Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mystery String: What string did I hit with on Demo? Very rough, maybe square shape. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460895)

fmaddin 04-16-2013 01:33 PM

Mystery String: What string did I hit with on Demo? Very rough, maybe square shape.

I recently got a demonstrator from TW with really textured strings. I asked about them and they didn't exactly know what string was in the racquet. They said they thought it was either RPM Blast 17 or ISOSPEED Baseline Control String 16. Def not RPM Blast, Iíve used that.

They were black, thin (seemed 17g), and edges that seemed quite sharp. It seemed square and if I ran my finger across it, it would catch the skin like a knife edge. I donít see the ISOSPEED in anything but a reel, and I donít see people talking about it being crazy textured.

In searching for this string, Iíve tried Gamma Moto 17 and Solinco Tour Bite. Iíve tried a number of other rough strings in the past.

Any ideas? I'd imagine TW has to carry it since they did the stringing.

JackB1 04-16-2013 01:44 PM

You couldn't see any writing on the strings? Use a magnifier and a light and look near the frame where there is less wear. You could call back and try to talk to the stringers to find out. What racquet was it? If it was a Wilson, they often use Savage black in those.

bspitch1 04-16-2013 01:54 PM

Could it have been Dunlop Black Widow?

diredesire 04-16-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmaddin (Post 7347502)
I recently got a demonstrator from TW with really textured strings. I asked about them and they didn't exactly know what string was in the racquet. They said they thought it was either RPM Blast 17 or ISOSPEED Baseline Control String 16. Def not RPM Blast, Iíve used that.

They were black, thin (seemed 17g), and edges that seemed quite sharp. It seemed square and if I ran my finger across it, it would catch the skin like a knife edge. I donít see the ISOSPEED in anything but a reel, and I donít see people talking about it being crazy textured.

In searching for this string, Iíve tried Gamma Moto 17 and Solinco Tour Bite. Iíve tried a number of other rough strings in the past.

Any ideas? I'd imagine TW has to carry it since they did the stringing.

What was the brand/model of the frame? It's actually unlikely TW strung it. Their standard demo string (IIRC) is NXT (?) unless the manufacturer requests otherwise. Most of those non standard strings are customer strung :(

fmaddin 04-16-2013 02:04 PM

Wilson Blade 104. Was pretty soon after they came out. Looked like really new strings. I couldn't see any writing on it. My son has great eyes and couldn't find any.

I have not used Black Widow. Is it as described?

db10s 04-16-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmaddin (Post 7347556)
Wilson Blade 104. Was pretty soon after they came out. Looked like really new strings. I couldn't see any writing on it. My son has great eyes and couldn't find any.

I have not used Black Widow. Is it as described?

Yes, and Black Widow doesn't have any writing on it.

fmaddin 04-16-2013 02:31 PM

Perhaps mystery solved... Thanks!