Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Murray similar to Lendl? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459271)

Fiji 03-30-2013 09:17 AM

Murray similar to Lendl?
 
Murray will very likely be ranked #2 at RG... That makes the draw interesting. We could potentially see Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Del Potro in the same half while Murray ends up with Ferrer in his half and also Tsonga and Berdych. Imagine Murray reaching the RG final this year? Wow.

Murray is following Lendl's career trajectory at slam finals.

Lendl lost his first 4 slam finals.
Then won his first slam.
Then lost his next 2 slam finals.
Then he won his next 2 slam finals.

Murray lost his first 4 slam finals.
Then won his first slam.
Then loses his next 2 slam finals, AO and RG this year?
Then he wins his next 2 slam finals?

norbac 03-30-2013 09:21 AM

No, Murray will win RG.

MonkeyBoy 03-30-2013 09:24 AM

Losing the RG final this year is something I can live with knowing he'll take both Wimby and the uso, and will have made 6 consecutive GS finals and counting.

But if he wins RG he seriously has a chance at the FYGS

Terenigma 03-30-2013 10:34 AM

I dont think anyone realistically expects Murray to do well at RG which i think bodes really well for him. He can just enjoy the run he has, Nadal and Djokovic are expected to win it so i think the lower ranked players will be more keen to try and take one of them out early plus the press will put huge pressure on them to do well too.

Also if you look at some old pictures of lendl and his open mouthed "roar" you cant help but see simularitys to Murray's screams. So yeah i think they are very similar:


wilson_nxt 03-30-2013 11:09 AM

Good comparison, play wise I think Murray is the modern Mecir!

Relinquis 03-30-2013 12:28 PM

you guys making Roland Garros predictions for various players are missing something, factor that could change things up big time...


Gulbis!


Also, it's pretty clear that Murray is trying to emulate Lendl... did you guys see the "eye-up/stare-at him" signal Lendl gave Murray during his match against Gasquet?

Elite 03-30-2013 01:38 PM

I can not even see Murray making the RG final, so no.

NEW_BORN 03-30-2013 02:37 PM

History does and will repeat itself.

Murray who's made the final of the last 3 slams has just as much a chance of making the RG final as any of the other usual suspects.

jaggy 03-30-2013 03:32 PM

Wimbly is what I want most for him, well after Cincy anyway

monfed 03-30-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilson_nxt (Post 7314720)
Good comparison, play wise I think Murray is the modern Mecir!

Was Mecir a pusher,too?

borg number one 03-30-2013 04:01 PM

There are many similarities between the two, but Lendl had a better forehand for starters. Later in his career, having been through the gauntlet of Borg, McEnroe and Connors, you bet he was much tougher mentally. That's a tough trio to face off against during your career, and then there was Becker, Edberg, Wilander, etc. Murray will really have to kick into another gear to match the career that Ivan Landl had. Yet, I do think that Murray may win a Wimbledon title and perhaps a few more majors.

Bobby Jr 03-30-2013 04:09 PM

Murray is not like Lendl in his mindset - Lendl had the killer instinct and always aimed to dominate his opponents with consistency and pace but he always went for the kill when an opening arose.

Murray does not aim to dominate his opponents anything like Lendl did. He's way more reactive in his play most of the time.

sbengte 03-30-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiji (Post 7314502)
Murray will very likely be ranked #2 at RG... That makes the draw interesting. We could potentially see Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Del Potro in the same half while Murray ends up with Ferrer in his half and also Tsonga and Berdych. Imagine Murray reaching the RG final this year? Wow.

It is more likely that we will see Nadal-Fed-Murray or Nadal-Ferrer-Murray in the same half. One thing I am really sure of after observing the draw patterns is that Nadal-Djok will never be in the same quarter or same half if Nadal is ranked #5.

sbengte 03-30-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terenigma (Post 7314653)
Also if you look at some old pictures of lendl and his open mouthed "roar" you cant help but see simularitys to Murray's screams. So yeah i think they are very similar:

Don't know about the roar but a couple of years ago (way before Lendl became Murray's coach and when Murray was on a slam final losing spree), I had posted that Murray's career is reminiscent of Lendl's career and Murray might go on to become a multiple slam winner like Lendl. I had also found a childhood clip of Lendl where he eerily looks like Murray as a kid :) Unfortunately that clip is now missing from youtube.

Elite 03-30-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbengte (Post 7315634)
Unfortunately that clip is now missing from youtube.

Must be a conspiracy.

abmk 03-30-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borg number one (Post 7315147)
There are many similarities between the two, but Lendl had a better forehand for starters. Later in his career, having been through the gauntlet of Borg, McEnroe and Connors, you bet he was much tougher mentally. That's a tough trio to face off against during your career, and then there was Becker, Edberg, Wilander, etc. Murray will really have to kick into another gear to match the career that Ivan Landl had. Yet, I do think that Murray may win a Wimbledon title and perhaps a few more majors.

well, murray didn't have it easy either having to face off vs fed/nadal/djoker ....

lendl was mentally stronger, but that was more due to lendl himself rather than whom he faced ....

batz 03-31-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7315115)
Was Mecir a pusher,too?

Yep - and he also beat Federer 11 times. True story.

JRAJ1988 03-31-2013 12:38 AM

Pushers don't beat Federer...you have to be aggressive and go for winners vs a player of Rogers caliber.

PhrygianDominant 03-31-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRAJ1988 (Post 7315686)
Pushers don't beat Federer...you have to be aggressive and go for winners vs a player of Rogers caliber.

yes they do

PhilStar! 03-31-2013 01:29 AM

Murray is very similar to Mecir (who also won a Gold medal and like Murray, played in a tough era). They both are around 6'3 and Mecir had the best footwork and movement for a guy his height. Hence, this nickname "The Big Cat".

I don't think Murray or Mecir are "pushers". They play a more controlled and consistent baseline game. You don't get to number 3 or 4 in the world by accident.

I agree, I think Murray will lose RG but will win Wimby or US Open, if not this year then eventually. Don't think he'll win 8 like Lendl did but he'll win some more slams before his career is over. The field is just not that deep with only Nadal and Djokovic as his main obstacles.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse