Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Need some advice from One-handers (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458647)

gino 03-24-2013 11:03 AM

Need some advice from One-handers

Hey fellow one handers,

I am in need of some advice. I am a Div. III college player and I am thinking about switching to something more maneuverable. I also have had elbow problems, namely golfer's elbow. The golfer's elbow was the worst while I played with the Prestige MP, but is flaring up again.

This means abandoning my ol' faithful Wilson 6.1 95 16x18 and I've narrowed it down to three rackets (via play-testing, SW, other specs).

**I'll probably be adding weight to the handle to bring the balance to around 8pts HL

HEAD Speed IG 300 (16x19)
HEAD Youtek IG Radical Pro (16x19)
HEAD Prestige IG S (16x19)
Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 (16x19)
Volkl C10 Pro (16x19)

I've had a pretty extensive racket history so here are the Sparknotes:

2006: nCode Six.One 95 16x18
2007-2009: K-Six.One 95 16x18
2009: Wilson K-Pro Tour
2009-2010: HEAD Youtek Radical MP
2010-2011: HEAD MicroGel Prestige
2011: HEAD Youtek Prestige MP
2011: Wilson BLX Six.One 95 16x18
2012: Wilson BLX Six.One 95 16x18

Any advice about these rackets would be great. Thanks TT community

gino 03-24-2013 07:53 PM

Two-handers' input is also welcome! Thanks everyone!

Fed Kennedy 03-24-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gino (Post 7300843)
Two-handers' input is also welcome! Thanks everyone!

Forget the two handers man...vcore95d

Timbo's hopeless slice 03-24-2013 08:09 PM

well, I struggeld on BH with the V-COre 95D, actually..

(and I NEVER struggle on BH)

if you like the Wilson's stick with them.. The 6.1 95 is a fine frame.

I personally really enjoyed teh Dunlop Bio 200 on my BH, but it was hard work generating any service power so I moved on. However, if you hit a big serve anyway, give one of those a try..

Everyone says the Volkl X-10 325 is great too, but I haven't ever hit one.

bear in mind, I play Open tournaments with a Volkl X-7, so maybe my advice is not that good for you! :)

darklore009 03-24-2013 09:15 PM

kinda hard to pick which racket you like. those rackets are nice platform rackets that i can play around with. i add lead on the 12 to make any racket feel solid when i do a ohbh

gino 03-25-2013 10:40 AM

Thanks for the comments. I'm just mainly wondering how these three rackets play for one-handers and if any of you all have had good/bad experiences with these sticks.

Thanks

PrincessAdam 03-25-2013 10:43 AM

I use a Dunlop F 3.0 (18x20) and I like it for my ohbh. The M version would be good too.

Xonemains 03-25-2013 10:54 AM

Going through your list, I would just add lead to your old yt radical mp first.

Then go for PrincessAdam's rec. of those 2 dunlop 300 tour and 16 x 19 version.

gino 03-25-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xonemains (Post 7301888)
Going through your list, I would just add lead to your old yt radical mp first.

Then go for PrincessAdam's rec. of those 2 dunlop 300 tour and 16 x 19 version.

A couple years back, before I sold of the 3 YT Radical MPs I had, I put lead in various spots and couldn't find anything comfortable to play with against big hitters, or guys who hit a heavy ball.

Sander001 03-25-2013 11:37 AM

I'm also a one-hander and don't think I would ever go Wilson again. Too frustrating to groove your strokes to wildly varying specs. It's ok when fooling around but when playing at a higher level, mismatched frames are a handicap.

gino 03-25-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 7301989)
I'm also a one-hander and don't think I would ever go Wilson again. Too frustrating to groove your strokes to wildly varying specs. It's ok when fooling around but when playing at a higher level, mismatched frames are a handicap.

Interesting to hear. Thanks for your perspective, I agree about Wilson's QC. Seems to me like I have to special order from TW or find matched frames on e Bay to justify playing with Wilson again.

My current Six.One 95's are off on SW, static weight, and balance - even after being customized heavily.

Relinquis 03-25-2013 02:06 PM

if you have elbow issues and such, perhaps the ones with teh lower stiffness ratings are more suitable... how do these sticks compare in terms of stiffness?

fuzz nation 03-25-2013 03:52 PM

I'm older than you are, but I also hit a one-handed backhand. Whenever I try a frame that's on the lighter side than I'm used to, my backhand and volleys are the first shots that lose their mojo. I enjoyed the old 6.1 Classics some years ago when I was more of a serve & volleyer, but I've found more control around the baseline with a softer alternative - evolving into more of an all-courter.

The Volkl C10 has been great for me, but the Organix 10 could be a smart one to check out, too (haven't tried it). I run my C10s with snug synthetic gut and they give me zero discomfort, even if I'm keeping a very busy schedule on the courts. They're a little peculiar, just because they have some flex in their hoops. Although they're a little bit "tip dead" this hasn't been a problem for me at all. As soon as I switched into this racquet, my strokes really came alive, but I've still enjoyed enough of that 6.1 sort of performance with these that I haven't missed those Wilsons at all since my switch.

Sander001 03-25-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gino (Post 7302014)
Interesting to hear. Thanks for your perspective, I agree about Wilson's QC. Seems to me like I have to special order from TW or find matched frames on e Bay to justify playing with Wilson again.

My current Six.One 95's are off on SW, static weight, and balance - even after being customized heavily.

Same. Played with [k]90 for a while and tried to get them to play the same with lead and all that but then even the flex was different. Loved coming to net and volleying with that racquet.

gino 03-25-2013 07:21 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does a more flexible racket lend itself to more defensive and baseline oriented styles?? (i.e. Tomic, Djokovic, Hewitt, Ferrer)

In recent years I've developed into agressive baseliner, and I spend a good amount of time at the net. So, at this point I am wondering if switching to a more flexible frame will compromise my strengths as a player?

Thanks again

sandflea 03-25-2013 08:13 PM

Try an Angell or Vantage setup.

Slitch 03-26-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzz nation (Post 7302907)
The Volkl C10 has been great for me, but the Organix 10 could be a smart one to check out, too (haven't tried it). I run my C10s with snug synthetic gut and they give me zero discomfort, even if I'm keeping a very busy schedule on the courts. They're a little peculiar, just because they have some flex in their hoops. Although they're a little bit "tip dead" this hasn't been a problem for me at all. As soon as I switched into this racquet, my strokes really came alive, but I've still enjoyed enough of that 6.1 sort of performance with these that I haven't missed those Wilsons at all since my switch.

Played with the O10 325 with leather and og. Big sweetspot, very good vibration dampening, but the hoop seems a bit stiff. Solid on contact but comfortable. For the weight I expected more plowthrough. The C10 seems to be more powerful.

You could exercise your triceps. Low weight with many, slow repetitions. It really helps a lot! Makes your tendons stronger.

Anton 03-26-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gino (Post 7299717)
Hey fellow one handers,

I am in need of some advice. I am a Div. III college player and I am thinking about switching to something more maneuverable. I also have had elbow problems, namely golfer's elbow. The golfer's elbow was the worst while I played with the Prestige MP, but is flaring up again.

This means abandoning my ol' faithful Wilson 6.1 95 16x18 and I've narrowed it down to three rackets (via play-testing, SW, other specs).

**I'll probably be adding weight to the handle to bring the balance to around 8pts HL

Wilson Pro Staff Six.One 95 (16x19)
HEAD Speed Graphene MP (16x19)
Dunlop Biomimetic 3.0 (16x19)
HEAD Youtek IG Radical Pro (16x19)

All three of these rackets have favorable swing weights so a one-hander like myself can really get the racket around for all of my shots.

I've had a pretty extensive racket history so here are the Sparknotes:

2006: nCode Six.One 95 16x18
2007-2009: K-Six.One 96 16x18
2009: Wilson K-Pro Tour
2009-2010: HEAD Youtek Radical MP (I had my best results with this racket, but began to get pushed around due to lack of power)
2010-2011: HEAD MicroGel Prestige
2011: HEAD Youtek Prestige MP
2011: Wilson BLX Six.One 95 (16x18 )
2012: Wilson BLX Six.One 95 (16x18 ) - newest version

Any advice about these rackets would be great. Thanks TT community

More maneuverable doesn't necessarily mean lighter btw.

Prestige MP is somewhat unstable in the loop without some lead, so that may have contributed to your elbow problems.

I'd recommend you take Graphine Pro for a spin - it's got some traits of both Prestige MP and Wilson 95, but is more maneuverable per stability due to better weight distribution.

Graphine S is also an interesting option - a bit softer then PRO, more open pattern if you want "more power", and tons of room to customize.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head...HEAD-HGSS.html

bad_call 03-26-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gino (Post 7303468)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does a more flexible racket lend itself to more defensive and baseline oriented styles?? (i.e. Tomic, Djokovic, Hewitt, Ferrer)

In recent years I've developed into agressive baseliner, and I spend a good amount of time at the net. So, at this point I am wondering if switching to a more flexible frame will compromise my strengths as a player?

Thanks again

coming off GE (almost healed) and going with full syn gut 1st so can relate.

IME more flexible racquets can make it more difficult to put away the ball and yes one must play more defense at times. however if you're able to get to net then you're forcing the play. the dunlop 4D 100 (flex ~60 or so) is superb at volleys but somewhat lacking in pop when hitting ground strokes probably due to the 90 sq in head.

srvnvly 03-26-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7300862)
well, I struggeld on BH with the V-COre 95D, actually..

(and I NEVER struggle on BH)

if you like the Wilson's stick with them.. The 6.1 95 is a fine frame.

I personally really enjoyed teh Dunlop Bio 200 on my BH, but it was hard work generating any service power so I moved on. However, if you hit a big serve anyway, give one of those a try..

Everyone says the Volkl X-10 325 is great too, but I haven't ever hit one.

bear in mind, I play Open tournaments with a Volkl X-7, so maybe my advice is not that good for you! :)

Timbo: Apologies if you covered this in another thread, but have you had any issues with a 1HBH and the Volkl Organix 7 (310)? Thanks