Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to put your own power (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458759)

luishcorreia 03-25-2013 11:47 AM

How to put your own power

Today I played against a pusher, you could say. It wasnt very bad. He was very consistent but not that kind of pusher you loose your mind though.

I lost but the thing that caused me more trouble wasnt that everything came back, it was that his shots had nothing on them. Deep, but ver slow.

When I tryed to accelerate the ball normally it would sail long. I hit the ball and try to play within my comfort zone, but i HIT the ball. But against this type of players that just give you junk I seem to have trouble.

I am a 3.5 player. I can hit the ball with some power and good spin. At the end of the match the guy told me I should have won.. but made lot fo stupid mistakes.

What to do in this situation? In one part of the game I was hitting more flat taking the ball with a compact stroke ( l Tomic) and the worked. I won 8 / 10 points.. but then I stoped doing it.

Thanks in advance

sureshs 03-25-2013 12:02 PM

I played against a similar pusher yesterday. I won 6-3, 6-1. I realized I should have won 6-0, 6-0 but it obviously did not happen. The main problem was putting away high floating short balls. I was overhitting them. In the second set, I added more top spin. But once you come in to attack the short ball (and they are waiting for you to do that), you better put it away for good, and if you don't, be prepared to stay your ground and volley. They are waiting for you to overhit, or get too cautious and not swing freely, then they want to pass you or lob you. You have to swing freely with topspin, and be prepared for them to run like crazy and retrieve it, and then you need to put it away with a volley.

In the backcourt, they are waiting for you to swing hard (or overhead smash) at a high ball and miss, get cautious, and start hitting tentatively, getting tighter and tighter, while they jerk you around. Again, from the backcourt, you have to swing freely, and you have to resist the temptation to slice, and you have to try to place the ball, not go to the middle due to fear.

Govnor 03-25-2013 12:06 PM

I have limited experience with pushers, but my limited experience tells me that they like to go side to side at the base line. That is their comfort zone. So why give them what they want?

Drop shot/Lob. Bring them in to the net even when your instincts tell you not too. Get them going forward and backwards, not side to side.

Anything short, be aggressive yourself and come into the net (even if that isn't your comfort zone either). Change the "look" of the match.

luishcorreia 03-25-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7302058)
I played against a similar pusher yesterday. I won 6-3, 6-1. I realized I should have won 6-0, 6-0 but it obviously did not happen. The main problem was putting away high floating short balls. I was overhitting them. In the second set, I added more top spin. But once you come in to attack the short ball (and they are waiting for you to do that), you better put it away for good, and if you don't, be prepared to stay your ground and volley. They are waiting for you to overhit, or get too cautious and not swing freely, then they want to pass you or lob you. You have to swing freely with topspin, and be prepared for them to run like crazy and retrieve it, and then you need to put it away with a volley.

In the backcourt, they are waiting for you to swing hard (or overhead smash) at a high ball and miss, get cautious, and start hitting tentatively, getting tighter and tighter, while they jerk you around. Again, from the backcourt, you have to swing freely, and you have to resist the temptation to slice, and you have to try to place the ball, not go to the middle due to fear.

I understand that. I was trying. But in the backcourt sometimes when I was hitting freely I overdid it. When I tried to play more conservative it went to the net or landed in.

I play with a low tension (48lb) and my setup is powerful, so i need do accelerate trough the ball in order to give it spin ti control the shot. When I play tentatively that does not happen and I over hit it...

His shots weren't very high.. they just had nothing..

sureshs 03-25-2013 12:54 PM

It is due to the body becoming tight.

arche3 03-25-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7302309)

I hate to agree with suresh. But he is right. You might of been pulling in your stroke and it will cause the ball to sail long. You need to swing fully. Not all out but a full stroke.

sureshs 03-25-2013 01:22 PM

Yeah I am always right.

Now, question is how not to become tight? Lots of advice out there like you are not playing for money, don't worry about losing, etc. But you know that losing does not matter, yet you become tight, so such advice doesn't work.

What works are 2 things: keep breathing properly (don't hold your breath), and have a strategy, like I am going to attack from wherever I am, or if I get a moonball, I am going to moonball with even more spin, or I am going to attempt an overhead smash of the moonball after it bounces. If you don't have a strategy, you become reactive. The pusher is waiting for you to hesitate between moonballing a moonball back, or to smash it (something you never practice off a bouncing ball in the backcourt, so likely to go wrong). The hesitation is enough to screw you up. But if you have a strategy (I will moonball it back, or I will reduce the height by topspinning it with a flatter trajectory, or I will smash it with 80% speed only), you remove the hesitation from your side and remove the mind from the equation.

sureshs 03-25-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govnor (Post 7302071)
I have limited experience with pushers, but my limited experience tells me that they like to go side to side at the base line. That is their comfort zone. So why give them what they want?

Drop shot/Lob. Bring them in to the net even when your instincts tell you not too. Get them going forward and backwards, not side to side.

Anything short, be aggressive yourself and come into the net (even if that isn't your comfort zone either). Change the "look" of the match.

There are pushers who like to go forwards and backwards too. When at the net, they just try to push the ball towards where you are not, instead of actively attacking it.

The overhead smash of a high bouncing ball is very effective, even if done at less than 100%. But it is seldom practiced.

I agree that some form of offense is needed.

sureshs 03-25-2013 03:27 PM

See this new article:

http://www.tennis.com/your-game/2013.../#.UVDcQByG3bM

luishcorreia 03-25-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7302309)

I think I identify with this...

luishcorreia 03-25-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7302838)

Nice article. I can relate to

"
Neutral
Simply match the ball speed.
"

This is my problem. The ball comes with no pace at all and I have to generate the pace all alone and over hit it. I need to send it back and matching speed. And have more patience..

monomer 03-25-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7302411)
Yeah I am always right.

Now, question is how not to become tight? .........

What works are 2 things: keep breathing properly (don't hold your breath), and have a strategy, .......

A good breathing tip in a book by a guy named Dave Ranney is to make sure you exhale at the proper time. Not just as you strike the ball, but a bit before. He recommends starting a light, sigh type exhale as the ball bounces coming toward you (or just as a serve is being struck when you are returning). You have to continue the controlled exhale until after you have hit the ball.

He claims that many people hold their breath as they hit and this contributes greatly to tensing up. I have found it almost impossible to tense up your body as you are exhaling.

When I remember to focus on this I do play looser and hit more consistently. I haven't practiced this enough to do it without thinking.