Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head Extreme Pro 2.0 vs Graphene Speed Pro?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458630)

veloduffer 03-24-2013 07:05 AM

Head Extreme Pro 2.0 vs Graphene Speed Pro??

Has anyone hit with both and compared? Specs are fairly similar, so I wonder how much difference in spin, power and control.

I'm an Extreme Pro 2.0 but the 18x20 string pattern intrigues me, since I used to have the Wilson Six-One BLX in the same pattern and liked the control.

NoMansLandPlayer 03-24-2013 12:01 PM

I'd like to know as well

spinovic 03-25-2013 11:43 AM

I play with the XPro 2.0 and was curious about this as well.

I noticed the specs were really similar on the two.

I'm not looking to switch. I'm just curious as to how similar or different they are with the specs so close.

Bmr 03-25-2013 02:24 PM

Count me in as someone else who would really like to know. The obvious difference is the Speed is 18x20 and the Extreme Pro 2 is 16x19. Other than that the specs look really close! It received good reviews from TW staff as well...just a hair under what the Extreme Pro 2 got. I like the fact that it is even more headlight than the EP2. That racquet might just be a hair too heavy for me in preference.

spinovic 03-26-2013 11:51 AM

Reviews I've read of the G Speed Pro often describe it as "polarized". I'm not sure what that means, but it seems like it would mean that the racquet feels like most of the weight is in the opposite ends of the racquet.

I certainly wouldn't describe the Extreme as polarized. It feels solid and well-balanced to me.

You would think the open pattern on the Extreme would make it a little more powerful and easier to produce spin, but the Speed got good ratings in both those categories as well.

I just figured the biggest differences were in how the weight was distributed through the racquet, since that is supposed to be the thing with Graphene...its strength allows the weight to be placed differently.

Still, can't help but be curious based on the nearly identical specs.

Bmr 03-26-2013 03:34 PM

Surely someone has played with this combo! Am I going to have to demo another racquet now?!?

I'm going to be playtesting the Blade 98 again tonight. It plays fairly similar to the Extreme Pro 2, but not quite as forgiving. I'm going to change the strings on my EP2 back to Sonic Pro and play with it for a few weeks. The volleying on that frame is quite incredible...you feel like you can hit anywhere on the court. It's just a bit more demanding than the Juice in terms of weight on the groundies. However, I should also note that the EP2 I received weighs about 4 grams heavier than spec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinovic (Post 7304748)
Reviews I've read of the G Speed Pro often describe it as "polarized". I'm not sure what that means, but it seems like it would mean that the racquet feels like most of the weight is in the opposite ends of the racquet.

I certainly wouldn't describe the Extreme as polarized. It feels solid and well-balanced to me.

You would think the open pattern on the Extreme would make it a little more powerful and easier to produce spin, but the Speed got good ratings in both those categories as well.

I just figured the biggest differences were in how the weight was distributed through the racquet, since that is supposed to be the thing with Graphene...its strength allows the weight to be placed differently.

Still, can't help but be curious based on the nearly identical specs.

Ross K 03-26-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmr (Post 7305247)
Surely someone has played with this combo! Am I going to have to demo another racquet now?!?

I'm going to be playtesting the Blade 98 again tonight. It plays fairly similar to the Extreme Pro 2, but not quite as forgiving. I'm going to change the strings on my EP2 back to Sonic Pro and play with it for a few weeks. The volleying on that frame is quite incredible...you feel like you can hit anywhere on the court. It's just a bit more demanding than the Juice in terms of weight on the groundies. However, I should also note that the EP2 I received weighs about 4 grams heavier than spec.

Let us know how you find the comparison w/the Blade. I recently played the Extreme Pro version - one prior to present 2.0 version - and found it hits really nicely from the backcourt in terms of oomph and big spin, pretty solid, not such bad feel. However, balance/weighting felt a bit sluggish, a bit 'off' somehow.

Hankenstein 03-27-2013 12:10 AM

i will post a long comparison later today when im on my laptop and not the phone. Have played both for quit a while and they are very different in every category.

longer review will follow but in short the speed is control and the extreme is power and spin and much easier to play with

spinovic 03-27-2013 06:41 AM

Good deal. Anxious to hear a good side-by-side comparison.

Bmr 03-27-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankenstein (Post 7306604)
i will post a long comparison later today when im on my laptop and not the phone. Have played both for quit a while and they are very different in every category.

longer review will follow but in short the speed is control and the extreme is power and spin and much easier to play with

Really looking forward to this. Thanks.

Bmr 03-27-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 7306545)
Let us know how you find the comparison w/the Blade. I recently played the Extreme Pro version - one prior to present 2.0 version - and found it hits really nicely from the backcourt in terms of oomph and big spin, pretty solid, not such bad feel. However, balance/weighting felt a bit sluggish, a bit 'off' somehow.

The Blade seemed a bit stiff to me and not as crisp when hitting through the strokes. I'm thinking it's just the string, because when I hit with my friend's Aero with the RPM Blast it produced a similar sensation on contact. Also, I've noticed when you hit shots closer to the throat of this racquet it produces a weird vibration, even with the dampener on. Strange. I prefer the balance to be a bit more headlight...my groundies are really dependent on me getting through the ball quick.

Kinda weird, I would think we would be pretty much aligned on this racquet seeing as how we've played with such similar frames.

Broke strings in 2 racquets last night, hah! The Savage in the Juice only lasted like 8 hours this time, if that.

Hankenstein 03-28-2013 12:43 AM

Ok guys! The G Speed Pro and the Extrem Pro 2.0 is not the same in any category.

The G Speed Pro is a frame where, imo, you have to hit pretty much everything in the sweetspot to make a good shot. If not, you can really feel the vibrations from the offcenter hit.
The spin is ok, not more. You dont get any free spin from the GSP and most noticable is this at 2nd serves.
Power is ok in GSP, but you really have to work and be a good player to get full advantage of the GSP.

The IG Extreme Pro 2.0 on the other hand is very easy and comfortable to play with. It feels very crisp and the power level is very good but it also offers a good control. Spin is wicked and you dont need to work that much to make a god shot with the EP2.0
Offcenter hits is hardly not noticable and you will make much more good shots with the 2.0

If you are a player with flat, hard strokes and flat or sliced serves i would recommend the GSP but if you are more of a topspin player and/or not have the 100 % perfect hit at the ball, then i would say go with the 2.0. When my wif was watching me play with a IG Radical Pro and a Extreme Pro 2.0 she said i played much more solid and hit much better shots with the 2.0 and put much more preassure on my opponent.

veloduffer 03-28-2013 03:12 AM

Thanks Hankenstein for the review. The Speed Pro sounds less appealing. The EP2 plays so well that it would be hard for me to change.

Ross K 03-28-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankenstein (Post 7309090)
Ok guys! The G Speed Pro and the Extrem Pro 2.0 is not the same in any category.

The G Speed Pro is a frame where, imo, you have to hit pretty much everything in the sweetspot to make a good shot. If not, you can really feel the vibrations from the offcenter hit.
The spin is ok, not more. You dont get any free spin from the GSP and most noticable is this at 2nd serves.
Power is ok in GSP, but you really have to work and be a good player to get full advantage of the GSP.

The IG Extreme Pro 2.0 on the other hand is very easy and comfortable to play with. It feels very crisp and the power level is very good but it also offers a good control. Spin is wicked and you dont need to work that much to make a god shot with the EP2.0
Offcenter hits is hardly not noticable and you will make much more good shots with the 2.0

If you are a player with flat, hard strokes and flat or sliced serves i would recommend the GSP but if you are more of a topspin player and/or not have the 100 % perfect hit at the ball, then i would say go with the 2.0. When my wif was watching me play with a IG Radical Pro and a Extreme Pro 2.0 she said i played much more solid and hit much better shots with the 2.0 and put much more preassure on my opponent.

As it's the one remaining frame from last year I wanted to take a look at but never got round to, it's good to hear your feedback re the Ex Pro 2.0, Hank. You going to stick with it for a bit?

Hankenstein 03-28-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 7309329)
As it's the one remaining frame from last year I wanted to take a look at but never got round to, it's good to hear your feedback re the Ex Pro 2.0, Hank. You going to stick with it for a bit?

Sold them to quick Ross so no, but will maybe buy two again and give some court-time. My next project is the original Aero Pro Drive without cortex. Never tried it actually!

spinovic 03-28-2013 09:19 AM

Thanks for the review. I was curious ever since I saw the similar specs.

It is amazing how two racquets with only the string pattern being a noticeable difference in specs could be so different.

Just goes to show...we can look for the specs we like, but it is always best to demo.

Ross K 03-28-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankenstein (Post 7309499)
Sold them to quick Ross so no, but will maybe buy two again and give some court-time. My next project is the original Aero Pro Drive without cortex. Never tried it actually!

Ah, now you're talking. :) My old frame. Yet again, I'll be curious to see how you get on here, H.

Bmr 03-28-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 7310158)
Ah, now you're talking. :) My old frame. Yet again, I'll be curious to see how you get on here, H.

Ross, you really need to try out the Extreme Pro 2. Quite the racquet. It is an interesting experience. I am going to string it up with the Head Sonic Pro next time. I've been using the Gosen Polylon SP and I tried the BHB7 in it, but the Sonic Pro really did well for me last time I used it with that.

Ross K 03-28-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmr (Post 7310451)
Ross, you really need to try out the Extreme Pro 2. Quite the racquet. It is an interesting experience. I am going to string it up with the Head Sonic Pro next time. I've been using the Gosen Polylon SP and I tried the BHB7 in it, but the Sonic Pro really did well for me last time I used it with that.

Well, can't deny it doesn't hold some curiosity for me. :wink: But TBH I've got my hands full with the blades, plus I've still got the 99s in my bag. I just need a good little of period of playing a lot, familiarising myself fully with these frames, my game, etc.

acura9927 03-28-2013 02:31 PM

How is the 2.0 for 1hbh? Its got a frying pan look to it. Looks kind of funny. The review on TW is top notch for it