Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Question for Siobhan or Brittany (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461638)

MikeHitsHard93 04-24-2013 05:22 PM

Question for Siobhan or Brittany

I am in the process of trying to decide between the Aeropro Drive 2013 and the Pure Drive 2012. What are the differences between these two rackets especially on ground strokes?

MikeHitsHard93 04-24-2013 07:27 PM

Advice from other play testers is welcome too btw!

TW Staff 04-25-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7366434)
I am in the process of trying to decide between the Aeropro Drive 2013 and the Pure Drive 2012. What are the differences between these two rackets especially on ground strokes?

MikeHitsHard93,

Did someone say Pure Drive?!? ;)

Everyone is going to laugh at me, but my pick is the Pure Drive (although I will say I'm partial to the GT line over the 2012s). It's no secret around here that I'm borderline obsessed with Pure Drives!

However, if you are looking for a little more access to some spin, the AeroPro Drive plays awesome and will help you out with that as well. I think it is a great racquet. Andy has been enjoying some time with the APD as of late and just won a doubles tournament using the APD.

Michelle, TW

MikeHitsHard93 04-25-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7367248)
MikeHitsHard93,

Did someone say Pure Drive?!? ;)

Everyone is going to laugh at me, but my pick is the Pure Drive (although I will say I'm partial to the GT line over the 2012s). It's no secret around here that I'm borderline obsessed with Pure Drives!

However, if you are looking for a little more access to some spin, the AeroPro Drive plays awesome and will help you out with that as well. I think it is a great racquet. Andy has been enjoying some time with the APD as of late and just won a doubles tournament using the APD.

Michelle, TW

Hahaha! I agree that the pure drive is a VERY addicting racket to use! The first time I played with one, I knew it was right for me and I should have stayed with it instead of trying numerous other rackets out.

I was highly considering the APD because of it's obvious popularity, and I thought it might help me to raise my game. However, I'm thinking that I may like the slice and booming groundstrokes a little more on the pure drive. Whats your opinion? Thanks :)

TW Staff 04-25-2013 08:37 AM

Yep! I've been using the Pure Drive since it hit the states back in the day, had a brief stint with Wilson, but found my way back (quickly) to the Pure Drive.

Having the opportunity to playtest a bunch of different frames, I always go into a new racquet experience looking for something to take the place of my Pure Drive. Nothing comes close for me. Yes, the APD will help with the slice and spin, but I don't know if you will get anymore power out of it, in my opinion. The other similar racquets to the Pure Drive I have enjoyed would be the Donnay Formula 100 (I really enjoy this racquet at the net!) and the Dunlop F5.0 Tour (that one will definitely add some power to your game).

Don't get me wrong, I like the APD, just not enough to commit full time to it ;)

Michelle, TW

MikeHitsHard93 04-25-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7367427)
Yep! I've been using the Pure Drive since it hit the states back in the day, had a brief stint with Wilson, but found my way back (quickly) to the Pure Drive.

Having the opportunity to playtest a bunch of different frames, I always go into a new racquet experience looking for something to take the place of my Pure Drive. Nothing comes close for me. Yes, the APD will help with the slice and spin, but I don't know if you will get anymore power out of it, in my opinion. The other similar racquets to the Pure Drive I have enjoyed would be the Donnay Formula 100 (I really enjoy this racquet at the net!) and the Dunlop F5.0 Tour (that one will definitely add some power to your game).

Don't get me wrong, I like the APD, just not enough to commit full time to it ;)

Michelle, TW

I'm looking for something to replace my pro open actually! I broke one on an overhead smash, and I want to go with a new brand. Always liked babolat a lot and I'm a baseliner, so these rackets suit me well.

I've demoed about 30 rackets, and I've decided that I'm gonna buy one of these two. How do you feel about extended reach?

TW Staff 04-25-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7367485)
I'm looking for something to replace my pro open actually! I broke one on an overhead smash, and I want to go with a new brand. Always liked babolat a lot and I'm a baseliner, so these rackets suit me well.

I've demoed about 30 rackets, and I've decided that I'm gonna buy one of these two. How do you feel about extended reach?

Ahhh gotcha.

We've been toying around with the APD+, it's a fun frame! You get away a lot though using that frame though, so I'm trying to stay away from it for that reason.

I've also been playing around with the Pure Drive Roddick.

Michelle, TW

souledge 04-25-2013 09:27 AM

Michelle, any more playtests coming out with you in them?

TW Staff 04-25-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by souledge (Post 7367565)
Michelle, any more playtests coming out with you in them?

souledge,

Shoes and strings to come soon! Hopefully some more racquets soon! Stay tuned!

Michelle, TW

MikeHitsHard93 04-25-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7367540)
Ahhh gotcha.

We've been toying around with the APD+, it's a fun frame! You get away a lot though using that frame though, so I'm trying to stay away from it for that reason.

I've also been playing around with the Pure Drive Roddick.

Michelle, TW

What do you mean "you get away a lot"? I learned the basics of the game using an extended racket, so I'm always curious about them.

I actually owned a PDRGT for a short time, but it was a bit bulky and I couldn't whip it fast enough to generate enough topspin. Solid feel though! Best part about it was the slice bh for me.

TW Staff 04-25-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7367618)
What do you mean "you get away a lot"? I learned the basics of the game using an extended racket, so I'm always curious about them.

I actually owned a PDRGT for a short time, but it was a bit bulky and I couldn't whip it fast enough to generate enough topspin. Solid feel though! Best part about it was the slice bh for me.

Ahh ok, I played with an extended frame for a bit before making the Pure Drive switch, I don't think I'd switch back, but I don't have anything against them! I said this about the Steam 99 S as well, but I feel like the APD+ takes some discipline out of your game, so you "get away" with mishits or off timing or bad footwork. That's just my opinion. Some people say that about the Pure Drive too, so to each their own. I think if you enjoy the extended length and like a little extra spin, you'll love the APD+!

Michelle, TW

TW Staff 04-25-2013 10:16 AM

I agree with Michelle! If I had to pick between the two racquets, I would pick the Pure Drive. For me, it has the perfect feel as well as the right amount of power for my game.

However while playtesting the AeroPro Drive and + versions, I found that I liked the plus over the standard length. My reasoning is that the APD is slightly more spin-oriented and the extra length gave me access to a little bit more power that I was craving.

Both are great racquets and really easy to use from the first hit.

Brittany, TW

MikeHitsHard93 04-25-2013 10:28 AM

Thanks so much, ladies! :) I remember the pure drives grip being a bit short, and the plus length has a longer one. I think I am sold on the pure drive plus...I actually need a little help when it comes to being lazy on strokes LOL. I'm thinking the pure drive will have a more solid feel, and I should be able to get more than enough spin out of it.

Should I wait for my return to process first, or should I order my new racket right now? TW is AWESOME!!

TW Staff 04-25-2013 12:45 PM

You inspired me to take the APD+ for a spin this afternoon...that and some of Chris' customized PD Roddick's...

with that being said, my vote still goes 100% to the Pure Drive! (or in your case, the PD+!) :)

Enjoy!

Michelle, TW

MikeHitsHard93 04-25-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7367948)
You inspired me to take the APD+ for a spin this afternoon...that and some of Chris' customized PD Roddick's...

with that being said, my vote still goes 100% to the Pure Drive! (or in your case, the PD+!) :)

Enjoy!

Michelle, TW

Haha :) if you have time, let me know how it went! I am pretty certain on the Pure Drive+ now...now to decide the tension of my synthetic gut...thanks!

TW Staff 04-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7367953)
Haha :) if you have time, let me know how it went! I am pretty certain on the Pure Drive+ now...now to decide the tension of my synthetic gut...thanks!

Yep....the PD Roddick's are customized to between 12.6-12.8 ounces, 4-6 pts HL , 329-334 swingweight, a bit heftier and stiffer and we were playing with TCS at 60lbs in them (well one had Prince Syn Gut, but I stayed away from that one). Fun racquet, solid to hit.

The APD (and APD+) just don't suit me or my game. I play pretty flat and don't have any intention of adding extra spin to my game or balls, so it almost defeats the purpose for me to use that racquet (or the Steam 99S for that matter)...kinda like swimming upstream, trying to use a racquet with technology that I have no intentions of accessing...if that makes any sense?

But if I find a Pure Drive+ laying around, I may string it up and play with it for fun!

Have you thought about trying a poly or poly blend in your strings? ;)

Michelle, TW

v-verb 04-25-2013 01:24 PM

I think Mike's flirting now:razz::razz::razz

Demo both Mike:):)

OK I admit it - Mike's got game!

MikeHitsHard93 04-25-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7367995)
Yep....the PD Roddick's are customized to between 12.6-12.8 ounces, 4-6 pts HL , 329-334 swingweight, a bit heftier and stiffer and we were playing with TCS at 60lbs in them (well one had Prince Syn Gut, but I stayed away from that one). Fun racquet, solid to hit.

The APD (and APD+) just don't suit me or my game. I play pretty flat and don't have any intention of adding extra spin to my game or balls, so it almost defeats the purpose for me to use that racquet (or the Steam 99S for that matter)...kinda like swimming upstream, trying to use a racquet with technology that I have no intentions of accessing...if that makes any sense?

But if I find a Pure Drive+ laying around, I may string it up and play with it for fun!

Have you thought about trying a poly or poly blend in your strings? ;)

Michelle, TW

That's a pretty hefty racket! I would say that my maximum static weight/sw combo is about 12.6 oz @325 sw. The Wilson 6.1 classic is pretty much the racket I'm referring to with this estimate.

When I ordered my PDR, I had hurricane mains @58 and n.vy crosses @60. Played wonderfully, but I tend to lose focus and let my swing get a little wild lol. I'm a 3.5-4.0 player btw.

I already hit with a lot of topspin, so I figured that I don't need any ADDED spin to my game...just a predictable and powerful response that lets me do my normal stroke :) so I understand what you mean. When looking for a racket, you want it to fit YOU. Unless you're a beginner...which I know you aren't!

I considered a poly hybrid...I always seem to play really well with synthetic gut in my pro open though. I'm not a chronic string breaker either...but I do enjoy the spin. Any hybrids I should consider?

MikeHitsHard93 04-25-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7368004)
I think Mike's flirting now:razz::razz::razz

Demo both Mike:):)

OK I admit it - Mike's got game!

Haha I asked for expert advice is all! Michelle seems to be pretty cool and we like the same types of rackets!

I'm done demoing lol. 30+ demoes is enough for me, unless I'm gonna get paid to do it!

TW Staff 04-25-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7368063)
That's a pretty hefty racket! I would say that my maximum static weight/sw combo is about 12.6 oz @325 sw. The Wilson 6.1 classic is pretty much the racket I'm referring to with this estimate.

When I ordered my PDR, I had hurricane mains @58 and n.vy crosses @60. Played wonderfully, but I tend to lose focus and let my swing get a little wild lol. I'm a 3.5-4.0 player btw.

I already hit with a lot of topspin, so I figured that I don't need any ADDED spin to my game...just a predictable and powerful response that lets me do my normal stroke :) so I understand what you mean. When looking for a racket, you want it to fit YOU. Unless you're a beginner...which I know you aren't!

I considered a poly hybrid...I always seem to play really well with synthetic gut in my pro open though. I'm not a chronic string breaker either...but I do enjoy the spin. Any hybrids I should consider?

Gotcha! And exactly, find a racquet to suit you, not a racquet you need to change your game for!

As long as you are getting some longevity out of the syn gut, awesome...once you start breaking strings every 2-4 hours, that's when you will definitely want to make the switch! Although the polys do have some performance qualities that are nice and have added benefits over the syn guts (added control, spin, power, etc.).

As far as a hybrid, one that we are all enjoy right now is Volkl Cyclone 16 with Volkl Power Fiber 2 16. We don't sell it as a hybrid yet...so you will have to get a pack of each, but it'd be fun to check out!

Michelle, TW