Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Which partner would you rather have in mixed? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459015)

jaybear1909 03-27-2013 03:48 PM

Which partner would you rather have in mixed?

Just for fun, tell me which girl you'd choose to play with and why.

Girl 1: Very consistent baseline game, not a lot of pace but good spin and depth. Balls are kind of loopy. Decent serve, some okay UMPH on the first, second is just placed and low with medium pace. Has a forehand and backhand slice in the bag. Two-handed backhand but no penetration. Can place it well though. Athletic and decent hands at net. Great forehand lob, bad backhand lob (short majority of the time). Good smash. Lefty.

Girl 2: Punishing forehand but not as consistent as girl 1. Balls drive through the court and are low most of the time (not completely flat though, has good spin on the forehand). Places serves well, very low, but not a ton of speed. Two-handed backhand that moves quicker than girl 1, but can't place it as well. Mediocre forehand lob, better backhand lob than girl 1. Good forehand volleys on balls that are shoulder height, lacks on the lower balls. Great backhand volley on balls over net height, again lacks when lower. Good smash. Can't retrieve as many balls as girl 1 can. Doesn't have a forehand or backhand slice - limited to forehand and backhand drive. Righty.

I used to think girl 1 would be the better mixed partner by far because of the retrieval skills and consistency, but after playing with both, assuming they are both on, girl 2 has surprised me. Much harder for opponents to attack her shots and her forehand draws errors / sets me up for a put-away. I consider girl 1 the better singles player, but girl 2 takes the marbles in doubles for me.

How would you choose?

Cindysphinx 03-27-2013 03:51 PM

What level? And how do you play?

polytheist 03-27-2013 03:59 PM

I'll take Girl 1. Depth is my best friend. Spinny depth even better. Lefty is also a bonus.

You don't like Girl 1 because you have to move more.

How's your overhead?

jaybear1909 03-27-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7308185)
What level? And how do you play?

I'd rather not evalulate myself because in my head I'm a lot better than I really am, but I am successful at the 4.0 level in singles, men's doubles and mixed doubles. Can contend (meaning occasional set here or there, and multiple tiebreaks. Have also lost a lot of 6-0 to him though. Have to play my absolute best to have a chance) with a 5.0 singles player (yes, he is a legit 5.0).

I'm a baseliner. Consistent, hard strokes when needed but what I achieve at the baseline, I lack at the net. Not terrible net skills but not anything special. Can put away balls shoulder height easily. Not a great half-volley but I can hit it back where it needs to go usually. The last couple of doubles seasons I have been coming in more successfully. Getting there. Good enough serve, hard flat first and place the second well. I rarely get broken unless I completely lapse.

Play line one for a B4 men's team. Have been asked to play on the A2 men's, and have competed with their best players, but I love my team and we are moving up quickly. We need some more 4.0's though to get into A. (4 4.0s on the team, a few 3.5s and the rest 3.0.)

I hope this was detailed enough.

jaybear1909 03-27-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polytheist (Post 7308204)
I'll take Girl 1. Depth is my best friend. Spinny depth even better. Lefty is also a bonus.

You don't like Girl 1 because you have to move more.

How's your overhead?

No, I love to move :P. 6"4, 180. Good overhead.

I love playing with both girls, but I have noticed that girl 1 gets poached against much easier. I actually have to move a lot more with girl 2 because she isn't as quick as girl 1.

Overdrive 03-27-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear1909 (Post 7308247)
No, I love to move :P. 6"4, 180. Good overhead.

I love playing with both girls, but I have noticed that girl 1 gets poached against much easier. I actually have to move a lot more with girl 2 because she isn't as quick as girl 1.

You just answered your own question..

Cindysphinx 03-27-2013 04:48 PM

Girl 2.

Since you are not a beast at net, she has to hold with minimal help. That means forcing them to hit something defensive that you can attack.

If girl one is consistent but has loopy, poachable shots, I don't see you being able to do much.

LeeD 03-27-2013 04:50 PM

consistency without some power is worthless above 3.5....
of course, some consistency with some power is on the plus side of the ledger.

LeeD 03-27-2013 04:55 PM

Funny thing...
We have this exact situation at SanPablo courts on weekends, out here in rainless California.
Lefty is exactly your example, as is rightie.
Both Hotties.
Lefty is bossie, so I'd rather not play on her team.
Rightie is more tolerant, makes a few more errors and hits a few more forcing shots.
I pick rightie.

Overdrive 03-27-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7308332)
Funny thing...
We have this exact situation at SanPablo courts on weekends, out here in rainless California.
Lefty is exactly your example, as is rightie.
Both Hotties.
Lefty is bossie, so I'd rather not play on her team.
Rightie is more tolerant, makes a few more errors and hits a few more forcing shots.
I pick rightie.

Why am I not surprised by this assertion? :)

LeeD 03-27-2013 05:32 PM

Yaz and Kiteboard can verify.
Lefty is Amy, rightie Diane.
Out of my league, of course.

Overdrive 03-27-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7308433)
Yaz and Kiteboard can verify.
Lefty is Amy, rightie Diane.
Out of my league, of course.

C'mon Lee, you can do it!

LeeD 03-27-2013 05:57 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd have a chance if I wasn't living with a g/f, now for 2 years, who likes to windsurf 5 days a week, ride road bikes (14 lbs Trek carbon's), and provides most of the living expenses.
Those two at the courts are prolly under 30 while I'm 64. G/f's 42nd is on the 30th.

Overdrive 03-27-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7308491)
I'm pretty sure I'd have a chance if I wasn't living with a g/f, now for 2 years, who likes to windsurf 5 days a week, ride road bikes (14 lbs Trek carbon's), and provides most of the living expenses.
Those two at the courts are prolly under 30 while I'm 64. G/f's 42nd is on the 30th.

Oh um.......... :oops:

So what's the present that you're getting for her?

LeeD 03-27-2013 06:04 PM

What indeed?
I'm usually not in the financial position to get anything for anyone, but this time, got a nickel saved up.
What do you give to someone who makes more in a year than I did my ENTIRE life?
Any suggestions?

Overdrive 03-27-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7308503)
What indeed?
I'm usually not in the financial position to get anything for anyone, but this time, got a nickel saved up.
What do you give to someone who makes more in a year than I did my ENTIRE life?
Any suggestions?

You tell me!!

As a man of 64, you should know that the monetary value of an item is meaningless...

:|

tennisdad65 03-27-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear1909 (Post 7308180)
How would you choose?

The hot chick..

LeeD 03-27-2013 06:32 PM

BOTH hotties.
Lefty is taller, maybe 5'6" and 125. Asian, maybe Chinese.
Rightie maybe 5'3" and 125. Philipino, looks like the old No1 for Stanford.
Neither model skinny, but athletes usually aren't.
Both about 4.0 women.

jaybear1909 03-27-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7308302)
You just answered your own question..

Which question? I already know how I'd choose. I'm asking how YOU would choose.

Overdrive 03-27-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear1909 (Post 7308706)
Which question? I already know how I'd choose. I'm asking how YOU would choose.

Neither, because they don't suit my preferences as a partner.