Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Gauthier G.07 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458464)

jazar 03-22-2013 10:00 AM

Gauthier G.07

Anyone have any info on the Gauthier G.07. Red frame, with a very small throat. Maybe a wood/fibreglass composite?

Captain Haddock 03-23-2013 11:54 AM

Small French company from the 1970s and 1980s. They made beautiful wood racquets, including a few open-throated mid sizes, then a few graphite models. They probably folded before 1985 or so. I recall a few standard size graphite models with red stripes. Lafourcade was another French company from the same era. Gautier was endorsed by French Davis Cup player Francois Jauffret.

ericsson 03-24-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazar (Post 7295211)
Anyone have any info on the Gauthier G.07. Red frame, with a very small throat. Maybe a wood/fibreglass composite?

great frame, last summer i tested that one but the strings were awful, nonetheless i could feel it was a beautiful made racket. I think it has a split in the handle of the frame like the Donnay flex pro .

jazar 03-24-2013 06:16 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful. Looking at acquiring one in the next week. If I do, I'll make sure to post some pictures.

gavna 03-24-2013 06:45 AM

J Gauthier et Fils........goes back to the 1950s making sticks in France at least. Had a cool logo with the tricolor French Rooster and in the "white" section a stylized tennis racquet was in its place.

Then in the 70s had a new logo with an agressive G with an Arrow coming from it and again a small French Tri-Color flag in the G.

As a typical French company put out lots of what could be called exotic frames, putout some models like the Colombe, Overcome Pro Graphite and had auto frames for Henri Cochet and Yvon Petra.

Stayed around till the early 90s - had granite sticks that show up today on various auction sites (mainly in France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland......).

Always saw them in the larger French sports stores like Intersport, Sport 2000, Decathalon....etc)

jazar 03-26-2013 12:58 AM

Bought one last night from the big auction site. Only paid 3, so quite the bargain. I look forward to receiving it, stringing it and hitting the courts with it.

jimbo333 03-26-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazar (Post 7303699)
Bought one last night from the big auction site. Only paid 3, so quite the bargain. I look forward to receiving it, stringing it and hitting the courts with it.

Good to see you won it mate. I was watching that one, but when I saw your post here that you wanted it, I didn't bid. It would be good to see your review, and some photos here:)

jazar 03-26-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo333 (Post 7303887)
Good to see you won it mate. I was watching that one, but when I saw your post here that you wanted it, I didn't bid. It would be good to see your review, and some photos here:)

Thanks for the courtesy. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow or the day after.

jazar 03-29-2013 03:05 AM

Racket has arrived. I've posted a few pictures to my blog: jamiesprostringing.tumblr.com

ericsson 03-29-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazar (Post 7311654)
Racket has arrived. I've posted a few pictures to my blog: jamiesprostringing.tumblr.com

Nice racket Jazar, do you know what the grip size is? it looks huge :-)

ps: dont you have these squash inserts on your Babolat stringing machine? i use these to string older woods...

jazar 03-29-2013 05:42 AM

The grip size feels about the same as on my Wilson T3000, which is a size seven! The racket doesn't appear to have a butt cap, so it's the same all the way up, with no flaring at the very end.

I don't have the longer billiards. Never had any problems fitting squash rackets on the machine and I've been able to fit a couple of wooden rackets on there. The Gauthier has the same headsize as the woodens ones I've managed to fit on there, but there seems to be a little less give and stretch in it.