Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Different tensions with poly makes no difference (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460601)

DonDiego 04-12-2013 04:00 PM

Different tensions with poly makes no difference

Ok, title is a bit peremptory...

But if I play with multis in my racquet, I can notice a 2lbs difference in tension. With polys, I could do a blind playtest with racquets strung at 54 and 59, and wouldn't feel the difference.

Did some of you also notice this? Maybe it depends on which poly you use. I use mainly RPM Blast 18 gauge.

I'm wondering if it's some kind of general rule -- that polys can be strung in wider tension range without making a noticeable difference in your feel.

Agree or not?

DonDiego 04-12-2013 05:37 PM

Really, Anyone? Am I crazy?

RogueFLIP 04-12-2013 06:09 PM

Sorry, I totally can feel a difference between 54 and 59...well, at least I can def SEE the difference. No, I can feel it too, lol.

As as you can see from my sig, I use the same string and gauge.

I guess everyone's sensitivity is different, eh?

gmatheis 04-12-2013 06:40 PM

you guys are nuts stringing poly that high ! :)

RogueFLIP 04-12-2013 06:50 PM

^^^ not the worst thing I've been called :twisted:

I first tried my RPM @ 50#. Hated it, just kept going up till I reached something I felt was right for me.

colowhisper 04-12-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7340804)
you guys are nuts stringing poly that high ! :)

I agree, having discovered the bliss of lower tensions on my body and my game. With full admission of being a string and eqiopment junkie, and thanks to all the wisdom that can be found on this forum, I love poly in the 40s and gut/syn gut in the low 50s.

eidolonshinobi 04-12-2013 08:29 PM

48lbs for polys for me.

I can definitely tell between 48lbs vs 52lbs +

BreakPoint 04-12-2013 08:59 PM

Basically, poly is stiff compared to a multi at ANY tension. When I string poly on my dropweight machine, I can't even tell what tension I'm stringing it at because the drop weight doesn't drop at all - it doesn't even budge. I can set the weight to any tension and it just doesn't drop and pull the string to horizontal so how do I know what tension it's at? There's no resiliency in poly so I have no idea how much tension the weight in pulling on the string, if any.

marosmith 04-12-2013 09:02 PM

Yes it is stiffer and the stringbed maintains stiffness with only a small difference in tension. Imagine with the tension loss in poly if it was very noticeable like with other strings, how could anyone play with the stuff for more than 4 hours?

With poly you need to drop the tension in larger increments to really notice. 2-3 lbs isn't really noticeable.

pvaudio 04-12-2013 09:15 PM

With many polys, 4lbs can mean the difference between magic and simply atrocious. See WC Silverstring or SP Hyperion as a prime example.

danotje 04-13-2013 04:27 AM

When I was still experimenting with string types and tensions, I ran across BHBR. My first exoerience with it was a hybrid at 58. Absolutely hated the way it felt--very stiff and boardy. The spin, however, caught my attention. After a few more random tests of other strings, I still hadn't shaken that spin of BHBR out of my mind, so I decided to give it another go. I dropped to 54, and it was like a completely different string. Much better feel and still producing that monster spin. I haven't played with a different main since. Now I string it at 30, and you can really feel the difference. Very lively, tons of spin and easy on the arm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7340970)
Basically, poly is stiff compared to a multi at ANY tension. When I string poly on my dropweight machine, I can't even tell what tension I'm stringing it at because the drop weight doesn't drop at all - it doesn't even budge. I can set the weight to any tension and it just doesn't drop and pull the string to horizontal so how do I know what tension it's at? There's no resiliency in poly so I have no idea how much tension the weight in pulling on the string, if any.

I found this interesting because I'm curoius about what you mean. When I string syn gut on my drop weight, I need very little slack from the clamp to the gripper to get a full drop because it stretches so much (which usually winds up with me having to ratchet the arm back up to level a little). For polys, I'll pull down on the string from the clamp to the gripper about 2-3 inches before putting it in the gripper. This slack allows the arm to drop fully. I also stretch the mains while under tension by pushing down on the string about an inch for a couple of seconds. This causes a small drop of the arm, too. For the crosses, after they are under tension, I unclamp and leave it that way while I weave the next one which also gives me a small drop of the arm. After a lot of string jobs with the same string, I've gotten a feel for how much slack I need. This might've been unnecessary, but if you are having trouble stringing polys, hopefully it helps. :)

The Meat 04-13-2013 04:59 AM

57-60 lbs, I don't feel a difference.

But any tension below that I start to feel the poly being a little more springy, sometimes mushy in lower grade poly's.

Muppet 04-13-2013 05:47 AM

I think there are at least two questions here

1) Does the power change with changed tension?
2) Does the feel change with changed tension?

1) Poly's power changes very little compared to nylon based and nat gut strings. Pro Red Code seems to me to have about the same amount of pop when strung @50 (dropweight) on my LM Radical OS or @45 on my AG200. Same PRC power that I know to expect now, even on different racquets at different tensions. This can be seen as being very helpful for us. Some of the variables have been removed from the selection process when choosing a poly string. Topspin Cyber Blue showed similar qualities.

2) The feel can become much stiffer without much rise in tension. I wanted to state some numbers here, but because of the variety in characteristics of poly strings I decided it would be meaningless.

max pl 04-13-2013 07:13 AM

60lbs RPM Blast 17 here.

perfect setup for me.

mmk 04-13-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

When I used a Gamma dropweight, I started with the arm down, brought it up a bit above horizontal and rotated the clutch to take up the slack. I repeated this until the bar settled at horizontal. After a while I could judge how high to raise the bar, but it wasn't much. I'm using a crank now, and it is much easier to string poly with.

tlm 04-13-2013 09:57 AM

There is a point were I have found that multi's or syn. gut will really change as you go up in tension. It can completely board out with a 3 lbs. change if you are up at the higher range.

But with most poly strings even at higher tensions they will still have some life to them. So I could definitely understand not being able to tell much difference between 54+59 lbs.

But then again I like high tension so in the 50's is somewhat low to me. One thing that is not mentioned enough in these high vs low tension discussions is wether the player is using a 18 main or a 16 main racket.

When I was trying some 18 main rackets 55lbs. of full poly was plenty high enough to obtain the control that I like. But in a 16 main I will need at least 63-65 lbs. So we should really be comparing 2 different sets of ranges to be accurate.

Relinquis 04-13-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max pl (Post 7341419)
60lbs RPM Blast 17 here.

perfect setup for me.

sounds painful... pros are low 50s lbs or lower and most of the top ones hybrid with natural gut int he mains...

jgrushing 04-13-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

You do know that you need to load enough slack to allow the arm to get all the way to horizontal, right? This is true whether you're stringing multis, gut, poly or whatever. Poly is certainly more aggravating to string but can be strung accurately on a drop weight machine.

max pl 04-13-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7341804)
sounds painful... pros are low 50s lbs or lower and most of the top ones hybrid with natural gut int he mains...

oh so since the pros string lower, we all should too so we can play like em?

besides federer, most mens pros dont string that low anyway so youre wrong.
http://www.colinthestringer.com/pros-strings/

its mostly women who string low so they can get power.

tennis talk has way too many wannabees with bad recommendations. the whole 40 pound tension thread or whatever its called is a prime example.

and no, its not painful as i'm a man.

pvaudio 04-13-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max pl (Post 7341918)
oh so since the pros string lower, we all should too so we can play like em?

besides federer, most mens pros dont string that low anyway so youre wrong.
http://www.colinthestringer.com/pros-strings/

its mostly women who string low so they can get power.

tennis talk has way too many wannabees with bad recommendations. the whole 40 pound tension thread or whatever its called is a prime example.

and no, its not painful as i'm a man.

The industry "average" tension is either 55 to 60lbs for synthetics. This is the general middle range for listed racquet tensions. Poly manufacturers write directly on their packages to string 8-10% less than the tension you used for a synthetic. If we follow Signum Pro's advice, then that's 49.5lbs to 54lbs. So please, are you saying the entire poly industry minus a few who list their recommendations as an exception to the poly rule (see Dunlop Black Widow) that their recommendations are wrong?