Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Killing Creeping Charley (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460891)

max 04-16-2013 01:10 PM

Killing Creeping Charley

With last summer's drought, a good sized piece of lawn succumbed and it's now the Land of Creeping Charley.

Any good ideas on how to kill him off? I tried a borax solution which didn't dent it at all.

LuckyR 04-16-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7347458)
With last summer's drought, a good sized piece of lawn succumbed and it's now the Land of Creeping Charley.

Any good ideas on how to kill him off? I tried a borax solution which didn't dent it at all.

Are you going to put more lawn back in the same spot? Is it sunny or shady?

max 04-16-2013 03:31 PM

It's sunny with sandy soil. I'm up for tossing in grass seed and soil.

LuckyR 04-17-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7347721)
It's sunny with sandy soil. I'm up for tossing in grass seed and soil.

Do you have a problem using toxic chemicals? The easiest solution is use a broad spectrum herbicide, like the ubiquitous RoundUp, wait a while and replant the grass. Seed should work fine since it is sunny. Another option would be to use something like CrossBow which will kill the CC and leave the grass. You could then overseed or just hope the grass fills in (will work better if the grass isn't very thin).

If you want to go without chemicals, then you are left with two less optimal options: weed the CC out, not that hard to do but will kill your lawn, or try to tinker with the soil chemistry (most have poor luck with borax, you are seeking boron). The problem there is that you will get rid of the CC, but you don't want to make the ground hostile to other, desireable plants and boron will be difficult to remove.

max 04-18-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7349302)
Do you have a problem using toxic chemicals? The easiest solution is use a broad spectrum herbicide, like the ubiquitous RoundUp, wait a while and replant the grass. Seed should work fine since it is sunny. Another option would be to use something like CrossBow which will kill the CC and leave the grass. You could then overseed or just hope the grass fills in (will work better if the grass isn't very thin).

If you want to go without chemicals, then you are left with two less optimal options: weed the CC out, not that hard to do but will kill your lawn, or try to tinker with the soil chemistry (most have poor luck with borax, you are seeking boron). The problem there is that you will get rid of the CC, but you don't want to make the ground hostile to other, desireable plants and boron will be difficult to remove.

I love toxic chemicals. Got Roundup in the barn. Damn it's rainy in Illinois right now.

LuckyR 04-18-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7350918)
I love toxic chemicals. Got Roundup in the barn. Damn it's rainy in Illinois right now.

Despite it's reputation, RoundUp is not anywhere near as bad as older, less effective products. Rock on.

I only asked since you started with borax...

pinky42 04-18-2013 07:55 PM

The Vietnam war is over but you could try agent orange.