Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Does Anyone Live In Newport Beach, CA? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=459824)

Overdrive 04-04-2013 08:52 PM

Does Anyone Live In Newport Beach, CA?

How's the city, weather, and life like?

I was planning to visit a lesser-known city in California before it forms into an inland in a few decades. :p

Also, anyone living around the area can post here as well.

sureshs 04-05-2013 06:30 AM

I used to live in Irvine and Tustin, and work in Newport Beach. Typical Orange County lifestyle with beaches and sunshine. Lots of affluent people there and hence some financial institutions and big home prices. Huge mall in Fashion Island where I once saw Lindsay Davenport (she lives in NB). There is a quaint little island nearby - Balboa Island I think it is, and an annual boat festival in the bay. John Wayne/Santa Ana airport is next door. Laguna Beach is nearby and is a very unique artsy place. I used to play in the Racquet Club of Irvine which has clay courts.

Basically, it is the affluent part of OC before it becomes Costa Mesa and Anaheim and slowly succumbs to the LA pressure.

Overdrive 04-05-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7326283)
I used to live in Irvine and Tustin, and work in Newport Beach. Typical Orange County lifestyle with beaches and sunshine. Lots of affluent people there and hence some financial institutions and big home prices. Huge mall in Fashion Island where I once saw Lindsay Davenport (she lives in NB). There is a quaint little island nearby - Balboa Island I think it is, and an annual boat festival in the bay. John Wayne/Santa Ana airport is next door. Laguna Beach is nearby and is a very unique artsy place. I used to play in the Racquet Club of Irvine which has clay courts.

Basically, it is the affluent part of OC before it becomes Costa Mesa and Anaheim and slowly succumbs to the LA pressure.

Lindsay Davenport? What was she doing?

What type of clay courts?

Hm, when I would arrive there, I was thinking of signing up on some tournaments and hopefully find more racquets that I play with.

Roger Wawrinka 04-05-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7326283)

I've never seen the clay courts but I'm pretty sure the racquet club of Irvine has a lot of hard courts too.

sureshs 04-05-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 7326557)
I've never seen the clay courts but I'm pretty sure the racquet club of Irvine has a lot of hard courts too.

Yes of course. You can check out their web site. They also had a heated swimming pool (Olympic size) and sauna.

sureshs 04-05-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7326545)
Lindsay Davenport? What was she doing?

What type of clay courts?

She lives there.

Har Tru I think.

Overdrive 04-05-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7326639)
Yes of course. You can check out their web site. They also had a heated swimming pool (Olympic size) and sauna.

How much is the monthly fee?!

sureshs 04-06-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7327301)
How much is the monthly fee?!

I used to pay 150 a month

They had an initiation fee, but it was waived for me.

Now I play at a facility with no pool, sauna, changing room or restaurant, for 275 a year!

eidolonshinobi 04-07-2013 05:32 AM

Racquet Club of Irvine was an awesome place. My best friend worked there in college and that's where I got to play tennis for the first time. Awesome facility if you can afford it.

Overdrive 04-07-2013 09:20 AM

Oh okay, because I was trying to find someone in the area to ship some racquets for me. But there's no one in the area.. :(

Overdrive 04-07-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7329253)
I used to pay 150 a month

They had an initiation fee, but it was waived for me.

Now I play at a facility with no pool, sauna, changing room or restaurant, for 275 a year!

There's no changing room? No thanks! :p

sureshs 04-07-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7329991)
There's no changing room? No thanks! :p

The restroom is big and we use it as a changing room.

When I was with RCI, I used to camp out there all day Sunday. Play tennis, swim, use the jacuzzi, and eat at the restaurant bar watching TV.

LuckyR 04-09-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7325810)
How's the city, weather, and life like?

I was planning to visit a lesser-known city in California before it forms into an inland in a few decades. :p

Also, anyone living around the area can post here as well.

Went to school very near there. Great place to visit. If you are planning on living there be aware that NB was the source material for The OC and The Real Housewives of Orange County. You've been warned.

sureshs 04-09-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7334298)
Went to school very near there. Great place to visit.

UCI?.................

LuckyR 04-09-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7334357)
UCI?.................

Zot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sureshs 04-09-2013 01:30 PM

Been to the campus many times.

Overdrive 04-09-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7334298)
Went to school very near there. Great place to visit. If you are planning on living there be aware that NB was the source material for The OC and The Real Housewives of Orange County. You've been warned.

I'm never moving out of state. Honestly, California is one of the Top 5 states that I would never live in. :|

arche3 04-09-2013 01:50 PM

Eh... I have a house in Newport beach still. A beach front rental now. Used to live there. Cant pay me to live there now. Different life style.

sureshs 04-09-2013 01:51 PM

What lifestyle is better than that?

arche3 04-09-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7334494)
What lifestyle is better than that?

Too crowded. Not enough buffer.