Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Was this Djokovic 2.5 today? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461299)

Mike Sams 04-21-2013 08:57 AM

Was this Djokovic 2.5 today?

In some spots, he was redlining. Totally in the zone and relentless. Looked seriously in scary form and forcing Nadal to hit errors. Nadal was losing the baseline rallies percentage (rallies over 10 shots) by a considerable margin...at Monte Carlo of all places! :shock:

Ledigs 04-21-2013 08:58 AM

he went for it

Clarky21 04-21-2013 08:59 AM

Sure was. 25 winners to 22 unforced errors is the best he has EVER played. Nothing even comes remotely close to dominance like that.

tennis_pro 04-21-2013 08:59 AM

It was Djokovic 1,7. Nadal was below his best, though.

Mike Sams 04-21-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7358918)
Sure was. 25 winners to 22 unforced errors is the best he has EVER played. Nothing even comes remotely close to dominance like that.

This is clay, lest you forget. The whole point of clay is to grind.

Hitman 04-21-2013 09:03 AM

Both have played much higher quality matches against each other. I still think their Miami 2011 final clash was the best non slam match I have seen between them. Closely followed by that epic in Madrid in 09.

NatF 04-21-2013 09:03 AM

For the first 5 games maybe it was Djokovic 2.0 perhaps.

sbengte 04-21-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7358919)
It was Djokovic 1,7. Nadal was below his best, though.

Agree. 1.9 in the first set, 1.5 in the second. Averaging to 1.7 through the match.

kalyan4fedever 04-21-2013 09:08 AM

Novak thrives on momentum and pace , so he is a good match up against nadal...but nadal clearly is not his best today

monfed 04-21-2013 09:13 AM

Nah he was about 1.5-1.7ish imo, was still good enough to beat peak Ralph. Not bad. :)

Rocky89 04-21-2013 09:13 AM

If it had been Djokovic 2.5 the score would have been 6-0 6-0.

ark_28 04-21-2013 09:19 AM

I think Djokovic is a tad better than a 2.5 somehow ;)

Relinquis 04-21-2013 09:53 AM

not 2.5 (or whatever internet-ism you feel like using)...

Nadal was hitting short during the entire first set. Was tense and that's why he was attackable. Once he started getting loose and hitting deep, Novak could only retrieve balls and hope for errors. Still finds it difficult to deal with such a heavy ball.

The match was on Rafa's racquet. Novak was pretty consistent throughout, but didn't do anything new or remarkable that he hasn't done in the past, the only issue was Nadal being uncharacteristically tight in the first set and then again at the tie break of the 2nd set.

papertank 04-21-2013 09:56 AM

This was close to the best I've ever seen Djokovic play, I couldn't name you a match where he played better.

He was relentlessly aggressive, every shot he hit tipped the point further in his favor. He painted lines left and right, the precision in his shots was jaw dropping.

But just as impressive as his offense was his defense. It was immaculate, everything Rafa hit he got back with interest, forcing Rafa to go for more and more.

NO ONE could have beaten Djokovic today.

djokovic2008 04-21-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7359073)
not 2.5 (or whatever internet-ism you feel like using)...

Nadal was hitting short during the entire first set. Was tense and that's why he was attackable. Once he started getting loose and hitting deep, Novak could only retrieve balls and hope for errors. Still finds it difficult to deal with such a heavy ball.

The match was on Rafa's racquet. Novak was pretty consistent throughout, but didn't do anything new or remarkable that he hasn't done in the past, the only issue was Nadal being uncharacteristically tight in the first set and then again at the tie break of the 2nd set.

Erm he hit 25 winners on a clay court which is more than just consistent, and he does not have problems with a heavy ball where do you get this stuff from really.

sdont 04-21-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbengte (Post 7358937)
Agree. 1.9 in the first set, 1.5 in the second. Averaging to 1.7 through the match.

I'd say it was at least 2.2 in the penultimate game of the match.

DropShotArtist 04-21-2013 10:22 AM

They were both about the same off of their peak levels, hence the scoreline.

Relinquis 04-21-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djokovic2008 (Post 7359084)
Erm he hit 25 winners on a clay court which is more than just consistent, and he does not have problems with a heavy ball where do you get this stuff from really.

he got a lot of short balls from nadal, which is where the great majority of those winners come from. also, nadal wasn't serving well.

it's clear to anyone who watched the match without NoleGoggles on that he gets on defense against Nadal when Nadal is hitting with depth (i.e. a heavy ball) rather than short balls. The 2nd set had numerous examples of this difference when compared to the first set where Rafa was hitting mostly short balls... hence the dramatic difference in scorelines between teh sets. This was also clear in RG when rain had caused Rafa to hit with less spin and depth (i.e. less heavy ball).

What do you attribute the difference between the two sets to? also, did you watch the full match?

Mainad 04-21-2013 10:26 AM

Not sure if he's at 2.5 yet but it was certainly as good as anything he produced in 2011 IMO so 2.0 is definitely back for sure. At least for this match anyway.

djokovic2008 04-21-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7359165)
he got a lot of short balls from nadal, which is where the great majority of those winners come from. also, nadal wasn't serving well.

it's clear to anyone who watched the match without NoleGoggles on that he gets on defense against Nadal when Nadal is hitting with depth (i.e. a heavy ball) rather than short balls. The 2nd set had numerous examples of this difference when compared to the first set where Rafa was hitting mostly short balls... hence the dramatic difference in scorelines between teh sets. This was also clear in RG when rain had caused Rafa to hit with less spin and depth (i.e. less heavy ball).

What do you attribute the difference between the two sets to? also, did you watch the full match?

I watched it alright and obviously Nadal raised his level with more depth but even with the depth Djoker hit agressive and especially towards the end hit through Nadal like for the final point of the match where Djoker hit a winner from BEHIND the baseline did you see that?