masters Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458440)

Duncan Bell 03-22-2013 03:12 AM

I'm in Miami, girl - WTA Miami Masters Discussion

Bit late to the party with this one, but no discussion thread yet.

Some interesting R64 matchups to kick us off: Vika vs Keys, Sloane vs Venus, Urszula vs Ivanović.

Renka vs Sugar potential SF looks tasty, Maria in fine form at the moment. Really hope Victoria's ankle can hold up, could have some great matches this week.

Great to see Na Li back, and really hopeful that Kvitova can regain some of her Feb form.

SassyRamirez 03-22-2013 05:09 AM

Hopefully Azarenka retires against Keys. :twisted:

SassyRamirez 03-22-2013 07:52 AM

Azarenka's withdrawn! Madison plays LL Lauren Davis! :):):)

bluetrain4 03-22-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassyRamirez (Post 7294925)
Azarenka's withdrawn! Madison plays LL Lauren Davis! :):):)

Are you joking?

If it's true, Miami is a mini-disaster this year.

Doublebounce 03-22-2013 08:36 AM

This is a great opportunity for a young American to go deep in the draw. McHale, Keys, Hampton, or Davis could end up in the quarters, and if not, young Brit Robson or the Frenchie on a resurgence, Cornet.

forzamilan90 03-22-2013 08:49 AM

Going with new favorite Kerber

SassyRamirez 03-22-2013 09:04 AM

Meh, look like Keys is going to flop to Davis anyways; must not be playing the way she played against Stosur last week which was actually a solid performance.

As for who's going to win the tournament, that'd be Serena of course!

Tcbtennis 03-22-2013 10:03 AM

I arrived at the Sony Open this morning to watch Azarenka v Keys live but of course find out that Aza pulled out and is replaced by Lauren Davis. Booooooo!! So I walk to the grandstand to watch Kuznetsova v Makarova. Sveta was down 0-3 when I arrived but I saw AMAZING tennis from both players. Sveta won the first set 6-4 and was up 2-0 in the second set when her mind went to the places that she tends to go where she can't keep a ball on the court or her serve over the net. She got it together and won the second set 6-4. When Sveta is playing well it is easy to see why she won 2 slams. She is athletic, powerful and has every shot in the book. It was great to watch live.

SassyRamirez 03-22-2013 10:10 AM

^

Yeah Sveta is a joy to watch when she's playing well, hopefully she'll be seeded by RG.

Tcbtennis 03-22-2013 10:25 AM

Just watched some of Wozniacki on the practice courts. Oh my Goodness! Dad even micromanages practice. While most other players hit with their hitting partner and the coach says something from time to time, he is gabbing at her constantly. She needs to ditch Dad now. But I know it isn't going to happen.

jones101 03-22-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 7295282)
Just watched some of Wozniacki on the practice courts. Oh my Goodness! Dad even micromanages practice. While most other players hit with their hitting partner and the coach says something from time to time, he is gabbing at her constantly. She needs to ditch Dad now. But I know it isn't going to happen.

Sadly I dont think it will happen. He WANTS to be the one to get her to the top again more than he wants her to get to the top, if that makes sense.

Daddy wont let her get better with other people.

Tanya 03-22-2013 11:21 AM

Bad day for the American girls.

McHale blew a 1-set lead to Vinci, as did Hampton against Suarez Navarro.

The most disappointing was Madison Keys. Having Azarenka withdraw gave her a huge opportunity to make an impact at this tournament and she played like a scrub against a (imo) lesser American, Lauren Davis. Get it together girl! That should've been a routine straight setter if you ask me.

Speaking of Azarenka withdrawing, all I can say is thank god. It's bad enough her ******bag boyfriend finally released the song with her grunting in it, at least now we don't have to hear it on the court.

Tcbtennis 03-22-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanya (Post 7295404)
Bad day for the American girls.

McHale blew a 1-set lead to Vinci, as did Hampton against Suarez Navarro.

The most disappointing was Madison Keys. Having Azarenka withdraw gave her a huge opportunity to make an impact at this tournament and she played like a scrub against a (imo) lesser American, Lauren Davis. Get it together girl! That should've been a routine straight setter if you ask me.

Speaking of Azarenka withdrawing, all I can say is thank god. It's bad enough her ******bag boyfriend finally released the song with her grunting in it, at least now we don't have to hear it on the court.

Madison will be having nightmares for a while. She had 3 match points in the third set tiebreak serving at 6-3. She hit a great shot that Lauren managed to get back as a high and short sitter. That should have been the match but Madison hit that ball straight into the net. She will be thinking about that shot for a long time. Lauren is 5'2" has tree trunks for thighs and gets every ball back. Madison had something like 38-40W/70+UE. Lauren ended up with 10W/30+UE

volleyandfun 03-22-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doublebounce (Post 7295018)
This is a great opportunity for a young American to go deep in the draw. McHale, Keys, Hampton, or Davis could end up in the quarters, and if not, young Brit Robson or the Frenchie on a resurgence, Cornet.

whoops, 3 of them are out today, black Friday

volleyandfun 03-22-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzamilan90 (Post 7295042)
Going with new favorite Kerber

so far she gets all she can handle
I hope she'll handle Jamie Farr

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-E...mie-farr-2.jpg

Tanya 03-22-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleyandfun (Post 7295501)
so far she gets all she can handle
I hope she'll handle Jamie Farr

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-E...mie-farr-2.jpg

[img] link [/img] <- without the spaces.

boredone3456 03-22-2013 05:52 PM

So what are Venus's chances against Sloane tomorrow?
While I would like to see Venus win she played pretty horrible against Date. Her serve was a mess, she blew a 5-2 lead in the first and needed 7 match points to win.

I know Date is a fighter..but it was clear Venus was all sorts of struggling and Sloane isn't exactly the type to roll over and play dead...

I like Venus bit unless she serves about 10x better than yesterday Sloane may straight set her.

boredone3456 03-22-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 7295437)
Madison will be having nightmares for a while. She had 3 match points in the third set tiebreak serving at 6-3. She hit a great shot that Lauren managed to get back as a high and short sitter. That should have been the match but Madison hit that ball straight into the net. She will be thinking about that shot for a long time. Lauren is 5'2" has tree trunks for thighs and gets every ball back. Madison had something like 38-40W/70+UE. Lauren ended up with 10W/30+UE

Madison is a big hitter who goes for angles and deep shots vs Davis who an aggressive defensive counter puncher (least that what she looks like to me in what Little footage I have seen). Madison looks amazing when she is clicking but her game is so high risk that if its not working its a mess. Its like she following the Williams model of big hitting big winners...which is not a bad thing really..just not great as her ball control is at times well...erratic and it showed against Davis.

Tcbtennis 03-22-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredone3456 (Post 7296123)
So what are Venus's chances against Sloane tomorrow?
While I would like to see Venus win she played pretty horrible against Date. Her serve was a mess, she blew a 5-2 lead in the first and needed 7 match points to win.

I know Date is a fighter..but it was clear Venus was all sorts of struggling and Sloane isn't exactly the type to roll over and play dead...

I like Venus bit unless she serves about 10x better than yesterday Sloane may straight set her.

I was at that match and I agree with you. It all started and ended with Venus' non-existent first serve. If she serves that way against Sloane Stephens, Venus will go home early. Venus' first serves didn't go any higher than 113mph and her second serves were like 68mph. I'm predicting a Sloane victory.

jm1980 03-22-2013 06:12 PM

The Woz will win this.