Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wilson six one 95 Pro Staff (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460695)

Terrytennis61 04-13-2013 08:15 PM

Wilson six one 95 Pro Staff

Just bought this amazing stick after I demoed it three times and man I love this thing!!! Amazing control!! Strung with luxilon big banger at 58 it brings the ball down just right. I'm a 4.5 base liner and so far been impressed! I used to use the ncode six one pro staff and loved it but this new stick puts the old one to shame!

BC1 04-15-2013 05:00 PM

I'm loving the pro staff 95 as well. Very surprised how easy it is to play with and I don't find it lacking in power like many reviews have said. Mine is strung with Lux Alu in the mains at 50 and NRG2 at 52 in the crosses. Great combination. Comfortable and control. Ive only been hitting with it for a few days so I admit I'm still on the honeymoon, but so far so good. And btw I'm just an upper 3.5 (4.0 on a good Day), so I encourage anyone at that level or up to give it a try. String setup is the key to making this racquet work on many levels.

v-verb 04-15-2013 06:08 PM

Add me to the believer list. Great sticks IMO

JackB1 04-16-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC1 (Post 7345692)
I'm loving the pro staff 95 as well. Very surprised how easy it is to play with and I don't find it lacking in power like many reviews have said. Mine is strung with Lux Alu in the mains at 50 and NRG2 at 52 in the crosses. Great combination. Comfortable and control. Ive only been hitting with it for a few days so I admit I'm still on the honeymoon, but so far so good. And btw I'm just an upper 3.5 (4.0 on a good Day), so I encourage anyone at that level or up to give it a try. String setup is the key to making this racquet work on many levels.

Hey BC! Still liking your VCore Xi98? I got a demo coming. I see you're selling your Instinct. What didn't u like about it?

About the BLX95...isn't that a 12 oz. racquet? I tried it once briefly and was surprised at how easily it swing for a 12 oz racquet. But I am currently trying to stay away from "players sticks" until my play improves. I am trying to make things easier on myself...especially with the brutal Atlanta summer coming :)

BC1 04-16-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7346638)
Hey BC! Still liking your VCore Xi98? I got a demo coming. I see you're selling your Instinct. What didn't u like about it?

About the BLX95...isn't that a 12 oz. racquet? I tried it once briefly and was surprised at how easily it swing for a 12 oz racquet. But I am currently trying to stay away from "players sticks" until my play improves. I am trying to make things easier on myself...especially with the brutal Atlanta summer coming :)

Jack,
VCore Xi98 and G Instinct - both are very good racquets. Nothing wrong with either of them. I'm not using them now only because I got the sickness that we all have. I played as good with them as I have any other racquet. But because I am a holic, I can always find something not to like. For example, the vcore xi98 looks started bothering me, head shape started to bug me (looks only) and the color of the deep red/maroon PJ. How is that for being superficial!? But I'm being honest. As far as the instinct, it's about as ridiculous... The very oval head shape was bothering me and the HEAD grip shape. All of this should and could be easily overlooked, but there's just too many racquets out there and neither of these excited me enough to give up the pd2012 or to stop looking. Both racquets seemed to be very good in all areas, but nothing stood out as being special.

The Wilson Prostaff 95 that I just got is 11.7 strung (.2 oz over spec - not too bad for a Wilson). It is approximately 7 pts HL strung. With over grip the static weight is 11.9 but the SW is definitely manageable and very manueverable. I would guess the SW is around 315-318. It only feels slightly "heavier" over the course of a match the all of the others I've been using. And I'm playing just as consistent, but feel like I'm playing "better" tennis. The pluses are I'm hitting some amazing angles and controlled targeted winners, and heavier shots. I wasn't getting this with the others and the feel is much better. It's got the control you would expect, but it is more forgiving then you would think, and because of the string job, the power is there - IF you swing at it. You can't just throw it out there and expect a winner - though it is possbible, just not as likely.

True the PS95 is not as "easy" as the tweeners, or say the 104, but I'm starting to believe it doesn't matter what I play with. Over the course of a match I seem to have the same end results. I may miss a few that I would have made with an easier racquet, but I make up for it with more control and unreturnable shots. I find myself getting lazy with the pd or tweeners, and i don't seem to fall into the same bad habits with PS95 (you can't). But I'm not saying I finally found "the one", I know myself way too well. But I can say it is a much better racquet, and easier to play with, then I imagined. And it's not just a "light players racquet". It really is unlike any racquet I have tried. BUT IF YOU TRY, I BELIEVE YOU MUST GO WITH LOW TENSION 48-50. AND A HYBRID SET-UP.

I would actually be curious how the PS95 stacks up with the TEC 315 16x19 that is getting all the attention lately. The specs are almost identical except for the slight difference in flex. The PS is a little stiffer so I would imagine a little more powerful and slightly easier, however the 315 has a 98in head. Makes me want one! Did you ever try the one you ordered?

Call me crazy, but I bet most players at our level can do equally well with ANY racquet from 10.5-11.7 ounces, 95-104 headsize, and SW 300-320. It comes down to personal preference and "believing" in the racquet. That translates into confidence - which is everything.

Tamiya 04-16-2013 10:47 AM

currently holding an Amplifeel BLX 6.1 PS95... owner swings flat & looking for more spin/bite

any advice on best poly - Rough or gear/angular better?

JackB1 04-16-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC1 (Post 7347004)
Jack,
VCore Xi98 and G Instinct - both are very good racquets. Nothing wrong with either of them. I'm not using them now only because I got the sickness that we all have. I played as good with them as I have any other racquet. But because I am a holic, I can always find something not to like. For example, the vcore xi98 looks started bothering me, head shape started to bug me (looks only) and the color of the deep red/maroon PJ. How is that for being superficial!? But I'm being honest. As far as the instinct, it's about as ridiculous... The very oval head shape was bothering me and the HEAD grip shape. All of this should and could be easily overlooked, but there's just too many racquets out there and neither of these excited me enough to give up the pd2012 or to stop looking. Both racquets seemed to be very good in all areas, but nothing stood out as being special.

The Wilson Prostaff 95 that I just got is 11.7 strung (.2 oz over spec - not too bad for a Wilson). It is approximately 7 pts HL strung. With over grip the static weight is 11.9 but the SW is definitely manageable and very manueverable. I would guess the SW is around 315-318. It only feels slightly "heavier" over the course of a match the all of the others I've been using. And I'm playing just as consistent, but feel like I'm playing "better" tennis. The pluses are I'm hitting some amazing angles and controlled targeted winners, and heavier shots. I wasn't getting this with the others and the feel is much better. It's got the control you would expect, but it is more forgiving then you would think, and because of the string job, the power is there - IF you swing at it. You can't just throw it out there and expect a winner - though it is possbible, just not as likely.

True the PS95 is not as "easy" as the tweeners, or say the 104, but I'm starting to believe it doesn't matter what I play with. Over the course of a match I seem to have the same end results. I may miss a few that I would have made with an easier racquet, but I make up for it with more control and unreturnable shots. I find myself getting lazy with the pd or tweeners, and i don't seem to fall into the same bad habits with PS95 (you can't). But I'm not saying I finally found "the one", I know myself way too well. But I can say it is a much better racquet, and easier to play with, then I imagined. And it's not just a "light players racquet". It really is unlike any racquet I have tried. BUT IF YOU TRY, I BELIEVE YOU MUST GO WITH LOW TENSION 48-50. AND A HYBRID SET-UP.

I would actually be curious how the PS95 stacks up with the TEC 315 16x19 that is getting all the attention lately. The specs are almost identical except for the slight difference in flex. The PS is a little stiffer so I would imagine a little more powerful and slightly easier, however the 315 has a 98in head. Makes me want one! Did you ever try the one you ordered?

Call me crazy, but I bet most players at our level can do equally well with ANY racquet from 10.5-11.7 ounces, 95-104 headsize, and SW 300-320. It comes down to personal preference and "believing" in the racquet. That translates into confidence - which is everything.

Hey thanks for the update on what's been going on with you :)
I have to say I TOTALLY AGREE with what you said about the racquet not making much difference at all. I have played with everything from a Dunlop 200 to a Red 105 and everything in between and can play pretty much my regular game with any of them. As long as the racquet isn't too heavy or too low powered, my game will be just like usual. I have also stayed with one racquet for as long as 6 month's and saw some improvement with the familiarity, but nothing game changing. I really only need a few days with a frame to get used to it completely. So frame choice should be mostly based on personal preference IMO. As long as you aren't playing with something totally out of your league or completely wrong for you.

tennis_enthusiast 04-16-2013 11:31 AM

Add me to the "clan". I picked up three within the last week and am really excited to play with them. What are you all stringing with?

BC1 04-16-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7347289)
Hey thanks for the update on what's been going on with you :)
I have to say I TOTALLY AGREE with what you said about the racquet not making much difference at all. I have played with everything from a Dunlop 200 to a Red 105 and everything in between and can play pretty much my regular game with any of them. As long as the racquet isn't too heavy or too low powered, my game will be just like usual. I have also stayed with one racquet for as long as 6 month's and saw some improvement with the familiarity, but nothing game changing. I really only need a few days with a frame to get used to it completely. So frame choice should be mostly based on personal preference IMO. As long as you aren't playing with something totally out of your league or completely wrong for you.

Yes, that's pretty mucch what I was trying to say in my way to long previous post, but now I'm wondering if it was all a bunch of bull. I just played for two hours with it. I was tired and sluggish to begin with (no sleep) plus its in the high 80s and feels like 100 with the humidity. Anyway I guess I'm making excuses but the play wasn't as successful or enjoyable asit was the last couple of times. Hopefully just an off day. I hope I just wasn't honeymooning with it!! I was still able to pull off some good shots and remain pretty consistent. Just nothing to brag about.

BC1 04-16-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_enthusiast (Post 7347331)
Add me to the "clan". I picked up three within the last week and am really excited to play with them. What are you all stringing with?

Lix alu power in the mains at 50 / Technifiber NRG2 in the crosses at 52.
Low tension is necesssry with the racquet Imo.

dgoran 04-17-2013 04:49 PM

I agree with bc1 it's awesome racquet that feels like pro stock. Stock needs low tension but if you lead it it feels even more flexible and comfy

oldcity 04-17-2013 08:00 PM

I just bought two, that's a first for me. Didn't like the demo at first but once I warmed up and got the feel for it was awesome. The control, the angles, that solid feel is sweet. Can't wait to try them out. I had strung with rpm/ biphase. 53/55. That thin box beam sliced through the air on the demo. Way more maneuverable than my pro open.

oldcity 04-19-2013 07:26 AM

ok..so its just us six. I cant stop looking as these things.They look like they were carved out of solid fiberglass. almost hate to use one on hard court and scratch it.
i think my demo was strung with wilson nxt @ mid tension but don't remember if it was tour or control. it felt nice, i just hate crooked strings. if I don't like my first setup i might try the wilson's and use silicone spray on the bed so they don't get stuck out of line.

YesTennis 04-19-2013 10:23 AM

Any string recommendations that you've found work with this racquet? Some of the TW playtesters found the racquet to be somewhat lower powered. Was thinking of trying one with gut/poly, or possibly full bed NXT Control. I'm not a string breaker and don't want to go full bed poly, also for arm health for a 50 yo.

BC1 04-19-2013 10:28 AM

Gut/Poly Hybrid or a Poly/Multi hybrid seem very good in this racquet. String low 48-52 and the power should be fine.

mats88 04-19-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 7354333)
Any string recommendations that you've found work with this racquet? Some of the TW playtesters found the racquet to be somewhat lower powered. Was thinking of trying one with gut/poly, or possibly full bed NXT Control. I'm not a string breaker and don't want to go full bed poly, also for arm health for a 50 yo.

You should definitely try Isospeed Control CLASSIC.
It's a multi (gut-like feeling). I string it 25/24 kg (it lose about 2 kg in 24 hours). It gives power for this low-powered frame. Decent control, enough spin and great pocketing effect. I love that string.

mats88 04-19-2013 11:50 AM

I spent much time to customize this frame! In my opinion it needs leather grip and some lead tape to achieve something like 348g strung, 31.5 cm balance and 320 SW at least. (mine was 312 SW originally). Don't be afraid about using lead tape! It makes difference :) Of course everyone needs something other.

This customization let me to get more depth especially. It's more maneuverable and better feel.

It's really amazing racquet. However I wait for better paint-job from the Wilson !

oldcity 04-19-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesTennis (Post 7354333)

You get out of it what you put in power wise. The main thing with the low swing weight is that you need racquet head speed. If you have a slower swing or you prefer heavy swing weight you may want to go with something else. I get nice power with a med fast swing and good timing. If I reach back a little more I can rip it. It not so low powered that can't flick one over from the baseline though. I like it this way. I'm not good enough to control extra power from the racquet. Poly should be on the low side. Something soft. I'm going to try bab rpm 17g in the mains at 53.

oldcity 04-21-2013 12:35 PM

Epic failure on the string combo I tried. Way too boardy, poor feel.couldnt get through the ball. I might have to cut this out of two sticks. Racquet seems unsuitable for poly. I used the same main string in a ps gt @ 56 with good results. I stuck on some lead at 12 and an og at the courts. Was a little better. It just takes away some of the flickability. It played great with the Wilson nxt demo. Seems to need a lot of weight in the hoop to get the poly to flex.

oldcity 04-25-2013 12:19 PM

got some multi...going to try one with prince premier attack16, one with wilson nxt 16 @ about 55. Hopefully i can get back to that demo bliss.