Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My stringing woes and adventures (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460575)

djNEiGht 04-12-2013 11:31 AM

My stringing woes and adventures

I was lent a stringer (ATS Super Stringer drop weight) for a good length of time as he now has a crank set up. It has some nice upgrades to it. I did my first racquet in a 2 piece doing the 50/50 pattern with Volkl Classic Syn Gut.

My primary racquets are Boris Becker Londons with leather grip and just enough lead at 10/2 to bring balance back to stock. Current string job is Solinco Tour Bite/NXT Tour. Should be just over 12 ounces. The racquet I strung up was a stock London.

I had some set backs while reading the instructions and watching YouTube videos. When I started the mains doing the 50/50, I didn't realize I was off by one hole until I was about done with the 1st piece. I was able to start over and in having to do so, I guess you could say that I pre-stretched the string. :-| Doing the crosses went better (also doing 50/50) with the exception of the weaving. Watching the experienced stringers do the crosses seems like it is much easier than it is.

I cut the string with about 1 inch left over for precaution should the knot slip. I had the drop weight set at 57#s. Racquet Tune said it was at 49.3#. The sound of the string bed sounded dead...or at least more dead than I expected. I haven't hit with Syn Gut for a while as I've been on multi and poly/multi set ups for some time. Hitting the heel of my palm also sent a weird sensation compared to my other racquets I had strung up by the local shop or other experienced stringers.

About 9 hours later I checked racquet tune and it said it had dropped to 48.1#. I cut the extended string closer to the knot and took some pictures to send to my friend who lent me the stringer.

He already told me to expect mistakes when stringing. Obviously knew of my incorrect string pattern to start but didn't notice I had missed one weave on the last cross string. It was on the home stretch and I was then stringing with one eye opened. :oops:

I hit with it about 20 hours later. It took some getting used to playing with a lighter racquet and in a string bed that didn't bite as much as my main set up. The action and feel at the net made up for my dismay at the base line and service. It had that nice crisp feeling and sound.

I played one set with it and then went back to my standard set up for the remainder of the night.

Afterwards I told my play mates I had just strung this up and shared my embarrassment of missing weave. It was then the joke as to why I played so bad. I then compared my racquet head and noticed that it was wider than the other racquets. I guess the tension wasn't as tight as it should have been or the string was slipping within the clamps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My question to the stringers
-how long do I let the drop weight stay active
-do I reposition the drop weight should it drop when I remove the clamp (flying)
-how tight should I set my flying clamps?
-what type of string should I use for practice YET has decent play-ability for the price?
-my friend might give/sell me the stringer but if he doesn't, should I look at upgrading to a crank? it's does cost more than I am ready to spend right now. Currently willing to spend about $300ish.

Those are it for now. I'll keep adding my adventures. I have another racquet in my closet that I'll do laater today if I can pick up some cheap string to practice with. I want to save my nice strings for when I get better or take it to an experienced stringer.

Cheers

Irvin 04-12-2013 11:50 AM

Wow long post but I read most of it. Why would you want to do a two piece 50/50 on a BB London? As far as to why your strings felt dead I am not sure but my guess is you over stretched the sting playing around with the youtube video you were watching trying to string the racket.

eelhc 04-12-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djNEiGht (Post 7340056)
Obviously knew of my incorrect string pattern to start but didn't notice I had missed one weave on the last cross string. It was on the home stretch and I was then stringing with one eye opened. :oops:

It's against the rules to play with a missed weave Racquet. Not sure how much effect the last cross has on the actual play but if you were playing in a tournament or a USTA match and your opponents or an official spots the mis weave I think you can be disqualified. For casual play... who cares... cut it out and redo it... only cost you another ~$15 and some time...

djNEiGht 04-12-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7340100)
Wow long post but I read most of it. Why would you want to do a two piece 50/50 on a BB London? As far as to why your strings felt dead I am not sure but my guess is you over stretched the sting playing around with the youtube video you were watching trying to string the racket.

thanks for your effort :)

I went with the 50/50 as it seemed the easiest to understand (and it was the 1st pattern i found) and I like playing hybrids.

Now you hear about pre-stretching.

-What strings do you pre-stretch and how? Do you let the drop weight sit a bit longer?

djNEiGht 04-12-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eelhc (Post 7340187)
It's against the rules to play with a missed weave Racquet. Not sure how much effect the last cross has on the actual play but if you were playing in a tournament or a USTA match and your opponents or an official spots the mis weave I think you can be disqualified. For casual play... who cares... cut it out and redo it... only cost you another ~$15 and some time...

It hadn't crossed my mind about the rules. I would also play with my other racquet that was done by an experienced stringer also for match play (casual play or tournament).

$15 string job? I want to practice with something cheaper before I start trying out the pref strings. Any favorite economical strings you could recommend? I've hit with Gosen OG Sheep and will prob get some sets of those. I will consider some other similar priced sun guts.

Thanks

eelhc 04-12-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djNEiGht (Post 7340833)
It hadn't crossed my mind about the rules. I would also play with my other racquet that was done by an experienced stringer also for match play (casual play or tournament).

$15 string job? I want to practice with something cheaper before I start trying out the pref strings. Any favorite economical strings you could recommend? I've hit with Gosen OG Sheep and will prob get some sets of those. I will consider some other similar priced sun guts.

Thanks

Well the BHBR seems to be the gold standard in the "cheap good string" category.

Tennis Warehouse had a sale on the Volkl Cyclone for a few weeks and while it's back to the regular $7.99 price, it's good value.

I'm trying out the Leopard Plus Control 16 now ($6) and so far it's been fantastic. Good spin and control with a decent amount of power and comfortable too. I have a stringer as well so durability isn't a big concern (I cut the strings out to try something else before any appreciable tension loss). My USTA match racquet has Ashaway Dynamite soft 18 ($12) now...

Irvin 04-12-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djNEiGht (Post 7340819)
thanks for your effort :)

I went with the 50/50 as it seemed the easiest to understand (and it was the 1st pattern i found) and I like playing hybrids.

Now you hear about pre-stretching.

-What strings do you pre-stretch and how? Do you let the drop weight sit a bit longer?

Nothing wrong with hybrids but I would not string the crosses from the center of the frame out like a 50/50 pattern does unless I was stringing a Prince racket with side O ports. The only string I pre stretch is gut. And the reason for that is to remove some of the memory or coiling so it is easier to handle. I hold one end with a starting clamp on a weight bench and pull the other with about 40 lbs pressure for about a minute.

Holding a string on a drop weight for a long time really stretches a string and the longer you stretch it the farther the string is stretched resulting in a tighter string bed. Do that with poly at high tension and you will have some dead strings. I like poly strung at lower tensions.

Tamiya 04-13-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7341062)
Nothing wrong with hybrids but I would not string the crosses from the center of the frame out like a 50/50 pattern does unless I was stringing a Prince racket with side O ports.

ahh... watched your mr10sstringer video on 50:50 last weekend

Earlier was just staring at the Air-O wondering how to start & if I can 1pc it :twisted:

Irvin 04-13-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya (Post 7341140)
ahh... watched your mr10sstringer video on 50:50 last weekend

Earlier was just staring at the Air-O wondering how to start & if I can 1pc it :twisted:

Not sure what you're referring to when you say Air-O. If you're talking about a Prince racket with O Ports on the side and a one piece 50/50 then no it will not work.

EDIT: When stringing a racket with O ports (or Wilson rollers) there will be two strings in each port. The bottom string in the port must enter the port from the inside and the top string from the outside when stringing from top down and the opposite is true when stringing up the racket.

beernutz 04-13-2013 05:20 AM

You can buy a reel of Forten nylon on TW for $17 which is about $1 a set.

Pbarrow 04-13-2013 06:54 AM

A couple more practice rounds and you will be hooked! I bought a stringer recently and had some trials and tribulations too, mostly with knots. But after about five jobs it gets much easier and I feel a lot more confident now. As a matter of fact I dont trust anyone else to string my sticks now! You may get spoiled on the finer points of stringing, like pulling different tensions in the outer strings, or fast pulling gut and slow pulling poly on hybrid jobs etc. it's fun to experiment. If you want some really cheap practice string go to uatennis dot com.

Tamiya 04-13-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7341250)
Not sure what you're referring to when you say Air-O. If you're talking about a Prince racket with O Ports on the side and a one piece 50/50 then no it will not work.

EDIT: When stringing a racket with O ports (or Wilson rollers) there will be two strings in each port. The bottom string in the port must enter the port from the inside and the top string from the outside when stringing from top down and the opposite is true when stringing up the racket.

it's an orange & silver Prince stick labelled "Air-O Impact" landed on my bench
Friday, can't find too much about it nor stringing pattern instructions

Got some hybrid mix of staggered O-ports on side & none in bumper.
Appears to be factory strung & not the neatest 2pc job...

Irvin 04-13-2013 08:44 AM

Is this it? Strange for a Prince but look where it is coming from. 16 mains skip 7&9 head and throat so the mains will end at the throat. Now comes the tricky part. Are there two tie off holes on each side at the bottom? If not string it one piece bottom up. You could probably do an ATW and go top down, but I would not.

EDIT: Make sure you get the short side right before you tie it off, or you are going to have issues to deal with none of which are good. The side with the most regular grommets on the bottom is the long side.

Irvin 04-13-2013 08:51 AM

My guess is the mains tie off at 6T and the bottom cross at 8T. I would switch them though or put the softer string in 6T if you are doing a hybrid. That being the case string two piece top down. The reason for tying off the mains at 8T is so you don't have two strings blocking hole 7T which is the bottom cross. It also makes a neater string job on the bottom corners as you never have 3 strings running parallel.

pvw_tf 04-13-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

-how long do I let the drop weight stay active

for each string you do, the same amount of time.

Quote:

-do I reposition the drop weight should it drop when I remove the clamp (flying)

If the drop weight is going down when you remove the clamp you loose tension, which will happen with free clamps more easy than with fixed clamps. But as long as it is consistent over the whole job........

Quote:

-how tight should I set my flying clamps?

As loose as possible. But the string should not slip in the clamps. (Very) tight clamps can damage strings. Slipping is not good also, some clamps will damage strings too.

Peter

djNEiGht 04-13-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eelhc (Post 7340932)
Well the BHBR seems to be the gold standard in the "cheap good string" category.

Tennis Warehouse had a sale on the Volkl Cyclone for a few weeks and while it's back to the regular $7.99 price, it's good value.

I have yet to hit with a Tourna string other than the BHB7 from the demo a few months back but will keep BHBR in mind.

I have considered Cyclone as a next level up string from cheap synthetic strings. I was at the local shop today and they had a 660 reel of Volkl Classic Synthetic for $40.

djNEiGht 04-13-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with hybrids but I would not string the crosses from the center of the frame out like a 50/50 pattern does unless I was stringing a Prince racket with side O ports.

I spent more time reading and watching some stringing tips. I'd like to learn more patterns. I did a 1 piece today on my nCode nTour 95. It took me about an hour to do and I didn't have as nearly as many hurdles as my 1st racquet. Also seemed to have done a more

Quote:

The only string I pre stretch is gut. And the reason for that is to remove some of the memory or coiling so it is easier to handle. I hold one end with a starting clamp on a weight bench and pull the other with about 40 lbs pressure for about a minute.

I dont' see myself stringing gut for a while till I learn how to string properly :)

Quote:

Holding a string on a drop weight for a long time really stretches a string and the longer you stretch it the farther the string is stretched resulting in a tighter string bed. Do that with poly at high tension and you will have some dead strings. I like poly strung at lower tensions.

Just having started stringing, I'm not sure if I heard correctly. Isn't the L-Tec method something along the sort of letting the string getting stretched for a long period of time? Not that it matters to me now as I want to learn the basics of stringing before I try and altered/different technique.

djNEiGht 04-13-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7341322)
You can buy a reel of Forten nylon on TW for $17 which is about $1 a set.

I thought about nylon but decided to go with the volkl classic. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7341400)
A couple more practice rounds and you will be hooked! I bought a stringer recently and had some trials and tribulations too, mostly with knots. But after about five jobs it gets much easier and I feel a lot more confident now. As a matter of fact I dont trust anyone else to string my sticks now! You may get spoiled on the finer points of stringing, like pulling different tensions in the outer strings, or fast pulling gut and slow pulling poly on hybrid jobs etc. it's fun to experiment. If you want some really cheap practice string go to uatennis dot com.

I think I am hooked. It's rewarding (all the mistakes taken with a grain of salt) like doing reloads of ammo or building a bicycle wheel. I saw that uatennis a bit late and picked up something already...

djNEiGht 04-13-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvw_tf (Post 7342380)

If the drop weight is going down when you remove the clamp you loose tension, which will happen with free clamps more easy than with fixed clamps. But as long as it is consistent over the whole job........

Peter

Should the weight drop after removing the flying clamp, would it be okay to lift the drop weight till it it level again?

Irvin 04-14-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djNEiGht (Post 7342526)
I spent more time reading and watching some stringing tips. I'd like to learn more patterns. I did a 1 piece today on my nCode nTour 95. It took me about an hour to do and I didn't have as nearly as many hurdles as my 1st racquet. Also seemed to have done a more

1 hour is not bad for a new stringer especially with flying clamps and a drop weight

Quote:

I dont' see myself stringing gut for a while till I learn how to string properly :)

Good idea but many other string could benefit from pre stretching to make them more manageable

Quote:

Just having started stringing, I'm not sure if I heard correctly. Isn't the L-Tec method something along the sort of letting the string getting stretched for a long period of time? Not that it matters to me now as I want to learn the basics of stringing before I try and altered/different technique.

L-Tec is a brand of string promoted by the JET (John Elliot Technique) Method. The JET Method uses low tensions for poly string and long pull times especially on the crosses to overcome the friction on the mains and crosses. Longer constant pulling stretches the string more and even thou you have lower tension you get a stiffer string bed because of the longer. You also neve over stretch the string. But hitting a ball over stretches the string when you play so if it is that bad to over tension may you should not play with the racket either. The JET Method uses a system of proportional stringing which tension the outer (shorter strings at lower tensions except for tie off strings where the tension is raised. I don't think it does a lot of good but it could i guess. If you haven't tried maybe you should. But with a drop weight it could add a lot of confusion for someone learning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djNEiGht (Post 7342533)
Should the weight drop after removing the flying clamp, would it be okay to lift the drop weight till it it level again?

Not sure if it should but it does. If you lift the weight and level you are tensioning for a longer period of time like the JET Technique. Doing that will increase the string stretch and string bed stiffness without making any change in tension. When you hit the ball it is not the tension you feel on one string but the overall string bed stiffness.