Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Best String Lubricant Is... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461625)

db10s 04-24-2013 02:03 PM

The Best String Lubricant Is...

I went out and tried some various string lubricants. I ranked them below. Note: all tests were performed on Dunlop Ice with various stages of wear in a Biomimetic MAX 200G. I found RemOil and PTFE spray to perform so similarly that I grouped them together.

Overall Performance

1.RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray.

2. Armor All (Original)

3. Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)

4. Vaseline Moisturizing Lotion

5. Baby Oil

Best Initial Performance

1. Olive Oil

2. RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray.

3. Armor All

4. Baby Oil

5. Lotion

Best Long Term Performance

1. RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray.

2. Armor All

3. Lotion

4. Baby Oil

5. Olive Oil

Summary

RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray: Stays on and offers great performance.

Armor All: Offered great performance but I found that it didn't stay on as well.

Lotion: No crazy spin but it lasted longer than I expected.

Olive Oil: Scary spin for the first 5 minutes.

Baby Oil: Spin was alright but the durability wasn't

Roger Wawrinka 04-24-2013 02:25 PM

Nice thread! I would agree with all of them.

hyperion99 04-24-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7366020)
I went out and tried some various string lubricants. I ranked them below. Note: all tests were performed on Dunlop Ice with various stages of wear in a Biomimetic MAX 200G. I found RemOil and PTFE spray to perform so similarly that I grouped them together.

Overall Performance

1.RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray.

2. Armor All (Original)

3. Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)

4. Vaseline Moisturizing Lotion

5. Baby Oil

Best Initial Performance

1. Olive Oil

2. RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray.

3. Armor All

4. Baby Oil

5. Lotion

Best Long Term Performance

1. RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray.

2. Armor All

3. Lotion

4. Baby Oil

5. Olive Oil

Summary

RemOil with teflon (Gun Oil) and PTFE spray: Stays on and offers great performance.

Armor All: Offered great performance but I found that it didn't stay on as well.

Lotion: No crazy spin but it lasted longer than I expected.

Olive Oil: Scary spin for the first 5 minutes.

Baby Oil: Spin was alright but the durability wasn't

Great thread.
Just curious how does the olive oil feel in long term?
Thanks

polytheist 04-24-2013 02:53 PM

How do you apply the PTFE spray without hitting the frame? Lubricants that touch the frame make my lead tape peel.

Torres 04-24-2013 02:56 PM

Performance of these lubricants only last for a set or so, and they do not restore the string to its original freshly strung condition.

They also gunk up the balls. Olive oil is just nasty for tennis balls.

Definitely not the nivarna that people are trying to suggest.

polytheist 04-24-2013 03:02 PM

It's still cool to see the bewilderment of opponents. What happened to these balls?

Least gunky is PTFE spray?

Torres 04-24-2013 03:12 PM

PTFE spray is gunky as well.

All oils whether gun oil, olive oil, baby oil are going to be gunky and attract dirt.

I have to admit that I've not convert to this lubricant stuff. Between this and a fresh string job, I'd have a fresh string job everytime.

corners 04-24-2013 03:20 PM

Composition of Rem Oil looks to be very similar to WD40. I can't recall the reason why, but someone who sounded like he knew what he was talking about said that WD40 is not a good thing to put on plastics like copoly.

corners 04-24-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7366169)
PTFE spray is gunky as well.

All oils whether gun oil, olive oil, baby oil are going to be gunky and attract dirt.

I have to admit that I've not convert to this lubricant stuff. Between this and a fresh string job, I'd have a fresh string job everytime.

Well, yeah, of course everyone would prefer a fresh string job. I think the point is just trying to get longer performance out of strings.

db10s 04-24-2013 03:30 PM

The olive oil didn't last very long at all....

I think the long term effect of the gun oil isn't good on poly, but I restring every 4-6 days anyway.

I think the Teflon in the gun oil makes it perform well.

db10s 04-24-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polytheist (Post 7366130)
How do you apply the PTFE spray without hitting the frame? Lubricants that touch the frame make my lead tape peel.

I made a card board ring that goes around the string bed and frame.

Backhanded Compliment 04-24-2013 05:18 PM

I silicon spray (B'laster brand) onto a tennis ball and rub it onto the strings... it lathers up and gets into the string crossings and notches then it dries. Works great and doesnt leave marks when dry, lasts and helps me get around 21 hours per gut/poly hybrid. Gut is toughgut 16L and cross is weiscannon silverstring .

ricardo 04-25-2013 11:33 AM

The best string lubricant is a slippery string saver

The best string lubricant is a slippery string saver.

I tried baby oil, olive oil, canola oil, various cooking oil, armor all, wd-40, etc.
They only work for a day than I have to re-apply again.

I tried Babolat elastocross string savers and they are much, much better compared to the different oils/lubricants I tried to date.

They make the strings more slippery (reduces string friction) allowing greater snap-back to help generate more spin.
They last until the string breaks.
They don't collect dirt like the oil based lubricants.
They help extend the life of my natural gut mains.

Forget about oils/lubricants to make your strings more slippery.
Use Babolat elastocross string savers instead.

db10s 04-25-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 7367694)
The best string lubricant is a slippery string saver.

I tried baby oil, olive oil, canola oil, various cooking oil, armor all, wd-40, etc.
They only work for a day than I have to re-apply again.

I tried Babolat elastocross string savers and they are much, much better compared to the different oils/lubricants I tried to date.

They make the strings more slippery (reduces string friction) allowing greater snap-back to help generate more spin.
They last until the string breaks.
They don't collect dirt like the oil based lubricants.
They help extend the life of my natural gut mains.

Forget about oils/lubricants to make your strings more slippery.
Use Babolat elastocross string savers instead.

With a multi or gut I would probably use those but poly goes dead quick and I restring a ton. Now that I think of it, would they be allowed for ITF play? You can't put a dampener above the first cross.

ricardo 04-26-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7367821)
Now that I think of it, would they be allowed for ITF play? You can't put a dampener above the first cross.

String savers are allowed.
You only put them on the sweetspot (8 mains/10 crosses).

For my 16x20 racquet, I put 10 down (crosses) and 8 across (mains) around the sweetspot area only.
It means I put SS beggining from the 6th cross (from the bottom cross) and from the 5th main for 8 mains.

Hope this helps.

This setup enables the mains to snap back and remain straight after every shot. In addition, the slippery quality lasts until the strings break.

db10s 04-26-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 7369813)
String savers are allowed.
You only put them on the sweetspot (8 mains/10 crosses).

For my 16x20 racquet, I put 10 down (crosses) and 8 across (mains) around the sweetspot area only.
It means I put SS beggining from the 6th cross (from the bottom cross) and from the 5th main for 8 mains.

Hope this helps.

This setup enables the mains to snap back and remain straight after every shot. In addition, the slippery quality lasts until the strings break.

I realize that they are allowed, but it seems like they wouldn't be....

ricardo 04-26-2013 05:07 PM

String savers are allowed. Even Roger Federer uses string savers..

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7370229)
I realize that they are allowed, but it seems like they wouldn't be....

String savers are allowed. Even Roger Federer uses string savers..

Povl Carstensen 04-27-2013 12:25 AM

Nosegrease.

Fintft 04-27-2013 07:25 AM

Bow string wax!

String savers make my strings too stiff.

corners 04-27-2013 08:08 AM

I haven't found elastacross string savers to promote main string sliding and snapback. I've used them in a pattern in the center of the stringbed and my perception is that they a) separate the strings enough to increase the angle of the weave, which effectively increases the forces pushing the strings together, and b) constrain the strings so that they must move more linearly along the crosses than they otherwise would. Together, these two effects reduce the distance the main strings slide sideways and effectively increase string-on-string friction, which would reduce the speed at which they snapback. But they do reduce wear at the intersections and after hours of play they should allow the stringbed to function pretty much as it did when the stringsavers were first installed. So taken together, I think a pattern of stringsavers constrains and reduces the efficiency of the snapback mechanism but also allows the mechanism to continue to operate at that reduced level of efficiency for a longer period of time.

A better stringsaver would be flat and very thin, so that it wouldn't increase the angle of the weave and wouldn't constrain the strings and force them to move along the "track" of the stringsaver. This guy's aluminum string savers are almost ideal: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=246634 Even better would be if you could attach small, thin, flat sheets of teflon at each intersection. If this could be done you could use natural gut mains and crosses and get poly-like main string snap back that would not diminish as the strings aged.