Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   All Court Racquet Recommendations (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458637)

Lonno 03-24-2013 08:27 AM

All Court Racquet Recommendations

Getting back into the game after a 15 year break and trying to figure out a good racquet to start with. All court control oriented game but would like a little pop in my racquet (like to slice and hit heavy topspin). Never played with a racquet head larger than 90 sq in, so I'm looking in the mid to mp range. No history of elbow or wrist issues (but would like a stick that is somewhat arm friendly). Based on this forum and TW reviews, I think I've narrowed is down to:

Volkl PB10
Wilson BLX six.one 95 18*20
Head Graphene Speed Pro
Dunlop Max 200 Biomimetic

Not looking to demo right now (my strokes/game) won't be consistent enough that I'll trust my own feedback from racquet to racquet. Whatever I start with may be replaced within 6 months.....just looking for a solid racquet to ease my re-entry into the game. All thoughts are appreciated.

Muppet 03-24-2013 09:08 AM

If you buy used from TW, you have a 30 day return policy for a full refund, excluding string. That will give you more demo time for each racquet.

Lonno 03-24-2013 09:59 AM

Thanks Muppet. I hadn't thought of going that route....TW has a used PB10....maybe I'll start with that.

MikeHitsHard93 03-24-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 7299425)
If you buy used from TW, you have a 30 day return policy for a full refund, excluding string. That will give you more demo time for each racquet.

This is great advice and is what I would do

USS Tang 03-24-2013 01:24 PM

How old are you? How big are you? How good are you?

Meaghan 03-24-2013 01:33 PM

Players frame with pop that has room for modification to suit your needs and can be a stick that improves with you, Boris Becker DC London. Silky smooth manoeuvrability like pb10 but with a bigger sweetspot and more oomph, little bit of lead in hoop and slap on a leather grip.

Lonno 03-24-2013 01:50 PM

42 years old, not big (5'7" 140lbs), played DIII...I would guess that I'm a 4.5ish doubles player (don't see much singles in my future).

Thanks Meaghan....I'll take a look at the Becker London.

Torres 03-24-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonno (Post 7299328)
Getting back into the game after a 15 year break and trying to figure out a good racquet to start with. All court control oriented game but would like a little pop in my racquet (like to slice and hit heavy topspin). Never played with a racquet head larger than 90 sq in, so I'm looking in the mid to mp range. No history of elbow or wrist issues (but would like a stick that is somewhat arm friendly). Based on this forum and TW reviews, I think I've narrowed is down to:

Volkl PB10
Wilson BLX six.one 95 18*20
Head Graphene Speed Pro

Not looking to demo right now (my strokes/game) won't be consistent enough that I'll trust my own feedback from racquet to racquet. Whatever I start with may be replaced within 6 months.....just looking for a solid racquet to ease my re-entry into the game. All thoughts are appreciated.

All depends on how you play, your level of play and your particular preferences. You've chosen 4 racquets which are actually very, very different to each other.

The PB10 (I assume you're referring to the Mid) is a heavy, flexy stick, with alot of its weight distributed towards either ends (known as 'polarized'). Swingweight (to me anyway) feels higher than TW's listed 320. If you've got long fluid, precise strokes, you may like it. It's the most demanding stick out of all of them IMO.

6.1 18x20 - ruled out due to your requirement for 'pop' and heavy topspin. It's a flat hitting stick. I played with this for years and it was only until I switched sticks that I realised how hard I had to work with the 6.1. To be honest, I'm surprised you haven't listed the BLX90. If you can handle the weight, its a beautiful playing stick, with a bigger usable sweetspot than you would expect for a 90.

G-Pro - I've only had a brief hit with this but I quite liked it. Flat hitting rather than heavy topspin orientated, and quite a bit of weight is located in the hoop (rather than more evenly distributed in the throat and handle) but it has solid feeling head. Nice racquet for hitting through the court and a fair amount of pop due to that head weighting. Headsize plays like something noticeably smaller than a 100.

200g Bio - haven't played with this but the swingweight might be a bit low. That said, it isn't something you couldn't potentially correct with a small amount of lead.

Lonno 03-24-2013 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info Torres. It doesn't seem that this is going to be as easy as I thought.....I had picked out four "player frames" that seemed to be highly thought of in the reviews and forums. My game (the game I had) doesn't have a primary trait....moderate swing length, topspin from the forehand side, quite a bit of slice on the backhand side.....basically a counter-puncher that is always looking for an opportunity to get to the net (but no dominant shot to get me there consistently on its own). In the simplest terms I'm looking for a well-balanced racquet that will allow me to do everything and maybe add a few mph to my forehand and serve when I need it. Along with the Becker DC London, any recommendations are appreciated.

Muppet 03-24-2013 03:19 PM

This will help narrow it down, if you are racquet spec. savvy.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-...quetspecs2.cgi

USS Tang 03-24-2013 05:13 PM

At 42, you're too young to give up on singles. Stay fit and you'll play singles into your 70s.

Torres 03-24-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonno (Post 7300289)
My game (the game I had) doesn't have a primary trait....moderate swing length, topspin from the forehand side, quite a bit of slice on the backhand side.....basically a counter-puncher that is always looking for an opportunity to get to the net (but no dominant shot to get me there consistently on its own).

That sounds a little bit like a coach at my club, who also captains our 1st team. He's an Aussie guy who's plays alot of doubles and has a clever all court game without one dominant shot but he has every trick in the book and a game that leans towards S&V. He just loves his volleys and getting to the net, with a huge variety of serves that allow him to get there. Just to confuse your buying decision further he plays, believe it or not, with an old AeroPro Drive....

What racquet did you play with before? It might be an idea to start from there and see what the current day development of that would be. Also, if I was in your position, I'd be tempted to buy some racquets from e.Bay or from TW's used racquet service see what suits (I'm glad that you acknowledge that whatever you buy, you'll probably be changing in 6 or 12 months time once you've got your groove back). That way, they'll be relatively easy move on without losing too much money until you find something that definitely suits.

Meaghan 03-24-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7300636)
That sounds a little bit like a coach at my club, who also captains our 1st team. He's an Aussie guy who's plays alot of doubles and has a clever all court game without one dominant shot but he has every trick in the book and a game that leans towards S&V. He just loves his volleys and getting to the net, with a huge variety of serves that allow him to get there. Just to confuse your buying decision further he plays, believe it or not, with an old AeroPro Drive....

What racquet did you play with before? It might be an idea to start from there and see what the current day development of that would be. Also, if I was in your position, I'd be tempted to buy some racquets from e.Bay or from TW's used racquet service see what suits (I'm glad that you acknowledge that whatever you buy, you'll probably be changing in 6 or 12 months time once you've got your groove back). That way, they'll be relatively easy move on without losing too much money until you find something that definitely suits.

That's our club coach too, who also captains the first team! He plays with an n95, his synthetic strings usually around 30lb....

trilix 03-25-2013 06:27 AM

You've never played with anything bigger than 90 sq in, and you're relatively young. Why not try the different mid's out there. There another thread with a demo review of the Blade 93 and PS 90: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457261

Overdrive 03-25-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meaghan (Post 7300084)
Players frame with pop that has room for modification to suit your needs and can be a stick that improves with you, Boris Becker DC London. Silky smooth manoeuvrability like pb10 but with a bigger sweetspot and more oomph, little bit of lead in hoop and slap on a leather grip.

Thank you for referring a Boris Becker racquet to someone... They are great racquets and you don't have to worry about injuring your arm/wrist/shoulder (unless playing with bad technique). :)

USS Tang 03-25-2013 10:08 AM

Lonno, I play the game like you do, and we're the same height. Demo the Prince EXO3 Red 105. It is 27.25" long with a head size of 105 sq. in. It's also lightweight, relatively stiff, and with a good balance of power and control. Racket also volleys well.

AlfaAce 03-27-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonno (Post 7299328)
Head Graphene Speed Pro

Perfect choices! String them up at 57-60# with nat gut or a hybrid combo (gut mains and poly crosses... maybe Wilson nat gut and Lux 4G crosses :)).