Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   HEAD CAP Grommet installation (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461371)

boinz 04-22-2013 12:53 AM

HEAD CAP Grommet installation

hi guys,

I tried search but it didnt give me much info so I thought I had to start a new thread.... I am trying to do a number of frame matching at home for my Prestiges and I need to remove and then re-install a few CAP grommets

May I know what tools are needed for this? I gathered so far an awl is needed... what else? Is there any equipment commonly found at home that I can use?

fyi, I do not string my own rackets so I do not have any stringing tools nor I am very familiar with all of them but I am willing to learn :oops:

Lakers4Life 04-22-2013 01:48 AM

I'm assuming when you mean "re-installing" you mean installing NEW grommets. From my experience, once the racket has been strung, the grommets get flared and you can't reinstall it easily.

When installing new grommets, all you need is an awl or a couple of awls of varying sizes. A hair dryer is sometimes helpful, to soften the grommet to be able to stretch it a bit and to help remove the old grommet.

As for installing grommets, it's pretty straight forward. Align the grommet to the corresponding holes. Starting from the middle top is easiest. This video from YULitle (Mike), will show you some of the techniques. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4bH7T9sds

Good Luck

Irvin 04-22-2013 02:39 AM

Unless you really know what you want for weight and balance I would not take the grommets off to match them up. Just place the weight on the inside.

You should not have just any kid with a stringer string your matched frames. When stringing a frame it is very common for a frame to come off the stringer either longer or shorter than it was when it went OM. If you match two 27" frames and they come back at different lengths when string they will no longer be matched.

CAP grommets run from the bottom near the throat to top center of the frame. If you start at the top center it will be extremely difficult to put in the longer grommets near the throat at the end. Start at the bottom and work up to the top.

If it were me I would place the lead tape on the inside of the frame and not under the grommets until I found out exactly what I wanted. You can't just take the grommets off move the tape around and put them back on you need to replace them every time.

Dags 04-22-2013 01:22 PM

If you are trying to re-use the grommets, first rule:

- either have a new set on standby, or
- have enough time to order a new set

I've had some success getting CAPs back on, but it very much depends on how old they are (the length of time they've been installed can make them less pliable), and how flared the tie-offs have become. Provided they're not too flared, you may be able to pinch them back into shape.

If you're just trying to sneak some lead under the top of the hoop, consider just peeling back the top half of the grommets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7360622)
Starting from the middle top is easiest.

For most grommets, I am in full agreement with Lakers. For CAPs, I always start at the throat. The longer grommets are the hardest to align, and because CAPs are in two halves, the middle of the top is actually where they meet.

Lakers4Life 04-22-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 7361868)
For most grommets, I am in full agreement with Lakers. For CAPs, I always start at the throat. The longer grommets are the hardest to align, and because CAPs are in two halves, the middle of the top is actually where they meet.

It's been while since I've replaced cap grommets and can't exactly recall how I got them in.:?

boinz 04-23-2013 04:29 AM

thanks guys for all the inputs

yes i got a few spares on the side. And I was really trying to achieve here:
first racket, to install brand new CAPs TK237 which are lighter than the older TK52 ones
and
second racket, to hide the lead tapes I got inside the hoop to under the CAP (re-using if I can)

so guess the trick is patience and work from the throat up with a small thin straight awl... right to far?

diredesire 04-23-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boinz (Post 7362837)
thanks guys for all the inputs

yes i got a few spares on the side. And I was really trying to achieve here:
first racket, to install brand new CAPs TK237 which are lighter than the older TK52 ones
and
second racket, to hide the lead tapes I got inside the hoop to under the CAP (re-using if I can)

so guess the trick is patience and work from the throat up with a small thin straight awl... right to far?

Sure, but Irvin's right, here: If you are in the beginning phases of matching and experimentation, it makes VERY LITTLE sense to put weight under the CAPs. Any time you want to make a change you'll have to remove them, and then run the risk of not being able to get the CAPs back on. Don't remove them at all right now until you've fine tuned and perfected your process/specs.

As far as grommets and repair, check this thread out. VERY cool method to have in your "toolbox" as it were:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=370677

Irvin 04-23-2013 10:28 AM

DD I couldn't agree more. Even if you want to change out one heavier CAP grommet for another why doit is if you are just adding lead tap back on? Find the total weight, balabnce, and swing weight you want first and go on from there.

diredesire 04-23-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7363519)
DD I couldn't agree more. Even if you want to change out one heavier CAP grommet for another why doit is if you are just adding lead tap back on? Find the total weight, balabnce, and swing weight you want first and go on from there.

Of course you agree -- I agreed with you first ;)