Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Possible switch to Nike from Adidas (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460133)

shaqtus 04-08-2013 01:03 PM

Possible switch to Nike from Adidas

I have been die hard Adidas guy, and love the wear I get from Barricades, but
they really aren't that nice to my feet and my toes/toe nails are taking the beating. And in general I am starting to feel they are just too stiff, especially the new 7s.. My wife, who is a runner, told me about how she always loved her old shoes and thought beat up feet was part of the deal, but just happened to switch to asics and her feet have been better for it. So also thinking about looking at Asics tennis, but this is about Nike today. (but feel free to chime in on Asics)

I have a chance to get a great deal on all the Nike Shoes.

What do you all like about the following choices.
Zoom Vapor 9.
Air Max Cage.
Court Ballistec 4.3.

I can get most of these for 50-60 bucks.

Sell me on the above options. I am an aggressive serve and volley (mostly), hard court player playing 3x per week.

Thanks in advance!

NJ1 04-08-2013 01:05 PM

4.3. But be sure to go easy on the laces as the holders can break if you pull them too hard/too often. Dumb design I know, but follow this and they'll last you a good time (75% of Barricades).

I love B7s btw, maybe you need to go up 1/2 size in them like I do.

gplracer 04-08-2013 02:49 PM

Vapor 9's are the best performing and comfortable shoe I have ever owned. Durability is not ghe best but at that price who cares

ForLoveOfTheGame 04-08-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaqtus (Post 7332388)
I have been die hard Adidas guy, and love the wear I get from Barricades, but
they really aren't that nice to my feet and my toes/toe nails are taking the beating. And in general I am starting to feel they are just too stiff, especially the new 7s.. My wife, who is a runner, told me about how she always loved her old shoes and thought beat up feet was part of the deal, but just happened to switch to asics and her feet have been better for it. So also thinking about looking at Asics tennis, but this is about Nike today. (but feel free to chime in on Asics)

I have a chance to get a great deal on all the Nike Shoes.

What do you all like about the following choices.
Zoom Vapor 9.
Air Max Cage.
Court Ballistec 4.3.

I can get most of these for 50-60 bucks.

Sell me on the above options. I am an aggressive serve and volley (mostly), hard court player playing 3x per week.

Thanks in advance!

Holy cow! You can get vapor 9s for $50-$60???? Can I be your new best friend? Is there a site you're getting for this price or do you just have a good connection?

shaqtus 04-08-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForLoveOfTheGame (Post 7332574)
Holy cow! You can get vapor 9s for $50-$60???? Can I be your new best friend? Is there a site you're getting for this price or do you just have a good connection?

:) good connection!

Bobby Jr 04-08-2013 06:01 PM

If you can get them for less than $100 go with the Vapor 9s. They really are a great shoe.

DeFrank 04-08-2013 06:19 PM

Agreed. Vapors are so worth it if less than the top $130.

Big_Dangerous 04-08-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gplracer (Post 7332550)
Vapor 9's are the best performing and comfortable shoe I have ever owned. Durability is not ghe best but at that price who cares

Everybody says that about durability, but I bought some signal blue Vapors back in early February/late January, and I'm not even seeing much wear on the bottom at all.

eidolonshinobi 04-08-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 7332931)
Everybody says that about durability, but I bought some signal blue Vapors back in early February/late January, and I'm not even seeing much wear on the bottom at all.

I tore through the CB3.3 in 3 months, B7 in 4, Asics GR3 and 4 in a bit over 3.

I don't even want to try the Vapors unless they were dirt cheap.

bigheadzjr 04-08-2013 07:33 PM

I love the 4.3 but the break-in period kind of sucks. If you are getting nike's under $100 then I recommend getting the Vapors. They're pretty comfortable but like everyone said, durability can be an issue. I tried the Airmax Cages, they're wider than the 4.3's but durability was an issue for me.

I usually play between 2-4 times a week, about 3-5 hours a day at a 4.0-4.5 USTA level. 4.3 usually last me about 3 and a half to 4 months. Vapors, about 3 months. Airmax Cages, (shocking enough) lasted me 2 months.

Hope this helps :)

sports4eva115 04-08-2013 09:49 PM

I wore through my barricades and CB 4.3's in 3 months and while waiting for the new 4.3's to come in, I gave my vapors a try, and I have to say the outsole isnt that bad. Compared to barricades and 4.3's directly, I'm probably not going to wear it out in 1 month. But I AM a toe dragger and I slide a lot on court, so I ended up tearing a hole in the upper medial side of the shoes (the upper inside mesh) before wearing the outsole out completely
back to shoes with toe guards and dragon2x!

shaqtus 04-09-2013 04:49 PM

think i'm gonna just order vapors and 4.3's since the total order will be about 120 for both pairs! try em both out. My foot is semi wide, so maybe put in a different insole.
I have also seen some folks saying to get 1/2 size larger in 4.3's. I always thought Nike fit kind of small anyway, so makes sense.
Thanks for all the responses!

shaqtus 04-19-2013 03:27 AM

My goodies arrived yesterday!

anewtypedude 04-19-2013 03:46 AM

Nice leather sofa!

ArliHawk 04-19-2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaqtus (Post 7334800)
think i'm gonna just order vapors and 4.3's since the total order will be about 120 for both pairs! try em both out. My foot is semi wide, so maybe put in a different insole.
I have also seen some folks saying to get 1/2 size larger in 4.3's. I always thought Nike fit kind of small anyway, so makes sense.
Thanks for all the responses!

I would not go a half size higher in the 4.3, at least in my experience.

shaqtus 04-19-2013 05:06 AM

I ended up just ordering these vapors for now, and some shirts.

shaqtus 04-19-2013 07:35 PM

damn, these things are like slippers!

West Coast Ace 04-20-2013 04:35 PM

^^^ Yup. Welcome to the team. I have no idea how Nike can top the V9.

Fintft 04-27-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaqtus (Post 7353638)
I ended up just ordering these vapors for now, and some shirts.

I presume that you are light(at least not heavy like me)?

B/c to me not only was durability an issue with the Vapors, but they started to give in pretty fast (not much support after a while, they felt like cloth) and such I relegated them to clay.

CBs on the other hand, while less clunky then the Barricades, provide better support, traction and durability + I usually get a second pair under the warranty for free, no hassle.

shaqtus 04-28-2013 04:45 AM

I will try out the cb's at some point now that i have this hook up with Nike shoes. The warranty is nice benefit, as i usually have no problem wearing them out before 6 mos is up.