Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Old Pro Staff's - are they prone to breakage? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460833)

v-verb 04-15-2013 06:04 PM

Old Pro Staff's - are they prone to breakage?

Just wondering from obsessively poring through posts about vintage Pro Staffs including St. Vincents, and reading a couple of posts about broken PS's. Is there something in the construction that makes them weaker than other sticks?

I've got 2 St Vincents on the way and sold my TW Pro Staff, so wondering if I've made a bad move getting some vintage Pro Staffs as my main players.

EDIT: I'm quite sure I'll like the SV's. I'm just concerned they could be fragile and wondering what SV and other vintage PS players have found

So...looking forward to the stories!

mad dog1 04-15-2013 07:06 PM

whether it was a bad move is dependent on which stick you prefer. i personally like the TW reissued PS6.0 because it is a bit softer than my others so i would never sell my TW PSs. if you like the StV's more then it was a good move. and asking after you've already sold the TW stick is pointless now. might have been better to inquire before you sold it. :)

v-verb 04-15-2013 07:21 PM

Thanks for the reply mad dog1. I'm quite sure I'll like the SV's.

I'm just wondering if the SV's are prone to breaking after all those years of use. I edited my post to make that clearer

Bobby Jr 04-15-2013 07:50 PM

I don't think so. I'd say they're amongst the more tank-like of any composite frame ever made actually. They're really dense in their construction which is why they have that particular feel.

I've never broken one in over 25 years but have broken Prince Orig Graphite and Donnay Pro Ones on a couple of occasions. One of the Donnays even broke from a bad framing of the ball.

mad dog1 04-15-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7345909)
Thanks for the reply mad dog1. I'm quite sure I'll like the SV's.

I'm just wondering if the SV's are prone to breaking after all those years of use. I edited my post to make that clearer

depends on how much usage. the 9/10 you picked up here looks like it hasn't seen much usage at all so that should have plenty of life left. also, the PS are braided in construction so are very durable.

v-verb 04-16-2013 04:42 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ff#post6726864

This was the post that got me worried.

Anyhow thanks Mad Dog1. Will report back when I get my 2 Pro Staff SVs

Hannah19 04-29-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7345774)
Just wondering from obsessively poring through posts about vintage Pro Staffs including St. Vincents, and reading a couple of posts about broken PS's. Is there something in the construction that makes them weaker than other sticks?

I've got 2 St Vincents on the way and sold my TW Pro Staff, so wondering if I've made a bad move getting some vintage Pro Staffs as my main players.

EDIT: I'm quite sure I'll like the SV's. I'm just concerned they could be fragile and wondering what SV and other vintage PS players have found

So...looking forward to the stories!

Only the very early Belgium made PS 85's were fragile and basically so bad that a great percentage never left the factory because they were cracked during manufacturing. They were experimenting with the braided graphite/kevlar production process and the early models were far from perfect.

onehandbh 04-29-2013 03:40 AM

I've only played with the China, Taiwan and current TW one.
They don't seem to be more prone to breaking than other racquets.

I've only broken about 5 in the last 10 years. The K90's break more
often IMO. Broke two in two years. all broke at around 7 or 8 o'clock or
4 or 5 o'clock.

I think the key to reducing racquet breakage is to not hit overheads like a
madman. Just put it away. No need to go for maximum velocity.

Tonyr1967 04-29-2013 04:14 AM

Still have a couple of 20+ year old 6.0's in my bag - never broken one

v-verb 04-29-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah19 (Post 7375304)
Only the very early Belgium made PS 85's were fragile and basically so bad that a great percentage never left the factory because they were cracked during manufacturing. They were experimenting with the braided graphite/kevlar production process and the early models were far from perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7375312)
I've only played with the China, Taiwan and current TW one.
They don't seem to be more prone to breaking than other racquets.

I've only broken about 5 in the last 10 years. The K90's break more
often IMO. Broke two in two years. all broke at around 7 or 8 o'clock or
4 or 5 o'clock.

I think the key to reducing racquet breakage is to not hit overheads like a
madman. Just put it away. No need to go for maximum velocity.

Thanks Guys!

I picked up an early China PS on the weekend. Really beat up - some chunks missing but still solid. I'll use it for league play and not worry about digging balls off my shoelaces.

No worries about it breaking - seems very solid!

Smasher08 05-09-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7375356)
Thanks Guys!

I picked up an early China PS on the weekend. Really beat up - some chunks missing but still solid. I'll use it for league play and not worry about digging balls off my shoelaces.

No worries about it breaking - seems very solid!

The braided graphite construction on the PS85s means they can really take a beating. I used to use the MICs when I was a kid and they put up with a LOT of abuse, so you don't have anything to worry about. :)

v-verb 05-09-2013 08:33 AM

Thanks fellow T-dot er