Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   tecnifibre ruff code feedback (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459241)

Ennismt 03-29-2013 07:58 PM

tecnifibre ruff code feedback

Any experience and feedback from TW staff regarding ruff code?

Seth 03-31-2013 04:13 AM

It has been extremely popular with the canine persuasion.

TW Staff 04-01-2013 02:08 PM

I've hit it quite a lot and really like it. It pockets the ball well, offers very good spin and is not overly stiff -- for a co-poly, it is decently comfortable. Spin and control are the two best attributes for me and I'd feel comfortable playing a tournament with it in my racquets.

@Seth,
My dog is more of a natural gut man.

Chris, TW

Ennismt 04-02-2013 05:19 AM

Thanks, Chris. Any thoughts on what strings are comparable to ruff code and where it fits in the technifibre line of strings in terms of playing characteristics?

TW Staff 04-02-2013 09:45 AM

For me, it is not quite as dead and controlled feeling as Black Code, is softer and pockets the ball better than both Red Code and Poly Code. I think it plays between Red Code and Razor Code. Razor Code pockets the ball a tad better.

Kirschbaum Pro Line Evolution, Signum Hyperion and Super Smash Spiky would be viable alternatives.

If you wanted something softer and more forgiving, Volkl Cyclone would be a good choice.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW.

Ennismt 04-03-2013 04:58 AM

Thanks again Chris, last question:

Comparing Ruff Code to Razor Code, which would you say is softer, has more spin potential and has longer playability (i know largely subjective), and do you think the differences in these are significant?

FYI, I've played Black Code for a while and recently played with Ruff Code. I am looking at the discount price on Razor Code so I am considering buying it.

TW Staff 04-05-2013 03:29 PM

Let me hit some Ruff Code and Razor Code side by side next week and I can give you some solid feedback.

Chris, TW

Ennismt 04-05-2013 04:55 PM

Very cool, Chris. It will be very interesting to see what you think of razor code compared to ruff code, as well as your comparison to the many other strings you have tried. My comparison of black code (my current string) and ruff code is as follows:

spin: better with ruff code by a small amount. i was hooking forehands around my opponent at the net. not sure i ever did this as much with black code. serving was equally effective. I have gotten more spin with tour bite but I don't want that much spin (well most of the time i don't).

comfort: about equal, just a different feel. black code is more dead feeling. great touch and comfort with both strings. black code becomes more stiff feeling and uncomfortable too soon. a comfortable string is important to me so I lean towards softer polys. to me black code has more control.

playability duration: ruff code significantly longer. not sure this is tension maintenance, but ruff code seems to maintain comfort and elasticity significantly longer. I'd say I like the play of black code for 6-8 hours whereas ruff code has been playing well for about 10 hours (the longest I've experienced after many poly tests). This is the primary reason I am preferring ruff code at the moment. combining comfort and long lasting play has been difficult to find, but ruff code seems to be better than others i have tried, though I have only tried one set of ruff code.

After many trials, I am liking the tecnifibre line because of the quality, consistent and relatively long lasting play. I am also considering trying luxilon alu power, kirschbaum pro line, and head sonic pro series strings. However, I am tiring of the testing (mostly budget type strings) and would just like to settle on a reel. I do keep wondering about lux alu power rough...

this comparison is with APD 2013s both strung at 48 lbs (lockout). both strings are 17g. I am a 4.5 player.

TW Staff 04-08-2013 09:50 AM

Jonathan was kind enough to install a set of each (razor/ruff) in two Slaz Pro Braideds and I'll be hitting them against Spencer at lunch. I'm also testing some Signum Firestrom in an Organix 7 and in another custom racquet I have, so it should be a fun hit.

Chris, TW

TW Staff 04-08-2013 01:40 PM

I found the Razor Code to play noticeably softer. It pockets the ball more and feels more forgiving. Ruff Code is a firm and crisp playing string -- something I like. I felt very connected to where my shots were going with it, but it is not as forgiving off center as Razor Code.

If you want a bit more juice, ball pocketing and comfort, Razor Code is the way to go. If you like a firmer, crisper response, Ruff Code is the better option. Ruff Code is much closer to Black Code, whereas with Razor Code you are moving towards the realm of softer co-polys.
Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

Ennismt 04-08-2013 02:22 PM

Thanks! How would you compare the spin? Is razor code dead feeling like black code? what gauge did you use?

TW Staff 04-08-2013 03:05 PM

I used 1.25 and the Razor Code is livelier than Black Code. Ruff Code is deader for me and closer to how I remember Black Code playing. I imagine their stiffness ratings would be fairly close.

I found great spin from both. Ruff Code grabs the ball very well, yet so does Razor Code partly due to its better ball pocketing. At first I felt more at home swinging very aggressively with Ruff Code due to its deader response, but it only took me a couple of swings to trust the softer response of Razor Code. I get very good spin from both, they just feel different when hitting.
Chris, TW

Murray_fan1 04-08-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7332003)
Jonathan was kind enough to install a set of each (razor/ruff) in two Slaz Pro Braideds and I'll be hitting them against Spencer at lunch. I'm also testing some Signum Firestrom in an Organix 7 and in another custom racquet I have, so it should be a fun hit.

Chris, TW

Hi Chris,

How did you like Firestorm?

Ennismt 04-09-2013 06:22 AM

Thanks for the input. Invaluable. I will purchase a few sets of razor code and see what the play duration is compared to ruff code. I like the feedback on razor's feel, its what I am looking for.

TW Staff 04-09-2013 10:07 AM

Firestorm has some pop to it. Took me a little bit to get the control I expect from a poly. Once adjusted, I was hitting well, but still had the ball fly on me here and there. I prefer polys that let me swing out without fear of over hitting, so will be playing with tension choice and different racquets to see how it works out.

Chris, TW