Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which is more durable Natural gut or multi/synthetic ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460886)

The Dark Knight 04-16-2013 11:25 AM

Which is more durable Natural gut or multi/synthetic ?

Does anyone know ?

Say Chi Sin Lo 04-16-2013 11:29 AM

Natural gut, it's not even close.

Durability and playable hours.

Lukhas 04-16-2013 11:31 AM

Durable in which sense? Holds tension better? Then natural gut feels fresh for a longer moment, very longer moment. That's why people still use it: nobody has found yet something that stays fresh as long as gut. More durable as the ability to take a beating on the court? Then s-gut is going to do better at this, thanks to its monofilament core that adds resistance. Not all multis though, since they tent to try to copy gut's proprieties. You have stuff like TGV (true multi with a tons of threads) all the way to XR3 (three cores of multi to be more durable), and so on. But in a hybrid they should hold longer.

The Dark Knight 04-16-2013 11:38 AM

Breakage wise....which one breaks quicker?

mikeler 04-16-2013 11:38 AM

For me full beds of natural gut last about as long as the most durable multis. Synthetic guts will snap after a few hours when I use them. The longest lasting setup I've found is gut mains with multi crosses. I've cut out one set of multi crosses out and put another in with no issues. The setup continues to perform well.

The Dark Knight 04-16-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7347346)
For me full beds of natural gut last about as long as the most durable multis. Synthetic guts will snap after a few hours when I use them. The longest lasting setup I've found is gut mains with multi crosses. I've cut out one set of multi crosses out and put another in with no issues. The setup continues to perform well.

Thanks.

Is multi the same as synthetic gut ?

scotus 04-16-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7347329)
Durable in which sense? Holds tension better? Then natural gut feels fresh for a longer moment, very longer moment. That's why people still use it: nobody has found yet something that stays fresh as long as gut. More durable as the ability to take a beating on the court? Then s-gut is going to do better at this, thanks to its monofilament core that adds resistance. Not all multis though, since they tent to try to copy gut's proprieties. You have stuff like TGV (true multi with a tons of threads) all the way to XR3 (three cores of multi to be more durable), and so on. But in a hybrid they should hold longer.

I disagree.

High-quality natural gut is far more durable than synthetic gut. For me, it usually lasts 3X to 4X as long as say Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex.

Of course, if you swing hard enough to snap a poly in an hour, then it won't make any difference whether you get natural or synthetic. But for most recreational players, natural gut would prove far more durable.

Gimmick 04-16-2013 11:44 AM

Don't believe the commentary from people who don't use both. If you put string savers in your contact point nat gut will easily outlast syn gut by months. I get 2 weeks of daily hitting with a poly hybrid. 2 months with full synthetic if I'm lucky. And I cut the gut out after about 6 months with string savers when it lasts that long.

Without string savers all bets are off. I use mostly klip legend but occasionally vs babolat.

I've been supprised to find that on my wood frames JK Autograph and Wilson Advantage the strings don't last any longer for me despite the flexiness and tighter pattern.

I am not a big spin hitter so everything I just said should be regarded in that context.

The Dark Knight 04-16-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7347351)
I disagree.

High-quality natural gut is far more durable than synthetic gut. For me, it usually lasts 3X to 4X as long as say Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex.

Of course, if you swing hard enough to snap a poly in an hour, then it won't make any difference whether you get natural or synthetic. But for most recreational players, natural gut would prove far more durable.

Wow really? Thanks ! I have played with psd in the past so that's a huge help. I'll give gut a try for sure!
Ll
I just bought a pack of babolat in 15L

mikeler 04-16-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7347349)
Thanks.

Is multi the same as synthetic gut ?

On this website, synthetic gut usually refers to a solid core string while multifilaments have sometimes several thousands of strands bundled together. I would expect gut/synthetic gut to not last quite as long since synthetic gut is stiffer and would probably saw into the gut more but I've never tried that combo.

The Dark Knight 04-16-2013 01:25 PM

What about the weather conditions....I heard gut snaps in humidity. I remember that back in the day I had gut in my racquet and they just popped while in my bag because it was too hot.

And the string job was top notch because roman prokes was the stringer.

Ever since then I have shyed away from gut because it was so temperamental .

This happened about 15 years ago.ni understand the technology is much better now? Babolat has that thermo whatever that supposed improves the durability?

mikeler 04-16-2013 02:11 PM

I've for Wilson gut 16 mains in my trunk. It has been close to 90 degrees everyday with a decent amount of humidity. No issues.

Rjtennis 04-16-2013 03:11 PM

Leaving it in the trunk on hot days isn't the best for gut so that just goes to show how far they have come with the coatings on high end gut. Gut really isn't that temperamental anymore if you are purchasing the quality stuff. Even stringing it is a breeze.

pvw_tf 04-16-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7347315)
Does anyone know ?

Hard to answer that question. There are several factors in play.
- Gauge
- Which gut
- Durable in Breakage of Keeping tension.

a 1.4 gut string will most likely last longer than a 1.2 Synthetic string.

Peter

The Dark Knight 04-16-2013 06:16 PM

Well I started looking into it.

I didn't realize that synthetic gut and multi were different things.

Synthetic gut is basically nylon .

While a multi is made of several different fibers.

I really don't think synthetic gut is a good name for it .

scotus 04-16-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7347481)
What about the weather conditions....I heard gut snaps in humidity. I remember that back in the day I had gut in my racquet and they just popped while in my bag because it was too hot.

And the string job was top notch because roman prokes was the stringer.

Ever since then I have shyed away from gut because it was so temperamental .

This happened about 15 years ago.ni understand the technology is much better now? Babolat has that thermo whatever that supposed improves the durability?

I had similar experience about 25 years ago. The expensive VS popped in under 30 minutes of normal play.

But the coating technology has vastly improved since then. It is amazing how resilient and durable high-quality gut is.

pvw_tf 04-17-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 7347915)
I really don't think synthetic gut is a good name for it .

Synthetic gut is just a name of a string if I am correct original from prince which became a general name for all sort of the same type of string from all brands.

Peter