Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Playing a squash player tonight! Tactics and strategy??? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458831)

millardus 03-26-2013 04:39 AM

Playing a squash player tonight! Tactics and strategy???

Helllllllo folks

Playing a best of 3 set tennis match tonight against a classic former-squash player. He was nationally ranked number 1 in squash when under 18, so albeit he is 50 now, he's still fit as a fiddle and a decent tennis player!

His Style:

-Decent flat serve, can place it very well

- Very very very consistent slice backhand, stays very low on Astro or carpet courts. Does not have drive backhand though

- OK forehand, but inconsistent and not much power

Courts:

- We will play on quite slow hard courts tonight I think, snow still around on astro.

Atmospheric conditions:

- About 1 degree centigrade, outside!
- Around 11mph cross wind

So, let's have it, how do I play him ;-). I haven't hit with him before in this competitive, 17 person singles league we have going. I have my own ideas of how to tackle him, let's see if anyone can corroborate my thoughts!

He's a decent 4.0 standard tennis player, UK 6.2 or thereabouts.

My style is serve dominant....can hit swerve, kick and flat. Forehand is so-so, backhand block\slice is what I tend to default to hitting though my 2-hand backhand is quite solid IF I groove it and have confidence to go for it.

I'm about an LTA 6.1/6.2 standard myself, probably bordering the 2.

Have at it!

SystemicAnomaly 03-26-2013 04:58 AM

Bend your knees, get low. If he is like a lot of squash players he will probably hit a a lot of low, skidding slice shots off both wings.

Bobby Jr 03-26-2013 05:17 AM

Squash players will usually back themselves to just slice you into oblivion. If you can't hit him off the court moonball him to his backhand and keep coming to the net as long as he keeps giving your volleys to hit. Make your volleys count.

He's 50, make him move as much as you can.

Moz 03-26-2013 05:58 AM

You didn't specify his grips which might influence things.

I'd go high to his forehand and attack any short balls to his backhand if he has no topspin there.

Relinquis 03-26-2013 06:06 AM

play your game, not his...

if that fails, try to hit topspin to his forehand and then rush the net. will be harder for him to pass you using a forehand slice.

millardus 03-26-2013 06:12 AM

Thanks for the responses soo far guys!!

My plan was......................... topspin serve kickers to his backhand mostly (Be surprised if he got much cut into those), and then playing aggressive crosscourt forehands towards his forehand side and trying to finish at the net when the chance arises!

In saying that, I like the idea of being forceful to his backhand and net-rushing. My Spanish friend suggested toppy forehands to his forehand side too...... so that sounds good.

His grips are conti on backhand for sure, but he does drive the forehand.....Whereas I don't know his forehand grip, I'm pretty sure it'll be conti'ish.

Moz 03-26-2013 06:54 AM

I'd definitely keep it high and toppy on his forehand side for your normal rally ball. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

luvforty 03-26-2013 07:14 AM

slicers can't hit passing shots... send to his bh and control the net.

millardus 03-26-2013 07:31 AM

Bugger! He just dropped out!

And I cant get any of my other 3 opponents, scheduled for next 3 days, to play this eve.

He offered me a walkover, but not doing that!

Nuts!

Mongolmike 03-26-2013 08:19 AM

He probably reads these forum too, saw that you were dialing in the ultimate strategery... he knew he was in trouble and dropped out.

Now... if you see a thread started asking how to beat a serve dominant player on a slow hard court with a so-so forehand and a block bh......