Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Andy Murray to support Scottish independence... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458540)

Dutch-Guy 03-23-2013 09:03 AM

Andy Murray to support Scottish independence...

...as a true and proud Scots:). Independence referendum date set on 9/28/2014. http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/s...h-independence

Braveheart.

Homeboy Hotel 03-23-2013 09:07 AM

He's not said whether or not he is or isn't supporting Scottish independence.

He is awaiting his agents at XIX Entertainment to do the cost-benefit analysis on whether it is better to say he is for or against it first before he officially states his opinion. (or shall I say, the opinion given to him by his agents)

IgnatusP 03-23-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy Hotel (Post 7297251)

He is awaiting his agents at XIX Entertainment to do the cost-benefit analysis on whether it is better to say he is for or against it first before he officially states his opinion. (or shall I say, the opinion given to him by his agents)

That's insulting. I think Murray is old enough to not have to listen to any agents and just do what his Mum tells him.

Dutch-Guy 03-23-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy Hotel (Post 7297251)

The 2 most famous Scots Sean Connery and Sir Alex Ferguson are for it so i do you him being down too.

IgnatusP 03-23-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch-Guy (Post 7297257)
The 2 most famous Scots Sean Connery and Sir Alex Ferguson are for it so i do you him being down too.

Let's be honest, everybody knows that nobody has as much weight on this (or any other issue regarding Scotland) as Fat B@stard does.

Phoenix1983 03-23-2013 10:07 AM

Murray will tank at Wimbledon this year and next.

Then when Scotland is independent, he will storm to the title in 2015, draped in the Saltire. :twisted:

ark_28 03-23-2013 10:20 AM

Jokes aside Say if Scotland did get independence would Britains wait for a major winner be back to over 70 years or what would the deal be with that?

*Sparkle* 03-23-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

I don't know where you got that from. Alex Ferguson has donated to the pro-Union campaign and has been publicly critical of Alex Salmond.

I think Murray will keep his mouth shut as best he can. He'll know he'll never be able to give a right answer, but perhaps more importantly, he probably won't want to be used and abused. It's a sad state of affairs that the campaigners place so much value on getting various celebs to publicly endorse their point of view, rather than actually debating the pros and cons.

batz 03-23-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Sir Alex Ferguson is most definitely not 'for it'. I doubt that Murray will express a view.

What is certain is that none of the 3 of them will be voting in the referendum.

Phoenix1983 03-23-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7297421)
Jokes aside Say if Scotland did get independence would Britains wait for a major winner be back to over 70 years or what would the deal be with that?

He won the US Open 2012 as a British citizen, so it would still count as a British win. Much as everything Lendl did when Czech still counts for Czechoslovakia, and what he did after changing nationality counts for the USA.

kishnabe 03-23-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1983 (Post 7297636)
He won the US Open 2012 as a British citizen, so it would still count as a British win. Much as everything Lendl did when Czech still counts for Czechoslovakia, and what he did after changing nationality counts for the USA.

Lendl did not win any slams for America.

Phoenix1983 03-23-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7297725)
Lendl did not win any slams for America.

Did I mention slams? I said whatever he did after changing nationality.

If he had won a slam after becoming a US citizen, it would have counted as a slam win for the USA.

Mainad 03-23-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Nope. Murray was a British citizen when he won his Major so that record will forever stand as a win for a Briton.

If Scotland does become independent (which I doubt), then Murray will have to make a decision on whether he wants to stay British or become a Scottish citizen. If he chooses Scotland, then everything he does from that point on will be as a purely Scottish player rather than a British one.

IgnatusP 03-23-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7297866)
Nope. Murray was a British citizen when he won his Major so that record will forever stand as a win for a Briton.

If Scotland does become independent (which I doubt), then Murray will have to make a decision on whether he wants to stay British or become a Scottish citizen. If he chooses Scotland, then everything he does from that point on will be as a purely Scottish player rather than a British one.

I hope if he does he doesn't start playing with a kilt. Things could get ugly fast... :)

Mainad 03-23-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnatusP (Post 7297873)
I hope if he does he doesn't start playing with a kilt. Things could get ugly fast... :)

I think he might be in danger of getting disqualified for gross indecency if he started to run around the court in a kilt, especially if it's a windy day! :)

ark_28 03-23-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7297866)

Thanks it was a genuine question not aimed to cause a nuisance :-)

Antonio Puente 03-23-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

In reality, it would only matter in terms of the gold medal. Professional tennis players play for themselves, not their countries.

Mainad 03-23-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7297912)
Thanks it was a genuine question not aimed to cause a nuisance :-)

No probs. It was a perfectly reasonable question!

IgnatusP 03-23-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7297883)
I think he might be in danger of getting disqualified for gross indecency if he started to run around the court in a kilt, especially if it's a windy day! :)

No kidding! :)

I can picture a Benny Hill episode with girls in a tennis court running around in miniskirts in a breezy summer day, picking balls, etc. There are 3 judges (dirty old British men, one of them that bald old fella that Benny Hill always used to slap on the head). After each girl does something (pick a ball, etc), the judges look at each other and elbow each other, then produce scores like they have in the olympics for gymnastics.

Then the girls go away and Benny Hill comes out as the Scottish field keeper. He's dressed with a kilt. The judges watch apprehensively as a big gust of wind blows Benny's kilt. One of the judges pulls out a bucket from under the table and pukes, the old fella pulls out a cane and he starts walking as if he just went blind, and the last fellow, who is kind of weird looking smiles at Benny and winks, then produces a scorecard with a 10. :)

CCNM 03-23-2013 03:33 PM

If Andy's smart he'll keep quiet about it.