Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Extended length racquet = PAIN (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461192)

miami 04-19-2013 06:59 PM

Extended length racquet = PAIN

I am an NTRP 5.0 player, trying to transition to the 2013 Babolat AeroPro Drive Plus (27.5"), however I consistently have pain in my shoulder after only an hour of hitting. If you look at the reviews for other extended length racquets, such as the Babolat Pure Storm 27.5" there are similar comments from feedback.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback-BPSTRP.html

Any advice on making a successful switch? I'm currently playing with the standard length Babolat APD 2013, however the plus version suits me better with every avenue.

I'm very physically built, which makes it more frustrating. It's rotator cuff pain and I know it's physics. Anyone go through something similar?

miami 04-19-2013 07:00 PM

Sara Errani and David Ferrer all use extended length. I know Ferrer's racquet is 28".

Frustrating, because like I said, I'm very physically built and my shoulder is big. Feliciano Lopez is also extended length. Juan Monaco 27.5"

BreakPoint 04-19-2013 07:15 PM

Extended length racquets cause greater torque on your arm/shoulder when you hit the ball (T = F x d), and they also have higher swingweights (all else being equal) so they put more stress on your shoulder.

v-verb 04-19-2013 07:42 PM

Extended length increases swing weight substantially.

I used Prince RipSticks (29") for years with no problems until I strung with poly string. That caused a wrist injury which lasted over 6 months.

I would suggest you actually tailweight the stick so you don't have so much weight on the head. It might actually help the strain on your shoulder.

I tailweight my Pro Staffs which are 360 + gram sticks and they swing even easier because they become more headlight

esgee48 04-19-2013 08:28 PM

SW in the mid 330's is not that bad (or should not be for a 5.0); however, the SW for the standard APD is in the mid 320's. Make an effort to hit more in front to reduce stress on the shoulder.

Tail weighing the racquet will not reduce SW. It will move the COM closer to your hand and make the racquet feel like it is coming around faster. If you truly want to reduce SW, then look for another racquet such as the Pro Kennex or look into mods of the bumper guard. If you punch/drill out 3 grams in the bumper guard, your SW will drop into the mid 320's. HTH.

v-verb 04-19-2013 08:33 PM

esgee48 said it better than I did. Use his suggestions but try tailweighting it as well

mikeler 04-20-2013 03:25 AM

I'd suggest a standard length racket for anyone with arm pain.

Bobs tennis 04-20-2013 05:12 AM

General question-I have a 27.25" frame in my bunch-Is that really that different then the other 27" frames that I'm using??

movdqa 04-20-2013 05:49 AM

Some of the 100s are a little bit longer to move the sweet spot back up to where it is on smaller racquets so it may not make much of a difference depending on what you usually play with.

Most XLs that I see at the Pro level are just a little longer than 27 inches, typically around 27.5 inches. It's fairly difficult finding stuff at 28 inches and up unless you buy uncut hairpins.

miami 04-20-2013 10:31 AM

Appreciate all of the responses very much, v-verb I respectfully disagree about modifying the racquet. It might help marginally however it would be at an unwanted cost.

My physio e-mailed me from my home state in Ohio and he suggested using the racquet until I reach a fatigue point, and then going back to the regular APD. He also suggested strengthening rotator cuff, scapula, and overall shoulder using exercises at the gym.

To be fair, I never work-out in the gym which is why I'm probably a 5.0 and not any higher. All I do is running for my conditioning.

Any other thoughts, please feel free to write.

v-verb 04-20-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miami (Post 7356311)
Appreciate all of the responses very much, v-verb I respectfully disagree about modifying the racquet. It might help marginally however it would be at an unwanted cost.

My physio e-mailed me from my home state in Ohio and he suggested using the racquet until I reach a fatigue point, and then going back to the regular APD. He also suggested strengthening rotator cuff, scapula, and overall shoulder using exercises at the gym.

To be fair, I never work-out in the gym which is why I'm probably a 5.0 and not any higher. All I do is running for my conditioning.

Any other thoughts, please feel free to write.

Hey Miami!

Hope it works out for you. As for the cost of tailweighting the racquet, you can get lead tape for $3 or $4. Not a lot of money. Helped me swing the racquet much easier.

Check out the article in TW blogs http://blog.tenniswarehouse.com/misc...l-wag-the-dog/

I would follow our Physio's suggestion of working out though. Cheap insurance against injury.

Anyhow take care and keep us posted please

Cheers

tmc5005 04-21-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7355152)
Extended length racquets cause greater torque on your arm/shoulder when you hit the ball (T = F x d), and they also have higher swingweights (all else being equal) so they put more stress on your shoulder.

I agree. Also as far as I know, David Ferrer uses the PRINCE EXO3 Tour 100 16x18 Tennis Racquet, which is a standard length racquet.

mikeler 04-21-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmc5005 (Post 7357549)
I agree. Also as far as I know, David Ferrer uses the PRINCE EXO3 Tour 100 16x18 Tennis Racquet, which is a standard length racquet.

People in the know say he uses an older Ozone Tour that has been extended to 28".

movdqa 04-21-2013 07:43 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=ferrer&page=2

There's a quote from Brad Gilbert on 28.5 inches. The guesstimates are that his swingweight is north of 360.

Kenzik 04-21-2013 11:29 AM

Did you add lead to the head? I did that and felt pain for a short while. After removing the lead, the racquet plays normally.