Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   best combined men and womem era (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461112)

kiki 04-19-2013 12:09 AM

best combined men and womem era

There have been a few
The 20' s had big single stars but lacked some depth
The 30' s women not too great
The early 50 had great female but not as good on the male side
In turn the top men of late 50 are probably the best group but no women stars
Middle to end 60 had a great combination with Laver,Rosewall,Court,King,Bueno,Newk and Santana
It would continue the whole 70 with the addition of Borg,Connors,Vilas,Ashe,Nastase,Evert,Cawley and Navratiiva so the 70' s had it all and a great diversity of styles either men or women
1980 - 81 is a very very special period with the legendary quators of Borg,Mac,Connors,Lendl and Chris,Tracy,Martina and Hana with other greats like King,Jaeger,Cawley,Shriver,Vilas,Tanner,Gerulaitis ,Kriek
IMO this two years mark the pinnacle of tennis if we combine men and girls
The second half 80 were great at men and poor at ladies
But there is another great era in the early 90 with Becker,Edberg,AA,Pete, Courier as well as Graf,Seles,Sabatini,Sanchez and old Navy
Late 90-early 2000 instead had a great women era with Martina,Lindsay,Anna,Jenny and the young Williams but weak men field
In the last years it s been very competitive at both men&Women but no variety at all
So I take early 70, early 80 and early 90 as the best moments for great men& women tennis

BTURNER 04-19-2013 03:52 PM

you know I have absolutely nothing to add. You saw it right, and posted it right.

Its really hard to have great depth in both tours in years when most of the guys are drafted, and the women are taking whatever war related duties, that men can't. Or in times like the great depression, when entire continents have lost their economic base. That leaves huge holes in tennis history where there are three or four superstars - and then nothing.

Tennis history is interconnected with global history.

kiki 04-19-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTURNER (Post 7354815)
you know I have absolutely nothing to add. You saw it right, and posted it right.

Its really hard to have great depth in both tours in years when most of the guys are drafted, and the women are taking whatever war related duties, that men can't. Or in times like the great depression, when entire continents have lost their economic base. That leaves huge holes in tennis history where there are three or four superstars - and then nothing.

Tennis history is interconnected with global history.

True, tennis reflects society.What is your best choice for the greatest men and women combo'

BTURNER 04-19-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 7354858)
True, tennis reflects society.What is your best choice for the greatest men and women combo'

I am going with the mid 70's the top ten -15 rankings read like the the Hall of Fame rosters both men and women.

kiki 04-20-2013 01:58 PM

Evert,Navratilova,Austin,Mandlikova,Cawley,King,Ja eger,Shriver,Wade,Hanika,Turnbull,Ruzici,Jausovec and Borg,Connors,Mc Enroe,Lendl,Vilas,Gerulaitis,Tanner,Clerc,Kriek,No ah,Mayer,Pecci and a few more
Tennis at its richest variety indeed

fluffyyelloballz 04-20-2013 02:33 PM

I would go with 1990-1993
Women had Seles, Graf, Sabatini, Navratilova, Sanchez all in the mix
Men had Courier, Lendl, Edberg, Becker, Sampras, Agassi, Chang.

Harry_Wild 04-22-2013 01:21 AM

I think the 70s was the golden age of tennis for both sexes. Evert, Connors are the symbols of this for me!

PDJ 04-22-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry_Wild (Post 7360552)
I think the 70s was the golden age of tennis for both sexes. Evert, Connors are the symbols of this for me!

I would agree with mid 70s to early 80s when combining both genders