Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   30 and over crowd still rocking..... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460650)

eurochris 04-13-2013 08:35 AM

30 and over crowd still rocking.....

Modern power hitting , baseline tennis ironically still shows us a place for crafty veterans over 30! Tommy Robredo, 2 weeks shy of 31, just beats in form Wawrinka in Casablanca. With success of Haas,Ferrer and of course Federer, tennis nowadays can be showcase for all thats good in athletic logevity.

Mainad 04-13-2013 09:25 AM

The 30 plusses are doing well.

Federer still ranked world #3.
Ferrer still ranked world #4 and still making Masters finals.
Haas taking out the world #1 in Miami.
Robredo taking out the guy who almost took out the world #1 at the AO.
Stepanek still helping his country to win the Davis Cup.

In tennis terms, maybe 30 is the new 20? :)

After all, most of the 20 year-olds still play like juniors! ;)

Relinquis 04-13-2013 11:25 AM

the 20 year olds need heavier sticks and to learn how to volley, am i right?!

axel89 04-13-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7341624)
The 30 plusses are doing well.

Federer still ranked world #3.
Ferrer still ranked world #4 and still making Masters finals.
Haas taking out the world #1 in Miami.
Robredo taking out the guy who almost took out the world #1 at the AO.
Stepanek still helping his country to win the Davis Cup.

In tennis terms, maybe 30 is the new 20? :)

After all, most of the 20 year-olds still play like juniors! ;)

notice how basically all of them are good volleyers esp steps and haas

mattennis 04-13-2013 11:40 AM

Tennis now is different.

The slowness of conditions + poly strings (that allow to impart more spin on the ball and so the shots are safer than before, baseline tennis easier than ever before) makes tennis now more of an endurance sport, with long to very long baseline exchanges 80% of the points.

Like it happens in marathon races, triathletes,....we will see more and more 30-something tennis players doing well in tennis from now on.

You may lose explosiveness of movement, reflexes, reaction time, recovery time... with age but not endurance. In fact you can endure more (if well trained) at 30-something than at 20-something.

Marius_Hancu 04-17-2013 11:24 AM

Niemenen just beat Raonic

Lukhas 04-17-2013 11:42 AM

Llodra for the doubles, DCup and fast seasons end year. Still a good doubles player.

Hitman 04-18-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel89 (Post 7341816)
notice how basically all of them are good volleyers esp steps and haas

This is likely because they had a significant time in their careers where the surfaces still played fast, and their was more variation. They would have required the need to approach the net more, and a lot of that is still ingrained into their games even today.

fps 04-20-2013 01:41 PM

Haas is a miraculous player. How he can still bring it at the level he does when he's fit I have no idea.

stringertom 04-20-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fps (Post 7356631)
Haas is a miraculous player. How he can still bring it at the level he does when he's fit I have no idea.

I agree but keep in mind even though he is three years younger than Fed, he has played nearly 300 less matches in his career. No one seeks to be injured but it has given Haas less "wear on the tires".

Relinquis 04-20-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 7356750)
I agree but keep in mind even though he is three years younger than Fed, he has played nearly 300 less matches in his career. No one seeks to be injured but it has given Haas less "wear on the tires".

believe me, with all of the surgeries on his shoulder an hip, he has a lot of "wear"... he plays smarter than most players and is an all court guy so the younger crew haven't seen his kind of game before...

stringertom 04-20-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7356787)
believe me, with all of the surgeries on his shoulder an hip, he has a lot of "wear"... he plays smarter than most players and is an all court guy so the younger crew haven't seen his kind of game before...

"Wear" is also mental...I think he's fresher mentally and therefore still hungry for the competition than he would be today if he hadn't had the numerous layoffs. Hats off to him for still chasing the dream!

ttwarrior1 04-21-2013 12:02 AM

if you notice, if you watch the nba there are players almost 40 now doing well and guys in baseball in there 40s, so why not tennis.

the players from years ago sometimes didnt take tourneys off like some are finally doing now. Plus the training , nutrition, smarts, etc.

I bet a few guys that retired young wish they just took some time off instead of retiring now

tipsa...don'tlikehim! 04-21-2013 01:05 AM

Berlocq

Rozroz 04-21-2013 02:59 AM

his neck clarifies he's turning into the Hulk. ^^^^^

TheTruth 04-21-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 7356750)

Haas is three years old than Federer.

TheTruth 04-21-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurochris (Post 7341534)
Modern power hitting , baseline tennis ironically still shows us a place for crafty veterans over 30! Tommy Robredo, 2 weeks shy of 31, just beats in form Wawrinka in Casablanca. With success of Haas,Ferrer and of course Federer, tennis nowadays can be showcase for all thats good in athletic logevity.

It's very nice to see.

stringertom 04-21-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 7359064)
Haas is three years old than Federer.

Yeah, that was my mistake in constructing the sentence...it wouldn't make any sense comparing the match count if he was younger. Thanks for catching my error!

stringertom 04-23-2013 01:31 AM

The other 30+ Tommy has an interesting challenge of a draw this week on his home courts...if Robredo wins vs Marc Lopez today, it sets up a match with Dimitrov. That winner should then be facing Berdych in a R16 battle. Getting through those would probably result in a match with the Raonic/Gulbis winner.

I'm laughing at the WSJ guy who called Barcelona "watered-down"!

Relinquis 04-23-2013 04:00 AM

he's a WSJ guy, they only know about the top brand names... i doubt they actually watch tennis apart from semis/finals involving the top 3 players.

there is a lot of high quality tennis played before that stage...