Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Oldest racket on tour (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459647)

OHBH 04-02-2013 09:24 PM

Oldest racket on tour

Out of all the paintjobs and cover ups on the tour these days, which pro player is currently using the oldest and most outdated racket? I know Rajeev Ram was using the Wilson prostaff 85 for awhile but not anymore. Are there any pre-2000 rackets on tour these days? just curious.

darklore009 04-02-2013 09:33 PM

i was thinking about federer's old prostaff tour 90.

BreakPoint 04-02-2013 09:58 PM

I'd bet there are some pros still using the POG underneath their paintjobs, which dates back to circa 1979.

dr325i 04-03-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7321986)
I'd bet there are some pros still using the POG underneath their paintjobs, which dates back to circa 1979.

That is 34 year old racket.
Assuming the Pro started playing at the age of 5 -- do we really see any 40-year old pros (or "some of them")?

Pros usually use the racket they feel comfortable playing with, not the one their favorite player uses...

TfReAk 04-03-2013 04:39 AM

Rochus (some prince tour) and Malisse (diablo) are using "old" non-paintjob rackets. There are a few who use the prestige classic I think.

MAXXply 04-03-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7321986)

:)Are you being facetious? Has anyone else seen the racket, with its trademark stabilizer crossbar on the current ATP/WTA Tours?
Is the frame imbued with a Doctor Who-style Chameleon circuit that cloaks the crossbar, blending it into its surroundings to make it look like, say, a Pure Drive?

Maybe Xavier Malisse or Olivier Rochus with their Princes? Is the crossbar being Chameleonized in their cases?

Mister drool 04-03-2013 04:42 AM

Olivier Rochus plays with that prince I think...

Mister drool 04-03-2013 04:48 AM

Not a case of old racquet user, but i find this one an interesting example for us all:

Lukas Dlouhy uses a sub 10 ounces frame (pacific x force lite) and is still a current top 50 doubles at age 29.

Just a fun fact

vsbabolat 04-03-2013 04:56 AM

vsbabolat 04-03-2013 05:02 AM

MAXXply 04-03-2013 05:06 AM

Hey VSBabolat (or anyone else)

Is the pro stock process/procedure for not-so-famous pros like Haase simply a matter of the player meeting say, the HEAD Pro Room guy, having coffee and discussing Robin's frame needs?

Or is it a much more extensive and convoluted process involving Haase's agent/management, multi-session bespoke fittings involving lots of HEAD technicians?

Relinquis 04-03-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7322217)
:)Are you being facetious? Has anyone else seen the racket, with its trademark stabilizer crossbar on the current ATP/WTA Tours?
Is the frame imbued with a Doctor Who-style Chameleon circuit that cloaks the crossbar, blending it into its surroundings to make it look like, say, a Pure Drive?

Maybe Xavier Malisse or Olivier Rochus with their Princes? Is the crossbar being Chameleonized in their cases?

What is a "Dr. Who"?

MAXXply 04-03-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7322295)
What is a "Dr. Who"?

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...44697112,d.aGc

McLovin 04-03-2013 05:40 AM

Baghdatis' frame dates back to the early 90s as the Fischer VT 98 was used by Kafelnikov. Not sure which model Baghdatis uses, though.

Dave M 04-03-2013 11:38 AM

What about anyone using a pre cortex pure drive?

BreakPoint 04-03-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7322196)
That is 34 year old racket.
Assuming the Pro started playing at the age of 5 -- do we really see any 40-year old pros (or "some of them")?

Pros usually use the racket they feel comfortable playing with, not the one their favorite player uses...

Are you suggesting that no pro would be comfortable playing with a POG?
Why does a pro need to be 40 years old to play with the POG? :confused: Why can't a 25 year-old pro use it? The POG has been available throughout the past 34 years so anyone could have started using it at anytime during those 34 years. Why does a pro have to have started using a racquet when it first came out? Most pros use older racquets and not the latest racquet that comes out. There are/were some pros who used the PC600 or PT630 underneath their paintjobs and those racquets first came out before they were born or when they were very young so it wasn't their first racquet but they switched to it later on. There's no reason a pro can't switch to a racquet that's been available for many years as long as they can still get them. Heck, even Sampras didn't switch to the PS 6.0 85 until many years after it came out.

sureshs 04-03-2013 12:02 PM

Wasn't Spadea using a POG?

BreakPoint 04-03-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7322217)

Nope, not "chameleonized" at all.

Here's Rochus from 2012:

Looks like he's still using the old TT Graphite paintjob over his POG or Chang Graphite (which is essentially an extended length POG).

vsbabolat 04-03-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7323007)
Are you suggesting that no pro would be comfortable playing with a POG?
Why does a pro need to be 40 years old to play with the POG? :confused: Why can't a 25 year-old pro use it? The POG has been available throughout the past 34 years so anyone could have started using it at anytime during those 34 years. Why does a pro have to have started using a racquet when it first came out? Most pros use older racquets and not the latest racquet that comes out. There are/were some pros who used the PC600 or PT630 underneath their paintjobs and those racquets first came out before they were born or when they were very young so it wasn't their first racquet but they switched to it later on. There's no reason a pro can't switch to a racquet that's been available for many years as long as they can still get them. Heck, even Sampras didn't switch to the PS 6.0 85 until many years after it came out.

To my knowledge nobody in the top 200 currently is using a POG.

cluckcluck 04-03-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TfReAk (Post 7322216)
Rochus (some prince tour) and Malisse (diablo) are using "old" non-paintjob rackets. There are a few who use the prestige classic I think.

Philippoussis uses the PC600 without a doubt.