Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Where do you hunt for classic racquets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458441)

vintagefan 03-22-2013 04:10 AM

Where do you hunt for classic racquets?

I hunt for them on the bay. How about you?

Tonyr1967 03-22-2013 05:01 AM

bay or Stringform. Look in the classifieds section here too.

vwfye 03-22-2013 08:55 AM

They find me...

jonestim 03-22-2013 10:40 AM

I have spent a lot of time at thrift stores looking. I have found some that I have really enjoyed playing with and keep in my bag, some that I have resold, and a bunch that are now just taking up space in my closet.

These days I have less time and have really curtailed my search for classics. If I really want one I pick it up on the Bay.

elamarrj 03-22-2013 08:11 PM

thrift stores :)

pshulam 03-22-2013 08:22 PM

thrift stores, bay, TT classified, Craiglist, Play it Again Sports stores.

slowfox 03-24-2013 03:23 PM

Read the Classic Racquets archives.
Jump on the big internet auction site.
Drain my wallet.

Thrift stores tend to be hit or miss (usually miss for me). Craigslist has been okay though.

SFrazeur 03-24-2013 03:44 PM

Thrift stores: Savers and Goodwill.

-SF

max 03-25-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 7300266)
Thrift stores: Savers and Goodwill.

-SF

Right. I can't help it, but if I'm a city with one of these and I have a spare 30 minutes on a weekend, I like to pop in. I'm usually unlucky, so it's a lot like fishing.

Ebaaayy's too expensive, what with the shipping cost and all. This said, I've sold a number of oldies, cleared out the basement, with it.

Sanglier 03-25-2013 12:10 PM

Goodwill is what got me accidentally hooked on this stuff, but nearly all of my decent finds have come from fleabay as of late, including the European versions.

The fun part of thrifting is its complete unpredictability, which also happens to be its main drawback. The whims and generosity of the donors are already impossible to forecast as they are. On top of that, the store staff replenish the shelves and bins multiple times during the day, with no set pattern or logic, and there are many people out there fishing for these things, whose schedules are also beyond your control. With nary an exception, every single racquet that I had picked up from GW or SA over the past year and a half had been tagged on the very same day that I found it on the shelf, so I know for certain that anything remotely worth having is unlikely to sit there for more than a day; at least that's the case in my neck of the woods. This means that the only way to ensure that no rare gems would slip through my fingers would be to hit every store within my reach from morning to evening every day, seven days a week. This type of realization can easily produce the sort of paranoia and addictive urge that only medical intervention can control.

Yes, it costs a little more to fish on fleabay, but you save on time and buy more peace of mind with those few extra bucks, plus you have an infinitely larger body of water to locate your trophy in. Unless you happen to be immortal or are fortunate enough to have your own supply network, fleabay is probably your most realistic option if you are after something uncommon, which you wish to acquire before sanity and indifference catch up with you.

slowfox 03-25-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7300216)
Thrift stores tend to be hit or miss (usually miss for me).

Thrift store score today. Pro Staff St Vincent... oh baby!! :)

v-verb 03-25-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7302458)

Holy Grail find - congrats - damn I'm jealous!!!

max 03-26-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7302458)

Yes, you actually have it! What's the condition?

I recently bought a $2 Pro Kennex Bronze Ace. It just felt nice in the hand; I have no idea if it's a real racquet.

slowfox 03-26-2013 04:16 PM

The PS is in good shape. Had an old overgrip which left a residue when I removed it, but I cleaned it up. The leather grip is okay too. Probably original Fairway.

The Bronze Ace is supposed to be a great stick. Has that plastic bridge, right?

max 03-27-2013 08:02 PM

Yeah it does have the plastic bridge. I haven't yet been able to hit with it; it's cold here and there are no indoor clubs around. It has the right weight and balance, and a nice box beam. I just feels like the right kind of thing to be playing tennis with, and not a joke frame. But it is weird (and outdated) to be seeing the screwed in plastic bridge to the thing. I don't think this was how the Copper Ace, etc. were made.

slowfox 03-28-2013 10:13 AM

Been wanting to get my hands on an old Copper Ace. Some have said it's their favorite from the classic PK Ace series.

Tamiya 03-28-2013 10:17 PM

just strung up a CopperAce, feels weirdly floppy & twangy... :(