Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   continental grip fore hand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458903)

Wilsonbro11 03-26-2013 06:18 PM

continental grip fore hand

I just started using the continental grip does anyone have any tips on it such as getting the ball to a certain spot or getting more power on it?

LeeD 03-26-2013 06:25 PM

Which spot do you need to go to?
I won a big draw C tourney using a conti forehand and 2hbh backhand.
Turn your shoulders more than closed, back almost facing the incoming ball. Use a full, early takeback and don't try to hit topspin on balls higher than chest high.
Late contact point, just behind your other shoulder.
How much power? Laver and Rosewall used conti forehand grips.

corbind 03-26-2013 11:09 PM

For forehand slice? Sure.
For serving? Sure.
For volleying? Sure.

Do NOT use Continental grip for a forehand topspin shot! It has a severe handicap for topspin forehands. Why make it hard on yourself? I use Eastern but a semi-Western is what I believe the most versitile for topspin forehand.

lpth 03-27-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilsonbro11 (Post 7305707)
I just started using the continental grip does anyone have any tips on it such as getting the ball to a certain spot or getting more power on it?

With a continental grip you would use the forehand slice technique which produces a flat or underspin shot.

For more power you could try the grip right next to the continental, the eastern.

For placement if you hit a forehand slice sideways you simply align your body to where you want the ball to go.

USS Tang 03-27-2013 03:37 AM

Continental grip can be used for topspin...if you're reallly good. Check out any Ilie Nastase video. He did it with the wood, 65 sq. in. head Dunlop Maxply Forte, no less.

LeeD 03-27-2013 12:07 PM

One of the best conti forehands ever was hit by AdrianoPanatta, who could absolutley CRUSH his topspin forehands using a conti grip.
More than closed shoulders, closed stance, late contact point.

BevelDevil 03-27-2013 04:21 PM

Why are you using a conti forehand? Just curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 7306730)
Continental grip can be used for topspin...if you're reallly good. Check out any Ilie Nastase video. He did it with the wood, 65 sq. in. head Dunlop Maxply Forte, no less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7307820)
One of the best conti forehands ever was hit by AdrianoPanatta, who could absolutley CRUSH his topspin forehands using a conti grip.
More than closed shoulders, closed stance, late contact point.

What's your assessment of the Edberg fh groundstroke?

LeeD 03-27-2013 04:28 PM

To me, Edberg uses a weak eastern for his forehands. OK for a net player's game, not ideal to pound from the baseline against consistent players.
In my case, I often use a conti everystroke grip when I play right handed. I play right handed maybe 3 days a year, so the normal strong SW can get flyers and groundballs on consecutive attempts. Conti gives me the controllable low slice, lob, and drop angles needed for doubles. Pace is lacking, but sufficient for 3.5 level play.

TomT 03-27-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7306560)
For forehand slice? Sure.
For serving? Sure.
For volleying? Sure.

Do NOT use Continental grip for a forehand topspin shot! It has a severe handicap for topspin forehands. Why make it hard on yourself? I use Eastern but a semi-Western is what I believe the most versitile for topspin forehand.

Yeah, basically agree. Eg., I go from something sort of close to Continental to something just slightly past Eastern on forehands ... from undercutting to more or less flat to coming over the ball. Not really much of an adjustment. Pretty slight, and it seems to happen automatically ... at least I don't think about it when I'm playing. Hmmm, maybe I should? :)

TomT 03-27-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7308423)
To me, Edberg uses a weak eastern for his forehands. OK for a net player's game, not ideal to pound from the baseline against consistent players.
In my case, I often use a conti everystroke grip when I play right handed. I play right handed maybe 3 days a year, so the normal strong SW can get flyers and groundballs on consecutive attempts. Conti gives me the controllable low slice, lob, and drop angles needed for doubles. Pace is lacking, but sufficient for 3.5 level play.

I'm impressed that you can play righthanded. I've dabbled with playing lefthanded, but I think it would take LOTS of practice to get anywhere near proficient at it.

LeeD 03-27-2013 04:49 PM

If I had any kind of second serve, my rightie would approach my lefty in doubles. First flat serves close to lefty, volleys much better, vision much better, overheads close, but that elusive second serve placement is killing the rightie game.
Most lefties are somewhat ambidextrious, and I've had multiple shoulder injuries from motocross crashes.
I can slice wide rightie, and twist off to the right, but that's it, period.

dlam 03-27-2013 08:12 PM

I use the right handed continental grip for all my serves , volleys and return of serve to really fast pace flattish serves
If the serve is slow then I go to my baseline type grip which is more semi western
I tend to take my right handed grip feeling like my hand is resting on top of the grip so as not to feel gravity of the racket until the precise moment for my western type grip
For the running forehand it more difficult to use the western forehand so you see my trying with an eastern forehand when I'm sideways to the net
I like to separate my continental grips into hegu and hypothenar subtypes as those are the pressure points I feel in my right hand when I attempt different shots

caltiger123 03-27-2013 08:46 PM

You will want to have your contact point much lower and try not to go for as much topspin and I would recommend slicing the ball when you are at the baseline instead of using topspin. You will not be able to sustain baseline rallies with players of equal level using an easter, semiwestern, or western grip so you will want to go to the net more often then not and play serve and volley tennis. I would not recommend a continental grip however. It is not to hard of a change to rotate your hand a little bit clockwise and then you will have an eastern grip which is much better for today's game.

USS Tang 03-28-2013 03:19 AM

BevelDevil, to answer your question, I use the continental grip because I was taught that way in the early 1960s. Never have to change my grip on any stroke.

corbind 03-28-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 7306730)

I can use scissors to cut my grass -- but it's inefficient. Yea, On occasion I've used shears (big scissors) to cut some blades of grass I could not get to with the mower. Still the weed whacker is best for that. Anyway...

Sure you could use a continental for a forehand but I'd do my best to convince any new player to not use it for forehand topspin. It's just not designed for that shot. You can easily slice or block fast serves back with it. I do both (but I'm a net guy so it's natural) but that's for fast stuff. For any shot you have time to set up on to hit topspin, a continental grip is the worst choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 7309203)
BevelDevil, to answer your question, I use the continental grip because I was taught that way in the early 1960s. Never have to change my grip on any stroke.

Now in your case, as you've been using the continental grip for 50 years, well, that's the grip you should use. You've had it most of your life and it's worked so why change it? Yet for the tennis noobs we all know we can't have a good conscience if we don't try to tell them there are vastly better choices for the topspin forehand.

Govnor 03-28-2013 09:00 AM

just seems like this would feel so unnatural on a standard forehand stroke from the baseline.

Govnor 03-28-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by USS Tang View Post

there is a lady in a clinic I go to that does this exactly. She said it just feels natural to her.

LeeD 03-28-2013 11:33 AM

Newbie...
Continental was used for topspin forehand for maybe 40 years or more.
Some guys, like Panatta and Roche, can actually hit real power and topspin on their forehands, while most don't, as you guys say.
If USSTang want's to use continental, then he should. Tennis is a game, and he should enjoy his game any way he wants. And he might just beat you, you using your W forehands and SW backhands.

BevelDevil 03-28-2013 11:53 AM

The OP said he, "just started using the continental grip."

btw, it seems that any usable conti grip ts fh would have to be a pistol grip.

LeeD 03-28-2013 12:08 PM

Surprisingly NO.
I used a pure conti grip topspin forehand for 5 years, my first 5. After my 3rd, I found it hard to pass A/Open net players using a pistol grip, so one of them showed me a more hammer grip, to get the rackethead around faster, allow the natural snap of the wrist to accelerate the rackethead, like a service motion (nobody pistols, but uses light hammer). It worked.
Pistol like McEnroe/Connors gives him the control, not the swingspeed. Guys who conti forehand topspin with pace and spin use a high prep, racket pointed up at the sky on the takeback, which is a result of the hammer grip. Or a high, long loop takeback, same modified hammer grip.