Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Speaking of records.. winning slams for 9 consecutive years (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461344)

Fiji 04-21-2013 05:03 PM

Speaking of records.. winning slams for 9 consecutive years

No man was able to win slams for 9 consecutive years in the open era.

Borg couldn't
Sampras couldn't
Federer couldn't(if the Slam King couldn't do it shows how hard it is)

All of them did it for 8 consecutive years

Nadal most likely won't and will see the streak stop at 8 consecutive years as well.

tudwell 04-21-2013 05:14 PM

I want to see how the rest of the clay season plays out before I make predictions about the French. Until further notice, I will continue to consider Nadal the favorite, with Djokovic not far behind. If Nadal doesn't win the French, I could definitely see him going slamless this season. He rides his own momentum and confidence so much that I can't see him nabbing Wimbledon just a couple weeks after losing his pet trophy, and his chances at the U.S. Open are slimmer than at either of the other slams.

If I had to guess, though, I'd say he beats the record.

Clay lover 04-21-2013 05:18 PM

I'd say people are giving Nadal less chances than he has in reality.

He is still the man to beat after Djokovic. If, and that's a big IF, Djokovic goes down to anyone else, then Nadal will have a great chance, just like in 2011, when he made a record number of finals in majors and masters combined, only to go down to Djokovic in almost every one of them.

veroniquem 04-22-2013 12:21 AM

That's true. Nadal is trying to break the record this year by winning slams 9 seasons in a row. Good luck to him! He has the record in masters: 9 years in a row.

MichaelNadal 04-22-2013 12:24 AM

Rafa will bag a major this year I think.

Feather 04-22-2013 12:50 AM

Rafa is more of a favorite to win RG than Djokovic in my opinion. Djokovic is yet to beat Rafa there, that's a point that cannot be overlooked. Secondly Rafa is better against the field than Djokovic is against the field. The chances of Rafa losing before RG final is very less while that's not the case with Djokovic. Roger took him out in 2011 while Seppi played five setters with him in 2012 and on top of that Tsonga was on match points against Djokovic in last year RG.

Goosehead 04-22-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather (Post 7360577)
Rafa is more of a favorite to win RG than Djokovic in my opinion. Djokovic is yet to beat Rafa there, that's a point that cannot be overlooked. Secondly Rafa is better against the field than Djokovic is against the field. The chances of Rafa losing before RG final is very less while that's not the case with Djokovic. Roger took him out in 2011 while Seppi played five setters with him in 2012 and on top of that Tsonga was on match points against Djokovic in last year RG.

nadal isn't as good as he was before his injury, he nearly lost to dimitrov before he was destroyed by djokovic at his own pet tourney.

Fiji 04-22-2013 06:38 AM

Navratilova won slams for 7 consecutive years.
Graf won slams for 10 consecutive years.
Evert won slams for 13 consecutive years.

RF20Lennon 04-22-2013 06:41 AM

I still think nadal is a fav for RG this year. But i think now that murray has upped his game in the grass. If nadal and murray meet at wimby id pick murray.

Fiji 04-22-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF20Lennon (Post 7360992)
But i think now that murray has upped his game in the grass. If nadal and murray meet at wimby id pick murray.

Agree.

10 char.

tennis_pro 04-22-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNadal (Post 7360558)
Rafa will bag a major this year I think.

You can be more precise than that.

kishnabe 04-22-2013 08:11 AM

No RG....No Record.

tennis_pro 04-22-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7360553)
That's true. Nadal is trying to break the record this year by winning slams 9 seasons in a row. Good luck to him! He has the record in masters: 9 years in a row.

He also had 8 MC's in a row before going down to Djokovic. His streak ends this year.

spinovic 04-22-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7361157)
No RG....No Record.

I agree. I don't see him winning Wimbledon or US Open. If he doesn't win RG this year, his chances of catching Sampras' at 14 slams gets really iffy and his chances of catching Roger at 17 are all but gone, IMO.

Unless he surprises us all and forsakes his first love and dominates the HC's to spite the ATP for making him play on them. :twisted: