Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pros and Cons of Donnay Pro One (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460870)

PhxRacket 04-16-2013 07:49 AM

Pros and Cons of Donnay Pro One

If you have used this in match play, please comment as to its pros and cons. I am looking into demoing rackets and this caught my interest on the spec level alone.

JackB1 04-16-2013 08:15 AM

Pros:
great impact feel - SOLID
arm friendly
lots of power and spin
nice plowthru

Cons:
balls sometimes fly due to power
head heavy feel while swinging
high-ish swingweight
poor paintjob quality (silver letters flake off)
gripsize little smaller than most

here is the biggest con of all: Donnay's specs are all over the map. Check the label on the throat. It tells you static weight, balance and flex (in that order. 90% of them have a higher than spec singweight.

ryydman 04-16-2013 08:47 AM

Great post by Jack. You missed one PRO however, the head heavy balance can be easily adjusted with some weight in the handle, i.e. the weight kit supplies 5g or 10g to put in the butt cap (separate purchase).

PhxRacket 04-16-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryydman (Post 7346783)
Great post by Jack. You missed one PRO however, the head heavy balance can be easily adjusted with some weight in the handle, i.e. the weight kit supplies 5g or 10g to put in the butt cap (separate purchase).

Have you played with the Blade 98 and the Pro One 16 x 19? If so, acknowledging that they aren't the same. How did they play in comparison? I ask because I currently play with a Blade 98, but was looking for something a little lighter and a little easier to be lazy with.

airdupont 04-16-2013 09:17 AM

Cons: The xenecore comes loose and the racquets make a very strange sound like something that's ripping which they don't see a manufacturing default. Very poor quality and even worse customer service. Was super happy with them at first but now....I'm switching!

JackB1 04-16-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryydman (Post 7346783)

true, but that adds a little sw.

JackB1 04-16-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxRacket (Post 7346825)
Have you played with the Blade 98 and the Pro One 16 x 19? If so, acknowledging that they aren't the same. How did they play in comparison? I ask because I currently play with a Blade 98, but was looking for something a little lighter and a little easier to be lazy with.

then forget the P1. The Blade 98 or the P1 are not racquets that you can be lazy with. They are both similar in sw and both feel very weighty in the head. I would suggest the Blade 104.

PhxRacket 04-16-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7346865)
then forget the P1. The Blade 98 or the P1 are not racquets that you can be lazy with. They are both similar in sw and both feel very weighty in the head. I would suggest the Blade 104.

Is that because it is your weapon of choice? Or is it really that good?

ryydman 04-16-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxRacket (Post 7346825)

The P1 and BLX Blade 98 both swing very hefty for their static weight, most P1's come in at a heavier swing weight than advertised on this site imo. The P1 16x19 is more powerful, in that sense one can be lazier in terms of taking a shorter, more compact swing but I find the Blade easier to swing than the P1 but my Blade is an L2 grip with 2 full grips + 1 overgrip so probably 20 grams extra in the handle...why don't you add 10 grams to the handle as this will make the racket 'whippier' and feel lighter?

Yaz 04-16-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7346714)
Pros:
great impact feel - SOLID
arm friendly
lots of power and spin
nice plowthru

Cons:
balls sometimes fly due to power
head heavy feel while swinging
high-ish swingweight
poor paintjob quality (silver letters flake off)
gripsize little smaller than most

I agree with this...on the Pro side I have also found it to be a great serving racquet, both for flat and kick. Good putaway power. I would say it suits an aggressive baseliner best.

However, I don't have great touch or feel with this racquet. A little more difficult to feather balls for drop volleys, short angle slices, etc. Touch was never a strong point of my game anyway so I gladly give that up for the power advantages.

JackB1 04-16-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxRacket (Post 7346882)
Is that because it is your weapon of choice? Or is it really that good?

Would I use it if it weren't "that good" ;)

That's like asking your waiter if the $35 menu "special" is "any good" :)

I suggested it because it is in fact "an easier to use Blade" that you can be a little lazy with.

ChicagoJack 04-16-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7346857)
true, but that adds a little sw.

Jack,

Hey my brother... no biggie, but I think you keep understanding, then forgetting again, that adding mass at the butt cap does not increase swingweight. I've explained it to you on several occasions, most recently around December of last year. And corners explained it to you just a few days ago in a more recent thread. The term swingweight has a very precise meaning. I think you either don't understand where the axis point to measure sw is located ... or you are co-opting the term and using it as inappropriate slang for a real tennis swing, which has several axis points.

-Other Jack

ChicagoJack 04-16-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxRacket (Post 7346661)
If you have used this in match play, please comment as to its pros and cons. I am looking into demoing rackets and this caught my interest on the spec level alone.

Hi PhxRacket,

There is pretty lengthy thread on the P1 here. Lots of great info.

-Jack

Readers 04-16-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdupont (Post 7346855)
Cons: The xenecore comes loose and the racquets make a very strange sound like something that's ripping which they don't see a manufacturing default. Very poor quality and even worse customer service. Was super happy with them at first but now....I'm switching!

Does anyone else has the same experience?

Can you please post their response to the issue?

JackB1 04-16-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJack (Post 7347992)
Jack,

Hey my brother... I think you keep understanding, then forgetting again, that adding mass at the butt cap does not increase swingweight. I've explained it to you on several occasions, most recently around December of last year.

-Other Jack

I don't want to debate something so trivial, but adding weight anywhere on the racquet adds static weight and depending on how much you add, will in fact increase the swingweight. Adding 5 grams has minimal impact, but the higher u go, the more impact you will have on swing weight. Now I am talking the actual swingweight the user will feel. A machine that holds the racquet at the end may not show the increase, but its certainly there. If you added one whole oz. of lead tape around the butt end of a racquet and compared it with the same racquet stock, you don't think the one with the extra oz. will "feel" heavier to swing?

ChicagoJack 04-16-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7348028)
I don't want to debate something so trivial, but adding weight anywhere on the racquet adds static weight and depending on how much you add, will in fact increase the swingweight. Adding 5 grams has minimal impact, but the higher u go, the more impact you will have on swing weight. Now I am talking the actual swingweight the user will feel. A machine that holds the racquet at the end may not show the increase, but its certainly there. If you added one whole oz. of lead tape around the butt end of a racquet and compared it with the same racquet stock, you don't think the one with the extra oz. will "feel" heavier to swing?

I give up.

JackB1 04-16-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJack (Post 7348033)
I give up.

Jack, there are many threads on these forums that echo the same thing I am saying. But don't worry about it, its all good. Real world swingweight and formula driven swingweight are two different things. If it was somehow possible to add 10 pounds to the butt end, you dont think swinging that racquet would be difficult?

The Dark Knight 04-17-2013 05:19 AM

Great stick .....it has pros in every area and only one con....

The racquet has more vibration than almost any racquet I have ever played with In my life . But other than that it's one of the greatest sticks I have ever tried.

jjs891 04-17-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7348485)

The racquet has more vibration than almost any racquet I have ever played with In my life . But other than that it's one of the greatest sticks I have ever tried.

I never noticed any excessive vibrations on mine. Actually they feel somewhat muted.

Is it due to loose xenecore that airdupont mentioned ?

JackB1 04-17-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7348485)

never noticed that at all. :confused::?

The Pro One is one of the sweetest feeling racquets around and also very arm friendly for such a powerful and semi-stiff racquet.