Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What's your favorite Oakley lens for outdoor tennis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460494)

NE1for10is? 04-11-2013 04:17 PM

What's your favorite Oakley lens for outdoor tennis?

Clear (93% Light Transmission)
G30 Iridium (30% LT)
VR28 (28% LT)
Bronze (22% LT)
Bronze Polarized (18% LT)
VR28 Gold Iridium (17% LT)
Fire Iridium (16% LT)
VR 28 Polarized (15% LT)
VR28 Black Iridium (14% LT)
Other

Jay_The_Nomad 04-12-2013 09:31 PM

I like the Oakley transition soflx lenses that I'm using in my radars. It goes from clear to pretty dark depending on light levels. On really bright days I use the positive red which is not very dark.

Lukhas 04-13-2013 01:39 AM

I don't even know which ones I have... I have a clear pair and a black polarized pair.

NE1for10is? 04-13-2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_The_Nomad (Post 7340989)
I like the Oakley transition soflx lenses that I'm using in my radars. It goes from clear to pretty dark depending on light levels. On really bright days I use the positive red which is not very dark.

How long does it take for the transitions to change when the light suddenly changes? If it gets cloudy or the sun breaks through the clouds at a critical moment in the match does it bug you till they adjust? Are they a grey tint?

Jay_The_Nomad 04-13-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NE1for10is? (Post 7341273)
How long does it take for the transitions to change when the light suddenly changes? If it gets cloudy or the sun breaks through the clouds at a critical moment in the match does it bug you till they adjust? Are they a grey tint?

The ones I have are 100% clear but darken to a dark grey under bright sunlight.

It takes about half a minute for the lenses to adjust.

I usually use these lenses in the late afternoon as the light levels slowly changes. I really like them for that purpose. As for sudden overcasts/sun breaking through, the lenses do take a while to change, but I can't say it has really bothered me to the extent where I had to take the sunglasses off.

Only thing to note is these lenses do not work as well in very hot temperatures.

eidolonshinobi 04-16-2013 08:03 AM

I have the bronze polarized but I sweat too much for the glasses to stay on my face without wiping it off every point. Gave up on that.

charliefedererer 04-16-2013 07:43 PM

The iridium coating has a reputation for scratching easily.
Has anyone noticed this?

I like the amber polarized lenses with 30% light transmission.

These still stop 100% of harmful ultraviolet rays.

I find it interesting that there are many who won't wear sunglasses, and that the other camp is to wear fairly dark tints.

My problem with very dark lenses is that they cause the ball to look like a dark blob, and don't permit as much contrast with the court and background.

The amber still removes over 2/3 of the light coming in, the polarization cuts glare, and the amber color makes the ball "pop" out against backgrounds.

Amber is a color favored by many hunters and anglers for the high contrast it provides.

Because the lenses aren't too dark, you can still get great contrast on overcast days, and even fairly late into the evening.

They also make a nice driving lens.

Edit: NE1410is, wrote the above before seeing your post in the other thread that the polarized amber lenses have been discontinued. It seems the bronze would be the closest color match, but hopefully you'll get other opinions to help you decide.

The Isomotion31 04-22-2013 01:29 PM

I've got the fire iridium on some radar paths that I use.