Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Time for Agnieszka Radwanska to change game to challenge top 3 players. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459150)

Amelie Mauresmo 03-28-2013 10:48 PM

Time for Agnieszka Radwanska to change game to challenge top 3 players.

I am tired of seeing Agnieszka Radwanska constantly lose to Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka, and Maria Sharapova. Radwanska I believe is a breath of fresh air to women's tennis she is a woman who uses variety to win matches and strategy instead of power.

But Agnieszka has hit a road block and I won't deny it and I am certain she knows it too. But Agnieszka should have faith Justine Henin is smaller than her YET she was able to challenge Serena Williams and the power players. And I think Agnieszka should mayhe talk to Carlos Rodriguez Justine's former coach or to Justine Henin herself. Because she's too talented to be constantly getting knocked off the court.

She is a very smart young woman, when her father Robert Radwanski was putting too much pressure on her and insulted her at the 2011 French Open she fired him.

It was brave of Agnieszka to tell her father to back off, that she didn't want him travelling with her and being her coach on tour and it worked.

She gets along with her dad better now that he's in the background.

Agnieszka's career dramatically changed she zoomed into the top 5, reached the Wimbledon final last year and almost reached number one.

But now, in order for Agnieszka Radwanska to win a grand slam title and become the best she is going to have to make some changes in her game.

However, it appears Agnieszka just gets overpowered by the top 3. I think Agnieszka can probably beat Sharapova more she did beat her in the Miami final last year.

Something needs to change for Agnieszka if she wants to win a grand slam title and I believe she can.

But it has got to be so frustrating to lose the SAME THREE PLAYERS all the damn time in the semifinals or finals of events.

She's better than the rest, now the top 3 are obviously very powerful and consistent players. But, I think Agnieszka needs to maybe talk to Justine Henin she wasn't a big tall woman BUT she was able to use her variety to challenge the Williams Sisters, Davenport, and Capriati to reach the top of the game.

Agnieszka has the variety which is good but I think she needs more penetration on her shots. She can flatten out the forehand but I think she needs to make her forehand a weapon. She needs a big shot I believe to challenge the top 3.

However, these records need to change Agnieszka is 0-5 against Serena Williams 2-8 against Sharapova and 3-11 against Azarenka.

Agnieszka has improved her first serve but I think it needs to get even better she isn't that small she's about five feet 8 but she's very slight.

The second serve needs to improve it is too slow she can't be serving 70 to 80 second serves and expect to bother Serena Williams.

The forehand has improved to a certain extent and she volleys very well and moves very well.

However, I think Agnieszka is going to have to take some risks when plays the top 3 she will need to start attacking their second serves more and using her backhand more to become a weapon.

firepanda 03-29-2013 12:14 AM

Henin's coach is taken. :/ Rodriguez is coaching Li Na, with noticeable improvement. I do agree with what you're saying though.

Relinquis 03-29-2013 12:56 AM

the occasional drop shot works against Williams & co. as would coming to the net after a good, low slice, i.e. all court tennis is how you beat a strong baseliner.

maybe try to make her serve less attackable, especially against Williams. Maybe more action/spin, place it out-wide or just variety in serves.

I don't think trying to out-hit the big hitters is the right solution. She's better off trying to take the ball early, or neutralising it with slice and court positioning. if she gets a short ball she can rip a winner just to show that she's not intimidated.

SassyRamirez 03-29-2013 02:07 AM

I don't know what to say, Radwanska is no Henin.

I'm not sure what she can do.

beast of mallorca 03-29-2013 02:12 AM

Radwanska is the David Ferrer of the WTA. She's The Gate Keeper

slowfox 03-29-2013 05:48 AM

I say forget developing more power to match the top 3. If she could have, she would have by now. Perhaps she should go the other direction and be more like a Santoro-type player. Dish out the major junk and frustrate the heck outta her opponents.

I'm a big fan of Aga (or is it Aggie for nickname?). Enjoy watching her matches a lot.

ollinger 03-29-2013 06:05 AM

She needs more power, she needs more penetration, she needs a better second serve....she needs to be someone else.

SassyRamirez 03-29-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7311828)
She needs more power, she needs more penetration, she needs a better second serve....she needs to be someone else.

Pretty much. :lol:

krz 03-29-2013 06:48 AM

The ONLY similarities between Henin and Aggie are their size and maybe the variety.

Henin had all the advantages of being a smaller player (defense, speed, quickness, nimble) but, in addition she had what no other small player had. Power, she could blow players off court and she could trade ground strokes with Serena/Sharapova.

I think Aggie is basically doomed from that standpoint. She may be able to gain a little power but, never enough to truly hang in and bash with the big girls. She's way more Hingis than Henin, she's going to have to find a different way to beat them, trying to match their power is just not going to happen.

AtomicForehand 03-29-2013 06:54 AM

I agree with OP. I think Aga's game is a thing of beauty, and she's just delightful to watch...unless she's getting blown off the court like in last night's match against Serena. Although I am also a Serena fan, I just hated seeing Aga getting beaten down like that last night. It would be great if she could weaponize her serve, especially. It was dispiriting to see Serena step in and crush winners off of the serve. Last night's match almost felt like a big bully stomping all over a delicate china doll. :(

Nostradamus 03-29-2013 07:42 AM

LOL. Aggie is not serving 70 mph because she wants to. it is cause she can't serve harder if she wanted to, if she goes for 90 mph 2nd serves she will double fault 20 times per match and that is BAD.

and she really can't take that much more risk without hitting the ball harder. she has reached her Max potential.

bluetrain4 03-29-2013 07:44 AM

The problem is that Radwa needs to be in position to use her variety, and if Serena or Azarenaka or Sharapova are on fire, and all Radwa can do is get the ball back, all the variety in world isn't going to matter. Sure, she'll have some moments, but overall, as we saw last night, it's not going to make a difference, if her opponent is that "on". I don't think Radwa was purposefully not trying to utilize variety last night. It's just that she was overwhelmed and was never really in position to dictate what she wanted to do.

THUNDERVOLLEY 03-29-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 7312029)
all the variety in world isn't going to matter. Sure, she'll have some moments, but overall, as we saw last night, it's not going to make a difference, if her opponent is that "on".

Key points, but I must add that everyone tosses "variety" in as if it is something alien to the rest of the field. Serena not only played well against the allegedly variety-strong Henin, but she's a world class doubles player, which means she understands the entire court--the opposite of a baseline basher stereotype. With that in mind, Radwanska's "variety" is not the "end all. be all" super weapon of confusion her biggest supporters believe it to be.

AR is not as talented in that department as a Hingis, and Hingis herself could not run away with matches against the so-called bashers, or Williams in particular, so I would never place too much value in Radwanska's skill--such as it is--as the answer to cracking the top 3.

She's not on the court sense level of--for one example--Navratilova.

Fifth Set 03-29-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7312024)
LOL. Aggie is not serving 70 mph because she wants to. it is cause she can't serve harder if she wanted to, if she goes for 90 mph 2nd serves she will double fault 20 times per match and that is BAD.

and she really can't take that much more risk without hitting the ball harder. she has reached her Max potential.

+1

These pros learn new tricks better than us weekend warriors do but they can't just reinvent themselves.

Aga has added a bit more power to her game lately but she is still miles behind Serena.

monfed 03-29-2013 08:56 AM

Well Radwanska can only do so much with her womanly physiche. :-?

slowfox 03-29-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 7311921)
she's going to have to find a different way to beat them, trying to match their power is just not going to happen.

I say again, she's gotta go "full Santoro". She can be the magician's assistant...:)

spinovic 03-29-2013 09:10 AM

I don't think Radwanska should change anything. She can certainly try to add some pop to her shots, but it isn't going to be enough to catch the top women, nor is trying to play that way going to get here anywhere against them.

IMO, she just has to play her game, the game that has got her to #4 in the world and see what happens. When the top 3 are on their game, Radwanska, nor anyone else, beats them.

If she keeps knocking on the door, I think she'll get a slam title at some point. But, if she tries to change her game because of a bad record against 3 women who pretty much beat up on the field, I think it is less likely to happen because she still won't beat them and she probably won't be as good as she is now.

ShoeShiner 03-29-2013 09:43 AM

WTA seems like ATP, top 4 + 1 pusher.
Vika, Maria, Serena, Kvitova + Radwanska ==> Nole, Fed, Nadal, Murray + Ferrer

What should Ferrer do to beat top 4?

NadalAgassi 03-29-2013 10:34 AM

Even with a variety game you need ample power to win in todays womens game. Henin is a good example as at her best her power was only a single notch below the biggest power players like Serena, Sharapova, etc....which allowed her to win over those with her overall game and variety, as well as power. Radwanska's is about 6 levels below which is just too much.

The-Champ 03-29-2013 10:51 AM

I didn't see the thrashing but after reading what Radwanska had to say about the match, it seems Queen Serena is playing at a respectable level again:

"When Serena's playing like that, it really doesn't even matter who's on the other side of the net."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...-breaks-record