Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   serve - throwing or hitting? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459163)

luvforty 03-29-2013 05:32 AM

serve - throwing or hitting?

genuine technical discussion... please take a few minutes to watch this thru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oZmH03cmMw

imo the tennis serve is similar in so many ways, leg loads, torso loads, shoulder rotation, protation etc, as well as the firing sequence.

so the pure 'swinging action' is out, due to the weight shift from the trophy to the finish.

'throwing' is quite often used as an analogy for the serve.... shift-turn-shift-turn action.

my question is - is 'hitting' legit in serve? is the arm supposed to be completely passive? is it legit to thrust the arm, especially the forearm wrist extension-flexion action to add speed?

LeeD 03-29-2013 11:20 AM

Just copy the server you like, forget the how's and why's, and post a vid.

SystemicAnomaly 03-29-2013 12:14 PM

Not yet watched the video but I do have some valid input on this. The serve is very much a "throwing motion" but is not quite like throwing a ball. I throw much better with my right hand/arm. However, my lefty serve is much better than my righty serve even though my left-handed ball throw feels very awkward. I have come across quite a few players who naturally throw with one arm but serve with the opposite arm.

luvforty 03-29-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7312667)

coach Lee - have you heard of the phrase -

what it looks like is not what it feels like;
what it feels like is not what it looks like.

you can't just look at something and copy..... otherwise everybody would be roger federer.

LeeD 03-29-2013 12:59 PM

Don't matter what it "feels" like.
What matters is how good the ball goes, whether you can do it over and over, and whether it's accurate enough, and fast enough, to get the job done.

SystemicAnomaly 03-29-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7312874)
you can't just look at something and copy..... otherwise everybody would be roger federer.

Not so. Many can do it, many cannot. Young kids often learn by copying or by copying with moderate guidance. Some adults can still do this but it seems that many have lost this ability -- quite often: paralysis by analysis. I've been able to pick up quite a bit by copying. Don't always get all the nuances though. I am not Roger Federer because I do not have innate abilities. Also did not get his level of training to develop the finer aspects to his game.

Relinquis 03-29-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

I agree with the honourable gentleman.

arche3 03-30-2013 04:21 AM

Luv40 is so clueless, let's watch a golf video and learn tennis. Maybe we can watch a tennis video? Its not the same dumbo. Serve is both throwing and hitting.

Dozu in his head, " er,... Duh, how do i serve? Is it a throwing or hitting golf swing? Golf is more tennis than tennis. I think it is because I hit all my shots standing still like golf. Because I play only old retirees and mainly I only drop feed balls because noone will actually play with me. Its exactly looks golf, let me asks da ttw peeps to show my skilz"

arche3 03-30-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

He will never do so. He is afraid

luvforty 03-30-2013 05:22 AM

picture is posted in the 'falling into pieces' thread.

SystemicAnomaly 03-30-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7314132)
Luv40 is so clueless, let's watch a golf video and learn tennis. Maybe we can watch a tennis video? Its not the same dumbo. Serve is both throwing and hitting...

Keep a civil tongue in thy head, knave. Do we really need these types of responses? I think not.

arche3 03-30-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7314744)
Keep a civil tongue in thy head, knave. Do we really need these types of responses? I think not.

Your obviously not up to speed. :D

WildVolley 03-30-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Excellent post by LeeD.

What you "feel" isn't necessarily what you are doing. Rather than getting sidetracked into what you "feel", spend some time to adopt the correct movement patterns.

Use video to confirm and adjust your movement patterns to the model you are using and then you can focus on what the correct movement patterns "feel" like.

As to the original question, I'm not sure if the hitting model applies. When I'm hitting the hardest serves, I don't have a conscious notion of "hitting" but instead it feels relaxed. Now, this obviously isn't true, in the sense that muscles are tensing very rapidly, but it seems more like cracking a whip than muscling into a ball.

SystemicAnomaly 03-30-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7314789)
Your obviously not up to speed. :D

Do not know your history or relationship with the OP. But the query is valid.

arche3 03-30-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7314849)
Do not know your history or relationship with the OP. But the query is valid.

Yeah dozu and I just troll each other all the time.