Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   A bit dead around here without Fed and Rafa in Miami. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458584)

Fastpace Ace 03-23-2013 06:08 PM

A bit dead around here without Fed and Rafa in Miami.

Such a pity. No?

Mike Sams 03-23-2013 06:15 PM

That tells us everything we need to know about the sport. Most people are fans of players, not of the sport.
Not that there's anything wrong with it. Most people were fans of Tyson, not of boxing.

romeo8880 03-23-2013 06:38 PM

I think all the retirements and walkovers may have something to do with it.

Mike Sams 03-23-2013 06:41 PM

Djokovic's got this! 14th Masters title coming up...

Fastpace Ace 03-23-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7298488)
That tells us everything we need to know about the sport. Most people are fans of players, not of the sport.
Not that there's anything wrong with it. Most people were fans of Tyson, not of boxing.

True that my man!

forzamilan90 03-23-2013 08:21 PM

No it's just some of us are a but busy pulling off pranks tonight instead of watching

schenkelini 03-23-2013 08:22 PM

Yeah I am glad I had tickets for IW and not Miami.

sportsfan1 03-23-2013 08:30 PM

Saw some of the Isner match today on ESPN3, but in general watching replays/highlights of previous Fed and Rafa matches (not necessarily versus each other). Fedal withdrew and now JMDP out as well, don't know who's going to draw the crowds. I would probably watch Haas, Almagro matches.

TennisandMusic 03-23-2013 09:20 PM

I think fans of the game are more occupied going out and playing. Even in the 80s and 90s the guys that were worth watching were few IMO. Tennis is just not that fun to watch unless you have an extreme talent. I mean I love tennis and after a day at Indian Wells I have completely had my fill of watching pro tennis.

I could play 4-5 times a week though.

Mike Sams 03-23-2013 09:54 PM

The sport needs epic matches and epic rivalries. Some of the best rivalries involved Nadal (his wars with Federer, Djokovic, Murray). He plays such a different and dynamic game that people have no choice but to pay attention. He's like Mike Tyson. Like him or hate him, you can't help but to take notice.

tudwell 03-23-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7298488)

I usually love the early rounds of tournaments, but there really haven't been too many interesting match-ups so far. I watched Djokovic-Rosol, but that was a dud. There's lots of great players in the draw, but none of them have played each other yet.

Relinquis 03-23-2013 10:39 PM

wait until the next round... when the higher ranked player face one another...

this round, dimitrov Vs. murray should be interesting.

P.S. If they had given Gulbis a wild card it would have shaken things up quite a bit imo...

Cindysphinx 03-24-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenkelini (Post 7298667)
Yeah I am glad I had tickets for IW and not Miami.

This seems to happen a lot. Most everyone is healthy enough to play UW, but injuries take a big toll on Miami.

I'll take IW, thanks.

rafan 03-24-2013 07:23 AM

Well just by watching any of the professionals or non professionals you can still learn a lot

fps 03-24-2013 07:40 AM

There's nothing really coming up in the new generation to excite. That's the problem. None of the younger guys looks like they have the potential. The only one who does to my eyes is Tomic but he hasn't got the work ethic.

West Coast Ace 03-24-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisandMusic (Post 7298729)
Tennis is just not that fun to watch unless you have an extreme talent. I mean I love tennis and after a day at Indian Wells I have completely had my fill of watching pro tennis.

On a related note, this shows the penalty that the tour faces with their uneven schedule. Having 2 1000's back to back is stupid. Only hard core fans have the endurance to follow it for 4 weeks.

Fiji 03-24-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fps (Post 7299254)
There's nothing really coming up in the new generation to excite. That's the problem. None of the younger guys looks like they have the potential. The only one who does to my eyes is Tomic but he hasn't got the work ethic.

The new generation is awful. Worst tennis generation ever. Maybe the players born in the mid 90s/late 90s will be better.

grolson1993 03-24-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiji (Post 7299760)
The new generation is awful. Worst tennis generation ever. Maybe the players born in the mid 90s/late 90s will be better.

i would have to disagree, there are a lot of good up and comers...not necessarily from US but there are some good players for sure...

Bartelby 03-24-2013 06:22 PM

From the desert to the topics is a harsh shift.

PhotoBlue 03-24-2013 06:35 PM

The atmosphere is anything but dead. There's so many South American fans there. Whenever a south American player is playing, the fans of that country go and watch and cheer very loudly and heckle the other player. You guys should have seen Belucci vs. Janowicz. That was like a Davis cup match in Brazil. And I was in the front row for that... Great match even though 95% of the crowd was for Belucci. It was kind of unfair. But you have to learn to tune it out, which Janowicz didn't do, and so he lost the match.