Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Nadal's dominance on clay ends in 2013 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461282)

tennis_pro 04-21-2013 06:53 AM

Nadal's dominance on clay ends in 2013

NOW let's see what Rafa does when he doesn't have Monte Carlo under his belt. Ouch, that loss has got to hurt having won 8 times in a row!

eliars 04-21-2013 06:57 AM

How is it going to hurt? His confidence? I don't think it is considering his recent clay form, but only time will tell. An eight time winning streak at a tournament is ridiculous to begin with. Streaks don't last forever.

One thing is for sure it just made the CC season a lot more interesting.

Mike Sams 04-21-2013 06:57 AM

Nadal has to lose the FO in order for his clay dominance to be ended. To be honest.

Ralph 04-21-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliars (Post 7358323)
How is it going to hurt? His confidence? I don't think it is considering his recent clay form, but only time will tell. An eight time winning streak at a tournament is ridiculous to begin with. Streaks don't last forever.

One thing is for sure it just made the CC season a lot more interesting.

I agree with it becoming more interesting for this season.

His confidence has been hurt prior today IMO, else he wouldn't have made the mistakes he did in that tie breaker. He's feeling pressure more now, as he did in 2011.

Mustard 04-21-2013 06:59 AM

Nadal has lost one of the biggest heartlands in his clay empire. Will he respond elsewhere? We'll have to wait and see.

DropShotArtist 04-21-2013 06:59 AM

If djoker can stay healthy the only guy that can help Nadal is Federer. Fed's the only guy who has a chance against Djoker on clay.

Mustard 04-21-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropShotArtist (Post 7358351)
If djoker can stay healthy the only guy that can help Nadal is Federer. Fed's the only guy who has a chance against Djoker on clay.

Oh, for goodness sake. Take a look at Nadal's clay-court record.

DropShotArtist 04-21-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 7358379)

I just see a big loss at his best tournament. Almost bageled :)

Relinquis 04-21-2013 07:11 AM

He just had a slow start where he wasn't hitting with depth the first set. 2nd set was pretty much on his racquet, apart from a bad final game and tie breaker.

Nothing to worry about long term. These things happen in a best of three match.

eliars 04-21-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph (Post 7358346)
I agree with it becoming more interesting for this season.

His confidence has been hurt prior today IMO, else he wouldn't have made the mistakes he did in that tie breaker. He's feeling pressure more now, as he did in 2011.

The errors in the breaker were obviously down to nerves. I don't think these nerves stem from playing Djokovic, but speaks more towards Rafa not having regained his form of old on clay; his 'muscle memory' (or overall awareness of how to play points) in various situations (crucially as well) seems to not quite be there.

The other day I spoke of how Rafa hasn't looked like his old self on clay after his comeback. Going for more winners, committing more unforced errors and how they are probably related to how he's been trying to alter his game (being more aggressive)

Obviously Djokovic causes these tight situations by playing so well, so Djokovic is of course involved in one way or another.

kalyan4fedever 04-21-2013 07:14 AM

Will fed come to rescue nadal at RG this time around needs to be seen

Mustard 04-21-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliars (Post 7358452)
The other day I spoke of how Rafa hasn't looked like his old self on clay after his comeback. Going for more winners, committing more unforced errors and how they are probably related to how he's been trying to alter his game (being more aggressive)

That's good for playing on hardcourts. He didn't need to change anything on clay, because patience and consistency are the most important things, not aggression.

monfed 04-21-2013 07:16 AM

Premature thread. Ralph is still a lock for Rome and RG and a big favourite for Madrid.

Edgecrusher 04-21-2013 07:16 AM

@ Ralph

What a great avatar. Nice sense of humour :-)

kishnabe 04-21-2013 07:16 AM

Nadal played his best ClayCourt tennis in the 2012 Final....he was just destroying the ball. If he can bring that....Novak is out.

Tenez101 04-21-2013 07:17 AM

Nadal better hope his BFF Federer is in Djoker's half at RG.

Feather 04-21-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 7358379)

He is trolling, why do you respond to such obvious troll posts and waste your time ?

tennis_pro 04-21-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monfed (Post 7358478)
Premature thread. Ralph is still a lock for Rome and RG and a big favourite for Madrid.

The only tournament Nadal was a lock for was Monte Carlo, now that he has lost there he ain't a lock anywhere.

I can actually see Federer coming back fresh for Madrid, he has always done great there, Djokovic will be there as well.

iriraz 04-21-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenez101 (Post 7358486)
Nadal better hope his BFF Federer is in Djoker's half at RG.

And if Nadal(seeded 5) gets in the same quarter as Djokovic then...?

tennis_pro 04-21-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 7358460)
Will fed come to rescue nadal at RG this time around needs to be seen

Probably. Watch Nadal draw Gasquet in his quarter, Ferrer (who is going to beat Murray) in the SF and Federer (who plays godly and takes out Djokovic in the other half) in the F.

The usual stuff, yes.