Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   TOP 5 Platform Frames (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458611)

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 03:25 AM

TOP 5 Platform Frames
 
Here is my compilation of the best* currently available platform** racquets:

1. Head MicroGEL Radical MP
2. Tecnifibre T-Fight 315 Ltd
3. Wilson Blade Team 104
4. Head IG Prestige MP
5. Babolat Pure Storm Team GT

What would be your choice and why?
Is there other options to consider?


*According to user reviews and forum discussions
**Perfectly fit for customization, close to pro stock

Ess 03-24-2013 04:12 AM

Yonex VCORE 97 (310)

Light and flawless. A no excuses racquet that does it all and can be customized for days.

The Meat 03-24-2013 04:38 AM

1. Any Dunlop racquet
2. Any Wilson 18x20 11.5oz racquet
3. Almost every Head racquet except instinct, because that's for little babby's.
4. And imo any Six One Tour racquet if heavy racquets don't effect you at all.

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 05:04 AM

Well, let's focus on alternatives that can actually challenge those TOP 5.
Yonex VCore 97 is a good one, I would consider it a Prestige MP alternative.
As much as I like Dunlop racquets, I do not see them widely used as a customization platform. 300T, maybe?

srvnvly 03-24-2013 05:09 AM

Specifically for Head, the new Graphene Speed MP (current stick of choice) is perfect for customization; I would also add the Wilson BLX Tour 2012, and the Babolat Pure Storm GT racquets.

THESEXPISTOL 03-24-2013 05:17 AM

The radical MP has to win this!

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7299033)
Specifically for Head, the new Graphene Speed MP (current stick of choice) is perfect for customization; I would also add the Wilson BLX Tour 2012, and the Babolat Pure Storm GT racquets.

Graphene Speed MP would be a dark horse in this race, not enough feedback from modders.
Besides, 320 SW is a bit too much for a platform frame. IG Prestige MP would probably be more flexible choice.

Pure Storm GT Team is better suited for customization, spec wise. It is more flexible, less swingweight, same beam width version of Pure Storm GT.

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 08:24 AM

Just to encourage all who want to try customization but are afraid to use lead: Babolat Tungsten Tape is in the house!
Order now,
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babo...-BBALTAPE.html

dje31 03-24-2013 09:21 AM

Head Graphene Instinct Rev
Head Graphene Speed Rev

Check the specs

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dje31 (Post 7299451)
Head Graphene Instinct Rev
Head Graphene Speed Rev

Check the specs

Specs are nice for a tweener. But frames have totally different design compared to most popular "player's" racquets. And I'm trying to pinpoint best retail alternatives to pro stock frames, which is not just about how much weight you can add without breaking your arm.

Of all lightweight tweeners with nice flex and big sweet spot, Wilson Blade Team/104 is probably the best platform (especially if you consider how its design proved successful on WTA tour).

swfh 03-24-2013 09:51 AM

Dunlop aerogel 4d 300 tour. From the dunlop pro mold

Tropikal_Knights 03-24-2013 09:56 AM

Head Prestige mid in all its incarnations
Donnay Platinum mid......

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swfh (Post 7299525)
Dunlop aerogel 4d 300 tour. From the dunlop pro mold

That's what I thought, but it's not available anymore. Looking forward to new "classic" version...

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropikal_Knights (Post 7299541)
Head Prestige mid in all its incarnations
Donnay Platinum mid......

I'm using retail Prestige Mid myself, but I would not call it a platform frame: it's too heavy for that.

Donnay racquets with built-in customization system is a brilliant idea!
But some Tungsten tape and Blu-Tack work just as well ;)

Power Player 03-24-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropikal_Knights (Post 7299541)
Head Prestige mid in all its incarnations
Donnay Platinum mid......

The prestige mid is not a platform racquet in any way.

SFrazeur 03-24-2013 10:51 AM

When I think of platform racquets I think of mid weight 11.0 oz (+/- 0.5 oz) frames with low 300-310 swing weight and that are headlight.

-SF

maxpotapov 03-24-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 7299688)
When I think of platform racquets I think of mid weight 11.0 oz (+/- 0.5 oz) frames with low 300-310 swing weight and that are headlight.

-SF

Not just that, but they should also respond well to modifications. For example, Pure Storm Ltd GT would be a nice frame to modify for greater swingweight. But after all attempts people still feel like they sacrifice some performance, especially on serve. Same situation with EXO3 Tours.

Some racquets are better left unaltered, or with a minor touch of weight here and there (just for a placebo effect).

Power Player 03-24-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7299740)
Not just that, but they should also respond well to modifications. For example, Pure Storm Ltd GT would be a nice frame to modify for greater swingweight. But after all attempts people still feel like they sacrifice some performance, especially on serve. Same situation with EXO3 Tours.

Some racquets are better left unaltered, or with a minor touch of weight here and there (just for a placebo effect).

Yes, The Tec 315 is better for me at a lower swingweight. I have a more classic setup with it - 12oz but SW is ~318-320.

vsbabolat 03-24-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7299550)
That's what I thought, but it's not available anymore. Looking forward to new "classic" version...

Bio 300 Tour is also very good.

SFrazeur 03-24-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7299740)
Not just that, but they should also respond well to modifications. For example, Pure Storm Ltd GT would be a nice frame to modify for greater swingweight. But after all attempts people still feel like they sacrifice some performance, especially on serve. Same situation with EXO3 Tours.

Some racquets are better left unaltered, or with a minor touch of weight here and there (just for a placebo effect).

How well a racquet responds to modification is very subjective.

Placebo effect is rather big. I have seen some people on here write about leading up racquets that are already relatively high swing weight for their 3.0/3.5 selves to be using and state that the racuqets are unstable without modding. I'm just thinking to myself: Damn fool.

-SF


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse