Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   First Time Out This Spring (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459308)

vandre 03-30-2013 04:18 PM

First Time Out This Spring

This is a poll for those of us who've taken the Winter off to post their thoughts on the first hit of the Spring.

In case anyone cares, i hit the courts yesterday and it started off at U-G-L-Y but progressed to meh before we left.

struggle 03-30-2013 05:32 PM

my game is like a box of chocolates.

usually, as long as they don't melt, i'm ok.

plus, there's always beer.

gmatheis 03-30-2013 06:11 PM

move to a warmer climate where you don't have to take the winter off :)

mikeler 03-30-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7315264)
move to a warmer climate where you don't have to take the winter off :)

To quote Daniel Tosh: "I couldn't live here I love seasons too much" says the northerner. "Me too, that why I live in a place that skips the crappy (changed word) ones"

hittman10 03-30-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7315404)
To quote Daniel Tosh: "I couldn't live here I love seasons too much" says the northerner. "Me too, that why I live in a place that skips the crappy (changed word) ones"

Amen, Florida's where it's at

VeeSe 03-30-2013 08:25 PM

I live in Virginia but I didn't take the winter off either. My club has free indoor and outdoor court reservations (no additional court fee on top of membership dues, just have to call in to get courts), so I've been playing through the winter. Had to cut down to 2x a week because of availability and training for a 10k, but it's still way better than nothing. I actually continued to improve a lot throughout the winter. Not close to how much if I would have played 4-5x a week, but not close to staying still either.

dak95_00 03-30-2013 09:48 PM

I get burned out and lose interest if I play too much. I like taking a few months off to refresh and start new. It usually just takes a few hits to gain the timing but I get to forget the bad habits I pick up too.

Last season, I spent most of the time working on developing fundamentals. I realized after playing for nearly 20 years w/ time off in between that I'd basically just depended upon my athleticism to be a good player but I'd struggle in tough situations because of unreliable shots under pressure. This was completely opposite of the way I was in either golf or basketball and knew it was my (lack of) fundamentals that were holding me back. I'm already back to where I was last season after only getting out four times and I might be better in some aspects already.

I can go more than a year in either golf or basketball and score the same in golf (near par) and still make many shots in basketball.

SwankPeRFection 03-31-2013 09:08 PM

Didn't have to take the winter off. ;)

SpitFire 04-01-2013 12:46 PM

Take the winter off? I'm in Texas. I'm not familiar with this word "Winter"...

roman40 04-01-2013 02:15 PM

I think the key to starting out after a long break is to avoid match play like fire, and focus on drills and getting your strokes/timing/footwork calibrated to where you're feeling like your old-self again. Find someone who doesn't mind real practice. Taking a few lessons is really helpful, focusing on footwork/timing and anticipation, rather than technique improvements or strategy. Otherwise, you risk establishing some bad habits, and extending your ramp-up period.