Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   US Open pro stringers video (and how tight to tie knots) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458746)

mr_fro2000 03-25-2013 10:29 AM

US Open pro stringers video (and how tight to tie knots)

hey guys so i was watching this time magazine report on stringers at the us open. pretty cool vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC0Q-ZXJ9Y

As I was watching, I had a question about how tight to tie knots. At 4:40 the guy ties off what looks like parnell, but uses that tool and more importantly VERY LITTLE pressure to tighten the initial loop.

usually im pulling up and shimmying down and pulling very very hard (using my starting clamp). Im rather surprised how little he pulls on that knot.

should I not be tieing my knots as hard as I am? How much pressure do u guys put on when pulling the initial loop?

Irvin 03-25-2013 10:40 AM

That is a Wilson Pro knot and he is using cam action pliers. They are just good gripping pliers with no sharp edges or protruding points to put out and eye.

EDIT: a.k.a. Parallel pliers. The cam on the side was designed so you could grip the string and use the cam to pull a tighter tension. I would not recommend that though because with the leverage advantage it is easy to break your string. You will notice that stringer in that video did not use the cam to tighten the knot.

drakulie 03-25-2013 11:03 AM

Not much pressure is needed when tying knots. Especially with gut. The knot used in the video is known as a :

Pro knot
PC knot
Wilson knot
Wilson pro knot
Overhand knot
One and a half hitch
Surgeons knot
Etc

Adles 03-25-2013 11:04 AM

I also noticed that when he started the mains, he just stuck the loose string in the clamp, without double pulling both mains.

bbulla 03-25-2013 12:09 PM

The Wilson stringing team needs to learn how to cut string out of the racquet. 3:00

uk_skippy 03-25-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adles (Post 7301902)
I also noticed that when he started the mains, he just stuck the loose string in the clamp, without double pulling both mains.

That's old school method of starting, and nothing wrong with that although many stringers will back up that clamp with the starting clamp for extra security

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbulla (Post 7302086)
The Wilson stringing team needs to learn how to cut string out of the racquet. 3:00

No time to be picky here. Strings need to be cut out asap. While I would not teach anyone who's starting stringing to cut out the strings like that, in pro stringing rooms that method is fairly common practice.

Regards

Paul

bbulla 03-25-2013 12:34 PM

Paul,

I also noticed that the machines they are using have a Daiblo, but they don't use it. My machine doesn't even have one. What exactly does it do and why wouldn't you use it?

Thanks,

uk_skippy 03-25-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbulla (Post 7302224)
Paul,

I also noticed that the machines they are using have a Daiblo, but they don't use it. My machine doesn't even have one. What exactly does it do and why wouldn't you use it?

Thanks,

A diablo is used to 1) help guide the string into the jaws of the tensionhead, and 2) help reduce the stress on the string. Why they don't use them? I can't answer that. All I can say is that I use it on my Star 4 and Star 5, and on all strings.

There was a previous thread about the use of the diablo, so best search for that rather than bring that discussion up here.

Regards

Paul

zapvor 03-25-2013 07:23 PM

using the diablo slows you down just that much over the course of the day. 0.1 seconds per pull over hundreds of pulls add up

mr_fro2000 03-26-2013 04:05 AM

so is the consensus that pulling hard to tie and cinch knots is actually NOT necessary? drakulie mentioned that pulling hard is not needed. What do you guys do?

Irvin 03-26-2013 04:32 AM

I was thinking I pulled the knot at about 30 lbs of tension. Ten I thought it may be about half of that so I measured it. I pull my knots at around 30 lbs of tension. After I tighten the initial half hitch the subsequent pull on the tag end is somewhat less. Before I release the clamps I hold up the tag end with about 10 lbs of tension.

drakulie 03-26-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_fro2000 (Post 7303859)
so is the consensus that pulling hard to tie and cinch knots is actually NOT necessary? drakulie mentioned that pulling hard is not needed. What do you guys do?

Pulling the knot tight is unnecessary and could be damaging to anchor string. By pulling too tight, it could "choke" the anchor string and result in snapping it prematurely. Not a lot of pressure is needed to keep the knot snug.

In this video, you could see I don't pull the knot very tight and do it by hand. (Knot is near end of video). I also demonstrate the use of a cam action clamp/plier.

http://youtu.be/CDwAnjSYcxQ

diredesire 03-26-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 7302158)
That's old school method of starting, and nothing wrong with that although many stringers will back up that clamp with the starting clamp for extra security

No time to be picky here. Strings need to be cut out asap. While I would not teach anyone who's starting stringing to cut out the strings like that, in pro stringing rooms that method is fairly common practice.

Regards

Paul

I'm of a similar opinion. When you've got a pile 20 deep of frames, you aren't going to cut with flush cutters one or two strings at a time from the inside out. I take scissors (or house shears) and snip out ~4 strings in any direction from the center out in a plus shape (at best). Approx two or three cuts per direction. If I'm stringing at home, I approach it a little differently.

As far as untensioned mains, I think the yusuki style mains starting only gained popularity (among 'enthusiast' stringers) in the last few years (give or take). I would imagine it's still relatively unpopular from a global/big picture scale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_fro2000 (Post 7303859)

To tie specifically, no. You may need to give some sturdy pressure if you're pulling out slack (outside the frame). Simply fixing the string where it won't un-tie requires VERY LITTLE force. I did find the pulling duration for the knot a tiny bit concerning in the video, but nothing to be overly worried about. Avoid slack and you're fine.