Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tier One Polyester Line Review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458914)

Centerforward71 03-26-2013 07:16 PM

Tier One Polyester Line Review

I was going to write a thread for each of the three Tier One poly string but I feel that comparing and contrasting will do a better job of explaining my findings.

I want to mention that i bought my test strings so I am in no way obligated to provide anything other than my honest opinion and even if they were free would do the same.

Let me start by saying that the customer service at tier one is exactly that, tier one. Extremely helpful, ship immediately, ask for feedback and care about what the players have to say, this is important to me.

Construction of ALL three strings is of high quality, it is clear when you open the strings that their uniformity and material is top notch and whether you like the string or not it is not because of shotty production or material,the packaging is also great although not a big factor for me but shows also overall quality. This is not a string in a make shift Ziploc bag with a paper description, not that this determines the strings performance but it is part of the whole experience. You dont want to get into a ferrari with cloth seats !

I want to say that I had several sets of both 16 and 17 gauge of all three. I dont want to get into the detail of the difference between each an each gauge, what I can say is that I PERSONALLY and the players I strung this for seem to prefer the 17 gauge string, reasoning is to follow.

I also want to say that they were tested on both dense and open patterns and did not find a huge difference nor got alot of different feedback personally or from my players who play different string bed patterns. By the way I play the Headh Graphene Speed Pro 18x20.

All three strings seemed pretty stiff right out of the bag with lots of recoil, they were all VERY similar in this way. BTW saying a poly is stiff is not a knock or a trait it is a descriptive and taken personally by preference. I can tell you that I felt that the 16g were all a bit too stiff for my liking and didnt provide me with enough feel. Firewire was still very lively at 16g but I felt that the extra liveliness and the lack of of feel was not a good combination for me in this string.

Now that I talked about Firewire let me continue with that. This string plays FUN, it is lively, produces great spin but for me I felt that it was a little too unpredictable. Lively and plenty of power and ample spin but I could not gauge a range with these. I think that these string would play very well for the lower powered player. Like I said it was fun, crisp, produced massive shots but for my style a bit unpredictable too make it a string of choice for match play. AGAIN this is personal I am not saying its not a good string, I am giving what I found so that someone else might find this a fit for them. All of my players are pretty much higher level players with power and all gave VERY similar feedback with this string. String tensions ranged from 52-60 (I tried both 54 and 60 and felt that tightening the string made it not much different just a bit stiffer but played similar.

That takes me to DURAFLUXX, I would have to say that this is the twin separated at birth of Firewire. They look similar, they feel similar visually and to touch, they recoil similar, both have texture but Firewire was raised in the Ghetto and DURAFLUXX was raised in Beverly Hills. Definitely a string of more finesse, lower power, pretty good spin and decent feel specially for what I foiund to be a stiff our of the bag string. Actually this string had a deadened kinda feel which I actually like and at times the deadened feel seemed a bit soft even. By the way as stiff as the string seemed out of the bag all three of them played softer than they looked. Duramaxx I could play with but it didnt wow me in any area. I felt that the string did a bit of all things well but none excellent.

this gets me to a point before I review the last. I personally like string with personality, because you can match personalities. When a string offers "ALL AROUND" play then it offers not much to me. this is not a knock on Duramaxx, it is a nice string that will be just that nice but never find its way to becoming the string of choice to play. String like Signum PPP or Silverstring, I hate when people say "Good at everything". what that means to me is that its great at NOTHING !!. I want a string that screams SOMETHING at me, ANYTHING, power, feel, spin, soft, hard, stiff SOMETHING PLEASE. This is my personal feeling and my honest opinion. Your better being GREAT at something than mediocre at everything....

This gets me to Tour Status. I was a bit hesitant at first specially because I like higher tensions (60+/-) and this stiff SCREAMED STIFF out of the bag. My arm was looking at me funny as I loaded it onto the stringer and set the weight at 60. Much to my surprise it had that deadened feel but was NOT harsh on my joints. Immediately this string screamed control at me and I could swing out on all wings and felt like I had plenty of control. Whenever that happens I start to worry about depth but was not the case, the string still had OK pop and felt was nicely balanced between the two for my game. Spin falls into this as well and for me SPIN should be classified more as AVAILABLE spin because I still feel that spin is a MAJOR FUNCTION of swing over string. I could put plenty of spin when I wanted and desired. Also I really liked the audible boom these strings make, specially on my flat serves. Plenty of power on the flat serves also. This is NOT a power string, so if you lack power avoid it because it will feel TWO stiff and you will not be able to move these strings enough to make them perform. I ordered a reel of the string and will be playing these for a while, they definitly can be a go to string.

By the way I cannot speak of loongevity because NONE were played beyond about 4-6 hours. All played pretty steady during that time frame, I personally thing that there is NO poly that plays the same longer than this and if you are looking for 15 hour polys then either your game is non descript and string matters little or you simply dont really care about performance.

I hope I didnt miss anything and that this is useful to someone.

o0lunatik 03-27-2013 11:28 AM

I mainly play with the Firewire strings and am enjoying it a lot in a hybrid setup with a low-medium powered string like Bomber NYC or SPPP. It is very lively as you had mentioned in a full bed setup and can get somewhat uncontrollable for a hard hitter. There's still ample power hybrid, easy access to spin especially on a kick or topspin serve. Ball pocketing and bite are excellent regardless of tension. I truly agree with your experience with all three of the Tier One strings, for I have tried them all. I stick to Firewire, b/c in my hands, it makes me too hot for many to handle.

I am glad that someone has given Tier One some more recognition. Their customer service is very friendly and speedy. It doesn't seem like they have much of the string market, but I do wish them success. They do offer premium products and priced at $90 a reel that outperforms most of its competitors of equal and doubled in value. Not to name any names, b/c other opinions may vary when it comes to string preference. They may have been laggers in the market, but obviously they've done their research prior to releasing their product. Ha! I guess that one advantage of being a laggart.

Happy playing y'all!

o0lunatik 03-27-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0lunatik (Post 7307713)
They do offer premium products and priced at $90 a reel that outperforms most of its competitors of equal and doubled in value.

To clarify my price stated and not to mislead anyone, this is for first time buyers with promo code, bulk buys, etc. Condition stated on their website.

Centerforward71 03-27-2013 05:30 PM

I wanna add that I did not mean to imply that duramaxx is mediocre I meant that it was good at most things but not over the top at any. The string is quality in construction and is quality for someone that likes its characteristic.

I also want to add that after about 1 hr of hitting the string is playing better for me in that spin potential has increased, power is still medium-low and control still nice. Serves have also gotten better I think this string deserves a little lower initial tension.

Centerforward71 03-27-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0lunatik (Post 7307713)
I mainly play with the Firewire strings and am enjoying it a lot in a hybrid setup with a low-medium powered string like Bomber NYC or SPPP. It is very lively as you had mentioned in a full bed setup and can get somewhat uncontrollable for a hard hitter. There's still ample power hybrid, easy access to spin especially on a kick or topspin serve. Ball pocketing and bite are excellent regardless of tension. I truly agree with your experience with all three of the Tier One strings, for I have tried them all. I stick to Firewire, b/c in my hands, it makes me too hot for many to handle.

I am glad that someone has given Tier One some more recognition. Their customer service is very friendly and speedy. It doesn't seem like they have much of the string market, but I do wish them success. They do offer premium products and priced at $90 a reel that outperforms most of its competitors of equal and doubled in value. Not to name any names, b/c other opinions may vary when it comes to string preference. They may have been laggers in the market, but obviously they've done their research prior to releasing their product. Ha! I guess that one advantage of being a laggart.

Happy playing y'all!

Good on the hybrid using a low powered cross. I am not a big fan of hybrids other than Gut/poly but if it works for you then great.

TierOneSportsOfficial 03-28-2013 09:15 PM

First off, Centerforward71 thanks for making the effort of reviewing our products. We would like to add one piece of information to this post about our co-polyester strings (and this might be applicable to many other new co-polys on the market). Although tennis strings are a very subjective matter (as long as the fundamental quality of the string is good), and players of different ages and different levels usually prefer their strings to have certain characteristics (control, power, spin potential, recoil, feel, arm-friendliness, tension stability, durability, etc.), string tension plays a crucial factor for a tennis string to perform best. Although, for example, we have received great reviews from high level players that string a full set of Tour Status at 40 lbs and 58 lbs, in general, it appears that the new generation of co-polyester perform best at around 48 - 52 lbs.

Lex 03-29-2013 03:15 AM

Tieronesports is correct about Tour Status playing well at 48-52#.

I searched several reviews before I did the Tour Status play test. I strung my Prestige Pro at 50# and loved the string. Just ordered some too.

Centerforward71 03-29-2013 05:20 AM

I want to add that another session with DURAFLUXX and it grows on me more each time that I take it out, Power has become a bit better and ball pocketing and spin are pretty good. Feel is still lagging here but its a poly. I have a couple of other string that I have been testing and at the end of each session I get the racquets and look at them and say "OK WHO AM I CUTTING OUT" Funny enough DURAFLUXX continues to make the cut and stay on the racquet !!

I feel at least for this string I probably overdid it on the tension and should have started at perhaps 53-54 for me. I have one more set and going to do string at 52.

Problem is I like poly at 60 and at 30 !! Lets see what happens more to come.

By the way I am playing their MULTI Triumph and just go a reel, phenomenal string, love this, if you play MULTI you gotta try it...

o0lunatik 03-29-2013 06:04 AM

I have yet to try any poly lower than 48lbs. I just find that the string doesnt snap back as much after several hours of hitting (period varies by string). I like to keep the tension right around 60. Therefore I string high around 63-65, so that it'll settle close to 60. I've even strung Firewire at 68lbs and did not find it stiff at all and plays quite lively with a little more control than few lbs lower. Firewire will settle nicely and the performance is consistant throughout its life.

Alexjc1 03-29-2013 11:44 AM

I bought a reel of Tour Status after trying one set of it through the stringforum playtest. I am really liking it so far, as it really does have stellar control. The power is average if not slightly less than average, the spin is slightly above average, and it is very easy to control the depth of my shots.
For reference: I am stringing it at 55 lbs on a Tecnifibre 325 VO2 Max (2011) racquet, and I am playing college tennis next year at a top 5 nationally ranked JUCO.

Centerforward71 04-03-2013 04:55 PM

DO I EVER NEED TO CORRECT MYSELF!!!

Every time I went to cutout durafluxx I said let me give it one more go. So I took it out and said hmmm. Little better spin. Better control. Nice pocketing. Hmm.

Got home and was gonna cut it out and said nah one more outing. Well u see where I am going with this.

I definitely started this string too tight and it plays better every time out. had to play a match on clay yesterday and didn't want to use the multi strings so I brought out mr durafluxx and absolutely loved it. Won my match. I want to say now I even like it better than tour status but I believe I need to lower also on the tour status. I hit again today and going on about six or so hours of hitting and play and going strong.

I have one more set but I may be getting a reel of this string. My apologies to durafluxx for judging improperly on first impression. I would say that I may string at the same just knowing I need to let it settle because I am realllyyyyy liking this string.

tlm 04-03-2013 04:59 PM

I tried the tier one and thought it felt nice but unlike some above I thought it had a lot of power. It had a good feel, good spin, but to powerful for me.

djNEiGht 04-03-2013 08:20 PM

I got a reel of Triumph and a pack of Firewire and Tour Status. I plan on using them in a hybrid.

Last summer I was able to play with Poly's after a close to 2 year multi/syn gut elbow saving experience. Alas the Poly caught up to me GE after playing with a full bed set up (multiple restrings) for a couple months. I have a feeling that my increased frequency of tennis and then hitting into the chilly fall temps may have done me in...

I will add to this as I am able to do so.

Thinking of poly mains and multi crosses at 53 or maybe 55. I usually hit with gut/syn/multi at 60 and then when I play full bed of poly is 48-50.

Thanks Tier One!!!

TierOneSportsOfficial 04-03-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7323564)
I tried the tier one and thought it felt nice but unlike some above I thought it had a lot of power. It had a good feel, good spin, but to powerful for me.

May I ask which co-poly you used from us? Tour Status, Durafluxx or Firewire? Thanks

tlm 04-04-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tieronesports (Post 7324089)
May I ask which co-poly you used from us? Tour Status, Durafluxx or Firewire? Thanks

Sorry I forgot to state that it was the tour status string.

McLovin 04-05-2013 02:40 AM

After seeing this thread I went over to their website & checked out the offerings. I like that they have 'introductory offers' that allow you to try a set or two (or four, in my case) at a reduced rate.

I'll be putting the Firewire as a cross w/ my gut mains and will compare to Co. Focus. I also coach a high school girls team, and will put the Tour Status and Durafluxx in their racquets & have them compare to Tour Bite / Focus Hex.

I don't normally use multis, but for $5 more I figured why not? So I'll have a set of Triumph to test as well. My only complaint is they don't have Triumph in a thinner gauge. It's 16 (1.30mm) only, and I usually put 17g synthetics as a cross to polys. But, as a full multi, I guess 16 is probably more durable.

mikeler 04-05-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7326041)
After seeing this thread I went over to their website & checked out the offerings. I like that they have 'introductory offers' that allow you to try a set or two (or four, in my case) at a reduced rate.

I'll be putting the Firewire as a cross w/ my gut mains and will compare to Co. Focus. I also coach a high school girls team, and will put the Tour Status and Durafluxx in their racquets & have them compare to Tour Bite / Focus Hex.

I don't normally use multis, but for $5 more I figured why not? So I'll have a set of Triumph to test as well. My only complaint is they don't have Triumph in a thinner gauge. It's 16 (1.30mm) only, and I usually put 17g synthetics as a cross to polys. But, as a full multi, I guess 16 is probably more durable.

I think you'll need a 16g multi for durability. The 17g would probably snap too quick. 17g poly mains with 16g multis is my favorite setup.

3fees 04-05-2013 08:00 AM

Just ordered Tour Status, Durafluxx and Firewire at introductory price, going to string them in 3 identical racquets and review them, tried tour status as tester , happy with it, one or all three of these will hit the spot and be good for my game.

Laney Tennis 06-24-2013 06:58 PM

Anyone else tried the Tier One strings recently? Curious what your thoughts are, I just purchased Durafluxx, Tour Status, Firewire. Strung up the Durafluxx a couple days ago at their recommended tension 52lbs and would like to compare notes.

djNEiGht 06-24-2013 07:52 PM

I've only been hitting with the Triumph. I have sets of each of their polys. Might hybrid them soon but so far on the multi trip right now.