Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   wilson steel T racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458511)

big ted 03-22-2013 08:23 PM

wilson steel T racquets
 
can somebody explain the differences in the models?
from what i know -
t2000 - small circle head
t3000 - small circle head w crossbar
t4000 - small circle head w crossbar and dampener on handle?
t5000 - was it made?
tx6000 - what does x stand for? head looks more oval, is it larger? string spacing denser in middle... also the steel tubing has different shape. looks thicker and stiffer?

mostly wondering about tx6000, if this is a standard size head? looks larger..

personallly i think the 3000 was best one tho havent tried 4000. 2000 was good too. thought 6000 was maybe lacked feel and stiffer?

gavna 03-22-2013 10:00 PM

The T5000 had the steel crossbar as you call it in Black...had the normal round T series head and the Lacoste designed dampener at the end of the handle.......when new had a plastic dome over it but hat always fell off..

Tx6000 was oval and a slightly larger head size.......very very few were sold - buy early 82 no one wanted to play with a steel stick rocket launcher.

big ted 03-23-2013 04:59 AM

ok thanks yea I think the string pattern was more dense starting with the 5000 also

coachrick 03-23-2013 05:59 AM

The TX series was a mutation of the original. Clubby, thick(an early widebody!!! ;) ), odd string pattern...too little, too late to be a player in the metal game. It did have a more solid handle system, however.

Without assistance, my brain doesn't recall a difference in string density with the 5000...I could be wrong, but it would be the first time today!(It's early :) ).

GS 03-23-2013 07:03 AM

My T-2000 has a string pattern of 18X18.
Looking at pictures of T-5000s, I count the same string pattern.

gavna 03-23-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 7297055)
My T-2000 has a string pattern of 18X18.
Looking at pictures of T-5000s, I count the same string pattern.

It was the same 18x18 BUT the pattern was a little more dense, Lacoste tweaked the spacing of the loops to change the pattern just a tad.......Wilson of course just rebranded it.

jimbo333 03-23-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big ted (Post 7296517)
can somebody explain the differences in the models?
from what i know -
t2000 - small circle head
t3000 - small circle head w crossbar
t4000 - small circle head w crossbar and dampener on handle?
t5000 - was it made?
tx6000 - what does x stand for? head looks more oval, is it larger? string spacing denser in middle... also the steel tubing has different shape. looks thicker and stiffer?

mostly wondering about tx6000, if this is a standard size head? looks larger..

personallly i think the 3000 was best one tho havent tried 4000. 2000 was good too. thought 6000 was maybe lacked feel and stiffer?

My sort of thread:)

And don't forget the:-
TX3000
Jimmy Connors C-1
III

The Wilson III is probably the rarest of the Wilson metal T-Series:-





I think like the "C-1 Jimmy Connors" it's an updated version of the T3000?

Oh, and the T4000 was the one with the dampner in the end covered by the black dome, and the T5000 just had the dampner!

gavna 03-23-2013 08:15 AM

Yea because the damn plastic dome would.......break, fall off, crack then fall off.....etc etc etc:)

jimbo333 03-23-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7297171)
Yea because the damn plastic dome would.......break, fall off, crack then fall off.....etc etc etc:)

I'm sure only the T4000 had the dome covering the dampner, the T5000 just had the dampner as far as I'm aware.




Autodidactic player 03-23-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo333 (Post 7297138)
My sort of thread:)

... The Wilson III is probably the rarest of the Wilson metal T-Series ...

Your T-5000 with the dampener still attached may be even rarer! I see lots of T-5000s for sale but very, very few still have the dampener attached.

joe sch 03-23-2013 05:04 PM

This picture should help:

<img> http://woodtennis.com/connors/t2_5000.jpg </img>

jimbo333 03-24-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7297360)
Your T-5000 with the dampener still attached may be even rarer! I see lots of T-5000s for sale but very, very few still have the dampener attached.

Yes, i know what you mean, these are really hard to find with the dampners still attached!

jimbo333 03-24-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe sch (Post 7298315)
This picture should help:

<img> http://woodtennis.com/connors/t2_5000.jpg </img>

I can't see this photo, but i know which one it is!

In fact it was this photo that got me properly into collecting these rackets about 5 years ago, thanks Joe:)

joe sch 03-24-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo333 (Post 7299005)
I can't see this photo, but i know which one it is!

In fact it was this photo that got me properly into collecting these rackets about 5 years ago, thanks Joe:)

Not sure why the img tags are not being rendered ? I have seen it work different depending on the browser, which is one reason I dont usually attempt to add html tags but rather just post the url link. Here is the simple link which you should be able to click on:

http://woodtennis.com/connors/t2_5000.jpg

Autodidactic player 03-24-2013 09:55 AM

This one is a world of fun to play with! :)


gavna 03-24-2013 11:31 AM

Yikes!!!!! cheater!!!!!!:):)

joe sch 03-24-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7299539)
This one is a world of fun to play with! :)


That one looks like even more fun than this one:

http://www.woodtennis.com/strings/t2000pasta.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse