Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   who wins - male 4.0 vs female 5.0 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459127)

luvforty 03-28-2013 04:34 PM

who wins - male 4.0 vs female 5.0

middle of the pack men's 4.0 vs. middle of the pack women's 5.0

none of that rising / falling stuff.

vote away!

results will be calibrated against the fact that there are more more egomaniac men on this forum than there are women (who are usually more reasonable than men).

PureAlph4 03-28-2013 04:48 PM

Are you absolutely sure this has nothing to do with Krumm, or even Bunge for that matter?

Surely this question ends up being analogous to that 'debate,' seeing as the postulation seemed to be that a WTA top 75 pro was around the standard of a male 6.0 / rising 5.5. Regardless, I think we all already know who this thread will really end up being about, and that's what makes it worthwhile...

esgee48 03-28-2013 05:18 PM

Seen the women's team of USF and their opponents out here at GGP. They are hard hitting, hard serving 5.0's (not sure they could beat Cal or Stanford women's teams, which is why I think they're 5.0') Anyway, they would wipe the average 4.0 male pretty easy. Seen men's 5.0 players and they hit harder than these women, but not sure they could beat them from the baseline that easily. However, against 4.0 men, the men would be eating bagels and breadsticks.

Xizel 03-28-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureAlph4 (Post 7311001)
Are you absolutely sure this has nothing to do with Krumm, or even Bunge for that matter?

Surely this question ends up being analogous to that 'debate,' seeing as the postulation seemed to be that a WTA top 75 pro was around the standard of a male 6.0 / rising 5.5. Regardless, I think we all already know who this thread will really end up being about, and that's what makes it worthwhile...

The difference is exponential as the skill level goes up. The ATP tour is very extreme. I'd say 5.0 female.

The Meat 03-28-2013 05:46 PM

Men become dangerous at 5.0 and higher, so do women. Now a 4.0 women and a 3.5 man, that's what's up.

LeeD 03-28-2013 06:16 PM

5.0 woman, if she's a Div11 player, is trained, in shape, get's coaching, is serious.
4.0 man can be a slob like me, out of shape, injured, play occasionally, and won't run for 6+ shot points.

ShoeShiner 03-28-2013 06:39 PM

This is rec vs rec comparison. Not pro vs rec comparison, that is so much different conditions.

LeeD 03-28-2013 06:44 PM

Let's consider....
What it takes to be a 4.0 mens....3 years of tennis, a little athletics, good hand eye coodination, some movement...
What it took to make 5.0 womens....5 years of tennis, at least 3 competitive, lots of tourneys, lots of tourney wins, a whole bucketLOAD of male players hoping to hit with her, free coaching, availible hitting partners at a moment's notice.
Who wins?

dennis10is 03-28-2013 07:49 PM

The average male, slight overweight is superior in every athletic category compared to women.

The fast women in the world is no match for the average man. The average man can pole vault, swim across the English channel faster than the best woman. Any man can complete the marathon faster than the fastest woman.

This is obvious, why are well discussing this?

NLBwell 03-28-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis10is (Post 7311326)
The average male, slight overweight is superior in every athletic category compared to women.

The fast women in the world is no match for the average man. The average man can pole vault, swim across the English channel faster than the best woman. Any man can complete the marathon faster than the fastest woman.

Actually, in very long distance swimming, women often do better.

TomT 03-28-2013 09:40 PM

I voted for the 4.0 male, but really I have no idea. It's an objectively testable question ... and an interesting one, imho.

TomT 03-28-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis10is (Post 7311326)

Hey Dennis! How's it going? What you say is true, but it's an open question because we're considering a 4.0 male vs a 5.0 female. I have no idea what the outcome would be, but would love to see such a match played (and, of course, recorded on video). I'm going to see what I can do to make something like this happen around here. Probably will be more like a 3.5 male against a 4.0 to 4.5 female, as I don't know any 5.0 women yet.

Interestingly, I, a 3.0 male, lost the only match I've had against a female. She's 35 years younger than me, has a 3.5 woman's NTRP-based rating, and played college tennis.

onehandbh 03-28-2013 10:06 PM

A couple years ago I saw a TW poster play a match against a 5.0 woman.
The TW poster was faster, had a bigger forehand and serve, more spin
but worse placement, worse backhand, worse placement, worse mental game,
less competitive, high pressure experience.

He hit several winners but she pushed him around the court and her
serve placement neutralized him. She won the first set 7-5 and then he
gave up/defaulted because he was frustrated, ****ed, and worn out from
being run around the court. I think she had some college tennis and
tournament experience. The guy? park tennis and USTA 4.0 league.

TomT 03-28-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xizel (Post 7311066)
The difference is exponential as the skill level goes up. The ATP tour is very extreme. I'd say 5.0 female.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7311507)
A couple years ago I saw a TW poster play a match against a 5.0 woman.
The TW poster was faster, had a bigger forehand and serve, more spin
but worse placement, worse backhand, worse placement, worse mental game,
less competitive, high pressure experience.

He hit several winners but she pushed him around the court and her
serve placement neutralized him. She won the first set 7-5 and then he
gave up/defaulted because he was frustrated, ****ed, and worn out from
being run around the court. I think she had some college tennis and
tournament experience. The guy? park tennis and USTA 4.0 league.

Interesting. The more I think about this, the more I want to change my vote.

Relinquis 03-28-2013 11:00 PM

surely someone could test this?!

if i were a betting man, i'd put my money on the 5.0 woman. there will be much more pressure on the guy and at the rec level players can't handle pressure.

onehandbh 03-28-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7311553)
surely someone could test this?!

if i were a betting man, i'd put my money on the 5.0 woman. there will be much more pressure on the guy and at the rec level players can't handle pressure.

It already happened. I saw a 4.0 TW poster play a 5.0 woman a couple years
ago. 5-7, default.

(see my post above for details)

Hi I'm Ray 03-28-2013 11:35 PM

A 4.0 guy can hit with some pretty speed and pace but I don't think they have the consistency, placement, or mental game to win against a 5.0 woman.

Govnor 03-29-2013 04:40 AM

I think the woman wins most times. I've been in a similar situation myself, playing a very good junior that is probably a 5.0 woman. They are just so consistent. You have to totally junk up the match to have a chance (as a 4.0).

J_R_B 03-29-2013 05:08 AM

I am a fairly high 4.0 man. I haven't played a match against 5.0 women, but I am in a drill session where the pro brings his daughter sometimes. She is like 15, top 10 in sectional ranking, and placed 3rd (?) in the high school state singles tounament, so I'm guessing that translates to about a 5.0 rating for adults. If we played a match, I'm guessing she would beat me, but not a complete blow out. Our regular strokes were comparable, but her finishing shots and movement/footwork were much better than mine. I think I served slightly better.

The Meat 03-29-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7311491)
Interestingly, I, a 3.0 male, lost the only match I've had against a female. She's 35 years younger than me, has a 3.5 woman's NTRP-based rating, and played college tennis.

What was the scoreline?