Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I am convinced that 1hbh is not suited for park tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460267)

luvforty 04-09-2013 05:26 PM

I am convinced that 1hbh is not suited for park tennis

the pros do NOT take the ball on the rise... 1hb hits a falling ball, which means they stand 8 ft behind the baseline..

can't do this in park tennis... recs just can't cover this much ground.. you stand 8ft behind you will see drop shots all day long.

no 1hb can hit rising balls consistently standing 2ft behind the line, not the guys i have seen in real life, not the guys i have seen on TV.

case closed.

LeeD 04-09-2013 05:38 PM

Let's pry the lid open just a bit.
No "rec park" player can consistently hit deep to your backhand.
YOU can do something about it, like hit to their backhand, or dropangle, shortangle, or change the equation.
Someone once discovered a new way to hit a 1hbh....SLICE.
Then someone invented the short volley stroke.
Someone then invented the MOVING FORWARDS to backhand volley DTL.
Since most 2hbh guys volley 1 handed, should we condemn 1hbh already?

magnut 04-09-2013 05:40 PM

Mine can. The only time I go 8 feet behind the baseline is to pick up balls. Simplify your technique and use body rotation a little more and its not that hard. It will also help you return serve off that side. It also helps if you are strong in the shoulders. If you have a girly mans body and rely on huge backswings it can be tough. Other than that dont let the ball play you. Work on your footwork and preperation.

In short....watch Edberg.

magnut 04-09-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7334892)
Let's pry the lid open just a bit.
No "rec park" player can consistently hit deep to your backhand.
YOU can do something about it, like hit to their backhand, or dropangle, shortangle, or change the equation.
Someone once discovered a new way to hit a 1hbh....SLICE.
Then someone invented the short volley stroke.
Someone then invented the MOVING FORWARDS to backhand volley DTL.
Since most 2hbh guys volley 1 handed, should we condemn 1hbh already?

A well struck one handed backhand is simply the most beautiful movement in all of sports. There is no movemnet like it. Its special only to tennis.

LeeD 04-09-2013 05:46 PM

Frisbee tossing, karate chop to the ribs, drawing a sword from your belt scabbard, hammer throwing, throwing stars, insulting backhand slap.

magnut 04-09-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7334908)
Frisbee tossing, karate chop to the ribs, drawing a sword from your belt scabbard, hammer throwing, throwing stars, insulting backhand slap.

Those are some crazy examples. I never agreed with the frisbee thing. The sword from the belt scabbard is interesting though. I never though of that one. The rest eh? I have not thrown ninja starts in a while though. Maybe I should try it? But then what would I do with my Beretta?

Avles 04-09-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7334870)
the pros do NOT take the ball on the rise... 1hb hits a falling ball, which means they stand 8 ft behind the baseline..

I don't really see Almagro and Wawrinka standing 8 ft behind the baseline here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXCKvawrmuY

Where they stand seems to depend on whether they are attacking or defending. And if taking the ball before it falls with the 1hbh is impossible, why does Almagro move in to return second serves from inside the baseline?

Also, pro shots are often rising as they cross the baseline. Rec shots often are not. So pros will have to stand a lot further back to avoid taking the ball on the rise. Right?

JRstriker12 04-09-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

can't do this in park tennis... recs just can't cover this much ground.. you stand 8ft behind you will see drop shots all day long.

no 1hb can hit rising balls consistently standing 2ft behind the line, not the guys i have seen in real life, not the guys i have seen on TV.

case closed.

The pros don't take it on the rise with a one hander????

Richard Gasquet hits a 103 mph backhand winner (2013 Sony Open)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX6JPZQiu9Q

He sure as hell hit that on the rise. Hit quite a few good backhands to stay in the point.

At about 14 secs in Fed hits about 4 backhands on the rise, hugging the baseline and then hits a backhand winner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzVUxvN49A0

Beyond that, most rec park players can't consistently hit a penetrating ball that will pin you 8 ft behind the baseline.

LeeD 04-09-2013 06:00 PM

Noticed a trend lately with frisbee golf guys, lots are now throwing with a forehand motion, sidearmed, for a little more length. Some baskets are located over 130 yards, over water, and park benches.
Beretta's make a lot of noise, 9's fast and penetrating, little stopping power. Ninja stars stop you in your tracks if one is embedded in your forehead.....:):)

LeeD 04-09-2013 06:01 PM

Good way to practice the short hop groundies. Hit the wall, hit it at the short hop. Use the power and redirect it.

magnut 04-09-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7334945)
Noticed a trend lately with frisbee golf guys, lots are now throwing with a forehand motion, sidearmed, for a little more length. Some baskets are located over 130 yards, over water, and park benches.
Beretta's make a lot of noise, 9's fast and penetrating, little stopping power. Ninja stars stop you in your tracks if one is embedded in your forehead.....:):)

LOL :) Yeah I got nailed in the forehead with a 9 a few weaks ago and just brushed it off....no big deal!

LeeD 04-09-2013 06:26 PM

As you well know, a nine is a glorified .38, actually a .355.
Lots of stories how 10+ rounds zipped thru people who continued to charge and shoot back, which is why the .45 auto was adopted over the .38. I was a .45 auto fan for 15 years, GoldCups, Comps, Commanders, LightweightCommanders, BehlertCommanders, Eagles, and a few other stainless variants.
Few keep charging and shooting if ONE star, or arrow, is sticking out of your body parts.
I"m a CZ-75 9 mil fan now. 15+1, 4 mags, in a shoulder harness. WWSilvertip 125 grain split points, my preferred load.

Say Chi Sin Lo 04-09-2013 06:30 PM

Sounds like an excuse from someone who tried to look cool, but couldn't pull it off.

JW10S 04-09-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

case closed.

You've never seen Haas, Gasquet, Almagro, Federer, Wawrinka, Robredo, Rochus, Blake, take a 1hb on the rise? Don't watch much pro tennis do you?

WildVolley 04-09-2013 06:38 PM

If you can't hit a topspin 1hbh, just stand on the baseline and slice it back rec-style.

Roger Wawrinka 04-09-2013 06:40 PM

^^ yes I have seen most of those players hit a 1hb on the rise!! Not sure what you are talking about. :confused:

And yes I do watch a LOT of pro tennis.

magnut 04-09-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7334991)
As you well know, a nine is a glorified .38, actually a .355.
Lots of stories how 10+ rounds zipped thru people who continued to charge and shoot back, which is why the .45 auto was adopted over the .38. I was a .45 auto fan for 15 years, GoldCups, Comps, Commanders, LightweightCommanders, BehlertCommanders, Eagles, and a few other stainless variants.
Few keep charging and shooting if ONE star, or arrow, is sticking out of your body parts.
I"m a CZ-75 9 mil fan now. 15+1, 4 mags, in a shoulder harness. WWSilvertip 125 grain split points, my preferred load.

Neat. I wont argue with you that the 45 is a better round. I actaully carry a plain old Makarov most of the time. I have never felt underarmed but I dont live in a bad area...yet. The way things are going though who knows. I am a big Beretta fan though. CZs are very nice as well. At least your not a Glock or nothing nut.

Good call on the shoulder harness though. I use one as well. I find it really hard to hit a one handed backhand and move around the net with a waist carry. I tried ankle carry a few times but it seemed to throw my balance off when approaching on my slice. Shoulder harnesses with additional magazines seem to quiet down the upper body and the rig itself balances nicely both when moving forward or being stretched out wide. It just takes a little time to get used to the weight.

Say Chi Sin Lo 04-09-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 7335008)
You've never seen Haas, Gasquet, Almalgro, Federer, Wawrinka, Robredo, Rochus take a 1hb on the rise? Don't watch much pro tennis do you?

Most of them attack too much, that's not real tennis by today's standards. *sarcasm*

Maybe that's why OP doesn't watch them?

JW10S 04-09-2013 06:43 PM

^^^RogerWawinka, um, I was quoting the OP who said pros don't do it...what are you talking about?

luvforty 04-09-2013 06:45 PM

when I say not on the rise - I mean not as a meat/potato shot... as opposed to agassi style 2 ft behind the baseline, can't play that way with 1hb.

and Lee, what is this, a gun show now?