Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Slightly more power than Head Liquidmetal Radical MP (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458595)

speedtrap 03-23-2013 09:03 PM

Slightly more power than Head Liquidmetal Radical MP

Hi, Good day! just want to have some of your advices and suggestions:)

I've been playing with a pair of used LM Radical MPs with 17G polys for about 4yrs now, and I'm now thinking of getting a new pair of rackets. I'm hoping to get a new racket with:

1. Slightly more power than the LM Radical MP (This is the main factor)
2. Almost the same weight but not over as LM Radical MP
3. 18x20 string pattern is a plus
4. Just a little bit faster or easier to swing than the LM Radical MP (this one is not really important, but maybe a plus)
5. 100cm headsize (this one is not really important, but maybe a plus)

I would like to stick with Head (I'd like the rectangular grip size), I'm thinking of getting:
1. Head Youtek IG Instinct MP (because they are currently on sale :)
2. Head Youtek Graphene Instinct MP
3. Head YOUTEK IG Radical Midplus (I think this is my best choice?)
4. Head YOUTEK IG Radical Pro
5. Head YOUTEK IG Speed 18x20 (because they are currently on sale)
6. Head YOUTEK Graphene Speed MP

I'm a baseliner, hits a forehand as much a possible, full and fast swing, always hits the ball hard - if not yet tired :), most of my shots are topspin-drives (not much of a loop, looks like a flat topspin forehand), fairly consistent forehands (cross-court, down the line, inside-out), would always try to hit the ball hard-flat when the ball falls short, or in the service box. I play at least 3 times a week, 2 to 3 sets.

I still have a difficulty with my backhand (two handed) (specially on a big serves that were targeted on my backhand side), (so I thought that a racket that is easier to swing and has a 100cm head size would help?)
I'm currently trying a one-hand backhand and a slice backhand from time to time. Maybe it is just me but I'm thinking that a 98cm or a lower racket head size is not really ideal for a 2-handed backhand?:). I'm not really good in volleys or netting specially in doubles.

I'm actually leaning towards the Head Youtek IG Instinct MP, but it is the 16x19 string pattern (I'd like the 18x20 better) and the decreased weight that's stopping me, plus the reviews that it is a little unstable. I'm worried that I may not be able to hit the same forehand shots that I'm getting with my LM Radical MP, though I think it would help with my backhand.

Thanks a lot!
Carl

corners 03-23-2013 10:43 PM

Forget power. The only thing you'll find looking for more power from racquets is less control. Seek For power in string; settle for great feel and control in racquets.

[d]ragon 03-23-2013 11:25 PM

Try dropping the tension a few pounds

marosmith 03-23-2013 11:51 PM

Change string and add weight to he handle to deal with bigger serves.

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 12:02 AM

Head MicroGEL Radical MP
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head...AD-HMGRAD.html
...You're welcome!

bertrevert 03-24-2013 03:40 AM

1. Head Youtek IG Instinct MP

I don't think this is the way you should go. When I tried it it had a small sweetspot, lacked power, and you had to swing it harder than a Radical. I think you might find it a step backwards. Thicker beam though.

(I now use BLX Pro Open.)

mcnota 03-24-2013 06:56 AM

add 3-4g of lead at 12 and your backhand will be better

the youtek ig newer head models are terrible imo

goran_ace 03-24-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertrevert (Post 7298946)

I don't think this is the way you should go. When I tried it it had a small sweetspot, lacked power, and you had to swing it harder than a Radical. I think you might find it a step backwards. Thicker beam though.

I felt the same way. It doesn't feel like the previous Instincts. That being said, perhaps the OP should check out the LM Instinct or MG Instinct. Might just be that 'plays like Radical with a little extra' that he's looking for.

speedtrap 03-24-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7298748)
Forget power. The only thing you'll find looking for more power from racquets is less control. Seek For power in string; settle for great feel and control in racquets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [d]ragon (Post 7298785)
Try dropping the tension a few pounds

Quote:

Originally Posted by marosmith (Post 7298809)
Change string and add weight to he handle to deal with bigger serves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnota (Post 7299103)

I currently use a full bed of ISO Speed 17L poly (cheap string:) and the tension is 58lbs. I'll try to drop the tension maybe to 50lbs.

I've already before adding lead tapes at 3 and 9, then tried also at 10 and 2, I noticed that my flat serves was heavier and the racket was more stable, though after the game, I'm already feeling some pain in my arms. I haven't tried adding lead tapes at 12 and in the handle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7298820)
Head MicroGEL Radical MP
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head...AD-HMGRAD.html
...You're welcome!

Hi, thanks! I've already tried this and it feels the same as my LM Radical MP, though I have not tried it in a game. It also felt less power but maybe due to the string used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertrevert (Post 7298946)

Thank you for this, now I can exclude the Youtek IG Instinct MP (the price is actually tempting since they are on sale). I'm just thinking that it may give a little bit more power because of thicker frame and 100cm head size, and it may help me with my backhand.

My first racket is a Prince Turbo Shark OS, and actually my 2handhed backhand before was decent with that racket. I just don't know why it is very hard for me to hit a backhand with my LM Radical MPs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnota (Post 7299103)

the youtek ig newer head models are terrible imo

I see, actually I've already tried before a Youtek racket, Youtek Speed MP 18x20 and I did not like it (or it didn't like me:) ).

I'll try to look around again, actually I really need to replace them since the handles are already getting brittle and there are already cracks seen when I replaced the replacement grips. I just thought that I need a newer racket with slightly more power in it, 100cm head size, and a little bit easier to swing.

Thank you very much guys:):)

tmc5005 03-24-2013 11:46 AM

I would strongly recommend the HEAD Youtek IG Prestige MP

ryydman 03-24-2013 12:28 PM

Head Youtek Instinct MP 18x19 (the golden one).

speedtrap 03-25-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmc5005 (Post 7299670)
I would strongly recommend the HEAD Youtek IG Prestige MP

Hi, thanks! I overlooked this one!!!!!.
I'm checking it now and comparing it to the YOUTEK IG Prestige S, looks like this one is much closer to my LM Radical MP but with a little bit more power, (on my understanding based on the specifications:) so no need to add lead tapes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryydman (Post 7299767)
Head Youtek Instinct MP 18x19 (the golden one).

Thanks, one of my friends has this but I don't know, maybe the color has no appeal to me:) (how stupid I am:) ). hehe one other reason why I would also like to a different racket aside from the Radicals is the color, I think I want a new color or a different design :) .

fuzz nation 03-25-2013 05:55 AM

Also recommend a look at the Prestige line. If you want some more juice from your gear and prefer the Head grip shape in your hand, you ought to think about a heavier alternative to your LM Radical that also has some flex.

I had a pair of LM Radicals a while back and found that they had a sort of governor in terms of the high end of their power... for me. No matter how I strung them up, I could only put so much of a thumping on the ball. Adding lead on both the hoops and grips of my Radicals was helpful, but I didn't keep them. My racquets have always had 12+ oz. heft and while those Radicals were certainly easier to handle and delivered rather nice feel, they were too lean and unstable for my game.

If you're concerned about the maneuverability of a heavier Prestige or something else, you can consider trying some lead on the handle to get yourself some extra head-light balance and probably some quicker handling. Even though my Radicals were "middleweights" in their stock layout, I liked them even more when they had some more HL balance - even before I added lead to their hoops. The truth is in the demos!

anubis 03-25-2013 06:21 AM

IF you like your current racquets, then increase the weight in a polarized fashion. Add weight to the handle and the head (12:00 noon), which increases swingweight, which increases power.

If you are not happy with your racquet, then use TW's racquet power comparison tool and put your top 3 choices along with your racquet it on there. it will tell you how much more powerful something is. Find a bunch that fit your requirements and then demo them.

hersito 03-25-2013 06:31 AM

Wow no wonder why you get no power, poly at 57, in a LM. Drop the tension to 50 or as much as you can handle, or switch to multifilaments at around 54, you will have more than enough power. If you don't like it you have 2 "cheap options" the first as someone said before the Head Radical MG MP should give you around 5% more power with the same setup and its around $90, or try the "old" blade 98 for $ 150. For the expensive options you can try the new blade 98, and if you want to go the 100'' way the babolat apd gt is 150 and the new one 200 (this is the most powerful racquet of all the ones I'm advising you) or the Head ig speed 18x20 150, or the nw speed pro graphene 18x20.

Tamiya 03-25-2013 10:39 PM

since you've got 2... I've added cap grommet to 1 of my LM Rad mids
and eschewing all tight poly for thin multis done looser

Imho now it swings more like Prestige but less ponderous

Youtek Prestige S feels similar too if you don't like modding,
bought 1 new last week. Feels more agile than other Ps.

ChicagoJack 03-26-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7298748)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7301291)
IF you like your current racquets, then increase the weight in a polarized fashion. Add weight to the handle and the head (12:00 noon), which increases swingweight, which increases power.

If you are not happy with your racquet, then use TW's racquet power comparison tool and put your top 3 choices along with your racquet it on there. it will tell you how much more powerful something is. Find a bunch that fit your requirements and then demo them.

Yes to both statements above. Inherent racquet power is almost directly related to one factor, and one factor alone... and that one factor is swing weight. Head size and flex matter slightly at the tip and the sides, but mostly it's just racquet head speed and swing weight that are the issues here. So there is no real mystery about what is slightly more powerful than X or Y racquet.

If you'd like to swing faster, and get your juice that way, a lighter frame will help you to do that, and you will get some additional spin out of the deal. Swinging faster might also increase your unforced errors if it pops you out of your timing groove too much.

If you'd like to swing the same speed, but add a bit more pop, a higher sw will help you do that. You will get increased comfort, and increased stability on off center shots as a side bennie out of that bargain.

Hope this helps,

Jack

LeeD 03-26-2013 03:15 PM

I have 2 LMRadMids in PuertoRico.
What I didn't like was the stiffness in the upper hoop, giving me shoulder problems on serves.
After doinking around a few or several choices, maybe I should look at the DunlopBio200 +.

keithfival 03-26-2013 06:50 PM

I agree about dropping the tension to 50 and you could try an 18g poly main for more pop and spin.

If you do check out other frames though, try the new black Blade 98. I tried the 16x19 and thought, wow all those years I was looking for an MG Rad with more pop, this is it.

speedtrap 04-05-2013 07:46 AM

Hi, thank very much for all the suggestions and advices:)
I lowered the string tension from 58 to 52 (Isospeed 17L poly), and it felt really better! The power and even the control had increased. From what I know, a higher string tension should give more control, but it was the opposite. Lowering the tension to 52 felt like I can direct the ball much better with more power (the speed and power of the ball that I'm looking for!) compared with the string tension of 58.

I think I don't want to replace my LM Radical MP, but If I were to replace it (since my rackets are really old and worn out already), I think I want now a racket that is almost exactly like the LM Radical MP (a little heavier is ok, but now lighter). I know that this racket is still available, but I just want a newer model with a new look if I were to buy a new pair:)